SaltCritters.com

Larnie's Nano-Cube DX 92w

larnie

I think if you found an outcropped edge with about 4 or more polyps it would work fine. I think a dremel would make a more accurate cut than the chisel method, just cut the rock under the polyps first, then try to snap or chisel the last bit.

I'm interested to see how that piece colors up in your tank. Very cool find, keep me in mind for a frag too.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quoted from BelowH2O

I think if you found an outcropped edge with about 4 or more polyps it would work fine. I think a dremel would make a more accurate cut than the chisel method, just cut the rock under the polyps first, then try to snap or chisel the last bit.

My understanding is that Favites is very slow growing. This being the case, do you think that fragging would be an effective propagation method?

I was checking my tank this morning and I noticed a small object at the base of one of my yumas. It looks like a small green yuma is beginning to develop.

10630BabyYuma.jpg

Sorry for the poor image quality, the tank lights weren't on yet and the picture is extremely magnified.

Larnie, do you credit your algae-free tank to the sponge and Chemi-Pure regimen you use? BTW, I love the F. halicora! I must find some like that!

Rob

Quoted from reef'n ale  

do you credit your algae-free tank to the sponge and Chemi-Pure regimen you use?

• Weekly water changes

• Proper water flow

• Regular maintenance

• Responsible feeding

• Blue collar clean-up crew

Larnie,

What is your cleanup crew? In my old 5.5 tank, all the algae was cleaned up by a small turbo and a few blue legged hermits. Then a hermit killed my snail for its shell :(

I moved them over to my nanocube. When I started getting algae on the glass, I put in two turbos and a few small snails, its cleared right up. But as I suspected, turbos are knocking things over.

I'm going to be adding one emerald crab, a few nessarious (sp?) snails, and some bumblebee snails (I have one as a hitchiker, its cute). But don't know if I should do the standard astrea or something else to replace these turbos.

Quoted from techabytes  

What is your cleanup crew?

(5) Astrea Snails

(3) Bumble Bee Snalls

(2) Nassarius Snails

(3) Small Reef Hermits

I'm not a big fan of clawed critters, but the hermits are effective. I'd think twice about the emerald crab, the jury is still out on them. I agree with your observation of turbo snails, they are kinda like bulls in a china shop.

Thanks! I like to see the numbers, helps me determine what I should get. I agree on the hermits, I'm not fond of them. But I had this one cool shaped rock that was covered in hair algae, and over one weekend, my hermits picked it spotlessly clean. Can't do without them.

Toni

• 1 month later...

Thanks Bobby. Your tank appears to be progressing very nicely as well. Your location in Summit County made me think of something...

Who has the highest altitude nano on this forum?

Your altitude has to be pretty high up where you live. Its kind of interesting to consider maintaining a contained reef environment at over a mile above sea level.

Thanks--- My Nano is at 9600 ft aboce sea level in Copper Mountain, Colorado. It is interesting to think that I have a piece of the ocean 9600 ft above sea level.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
Reggie,

You may want a package of these powerstrip liberators to save space on your ReefKeeper. I think that there are one or two large plug adapters that would otherwise waste space on your ReefKeeper powerstrip.

Have you decided where you are going to put your Nano-Cube?

It took me forever to find this link... couldn't remember what thread I saw it in from years ago. Anyway, those liberators work great for the RK. I really like the "Plus" model since it allows you to "piggy-back" into the back of the liberator (allowing you to plug 2 devices into one outlet). I ordered my first set nearly 2 years ago, and I'm ordering another set today. I find myself using them all over the house!

FYI... the link above no longer works. Here's the new link:

http://www.improvementscatalog.com/product/id/101437.do

Archived