Innovative Marine Aquariums

Larnie's Nano-Cube DX 92w

larnie

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I got my nano cube from nanocustoms last Friday , thanks to Chris' speedy setup.

That's great Reggie. Are you pleased with your Cube from Nanocustoms? Post some pictures to show us how your aquascaping is progressing.

One question i have, a guy at one of my LFS has LR that is $15/lb, calling it 'Carribean rock'. The guy has a very impressive store as i have been all around my area looking who has what, but has anyone ever heard of this type of LR? Is it worth the price? He says he is the only one he knows of on the west coast that has it

Also last question, what about using sea water to start your cycle. A few of my lfs have it for like a dollar a gallon and are recommending it to reduce cycle time and for water changes later. Thanks much.

Hello Jest,

Welcome to the Nano Reef hobby! I am sure that you are going to enjoy your new Nano-Cube in the months ahead. You've already made a good investment of your time by researching on Nano-Reef.com.

I am not personally familiar with Carribean Rock, but $15 a pound is pricey compared to the $7-$8 a pound for Fiji or the like. Given that you're going to want 10+ pounds, you'll have to evaluate what your budget will bear. The only negative thing I have read about Atlantic rock is that it can be dense and not very porous.

I have had good sucess using DI salwater mixed at my LFS. Using DI water helps by reducing unwanted elements. I pay .75¢ a gallon from my LFS. You will also want to have a DI freshwater source to replace your water lost to evaporation. DI freshwater is available for about .50¢ a gallon.

I have read of hobbyists successfully using sea water, but I have no first hand experience with it.

Originally posted by larnie

Here's a picture of my latest find. Its a small, just over an inch, pink yuma. Davinaster tracked it down for me at her lfs

10630NewPinkYuma.jpg  

Thanks Davina.

BTW, larnie, I contributed the finder's fee you paid me to my fundraising for the breast cancer 3 Day Walk I'm training to do in July (http://www.the3day.org) - 60 miles in 3 days! If you go to my fundraising HQ at https://www.kintera.org/faf/donorReg/donorP...&supId=69822020 you can see the donation listed as coming from "Pink Yuma" :D

That's great Davina! Sixty miles in three days requires a substantial amount of effort. I'm sure that you will be up to the challenge. Thanks for posting the link, I plan on contributing directly. This is a good cause and well worthy of our support. Anyone interested should check it out.

That's great Reggie. Are you pleased with your Cube from Nanocustoms? Post some pictures to show us how your aquascaping is progressing.

Chris did a great job, I am very happen with the system. The only thing is that the fans were louder then I expected...kinda sounds like my rack servers.

I decided not to close the intake in chamber 1 because this also acts as an overflow when the water levels are low. If the intake were closed and the water levels got low enough, all the water in the chambers would all be transferred to the main area resulting in the powerheads only pumping air. I noticed this when I partially filled the tank.

But I did create a new exhaust in chamber 1 and used the stock pump until i get the tunze 5024.04; which is on back-order.

After putting bio-spira to accelate my cycle, I was kinda of leary that my LFS were telling me it was ok to put fish in there only after a couple days. I checked my levels for the first few days and they were good.

Hopefully I didn't make a mistake and put my fish in too early. I'm keeping an eye on him and he seems to be O.K., but as soon as he looks stressed I'm taking him out.

Thanks again for all your help Larnie.

Reggie.

cyberguru,

if you don't want to totally restrict the flow but still have the trickle effect cover the intake grate like I did but drill a couple small holes to allow some flow.

when the trunze isn't on some flow will occur back through it.

The powerheads have plenty of water in my tank, even when both are running.

Covering the stock intake won't stop that, the level will drop but no lower than the powerhead intake, mine water levels stay above the tops of the powerhead...

If you don't cover it with black plexi your fuge light is going to spill out of your intake...

if you don't want to totally restrict the flow but still have the trickle effect cover the intake grate like I did but drill a couple small holes to allow some flow.

Good point putz, drilling a small hole below the instake would solve this problem. I guess that is why they had the small hole there in the first place just in case the water levels reached below the intakes.

Thanks. I'll give it try...

Reggie.

thanks putz,

but my concern wasn't whether the pumps could have enough water power to pump the water back out, but that if the water in the main area falls below the lowest intake hole minus the total amount water in the chambers to reach that intake level, the result will be in having the chambers being empty because water can't get back in. so to play it safe, i'll probably put the safety hole a little lower.

cool.

Water flows back through my second pump so If my water level were to drop that would happen.

The water level would have to empty out of the back first, you'd have to be down a gallon.

Hey Larnie,

I am thinking about getting a 92 watt nanocube from chris. I was wondering what is your overall take on the cube at 92 watt? I see you have a small clam and sps in your tank. Are they holding color and thriving? What is your honest opinion? What do you think 92 watt of 12 dx nanocube is capable of keeping?

By the way, that is an awsome looking nano.

First Nano

First Nano,

Thanks for your kind comment.

I believe that the Nano-Cube is a great platform for those hobbyists who are looking for a compact, integrated reef system that is aesthetically pleasing. However, the stock system provides minimal lighting for a marine aquarium. The good news is that there are viable options to upgrade the Nano-Cube to attain lighting adequate for a larger variety of corals.

I believe that the Nanocustoms 92 watt Nano-Cube DX 12 is a well-balanced choice. When I say balanced, I'm referring to the trade off between light and heat. The more bulbs in your hood, the more heat applied to your tank. It is possible to add one additional 10 watt T5 to the show area of the 92 watt Nano-Cube. The problem is that by adding this third T5, with integrated ballast, you may have a problem withstanding the rise in ambient temperature during the summer months.

With a 92 watt system you can have practically any soft or LPS coral you like. The more brightly colored zoanthids and ricordea will also appreciate the more intense lighting. Small clams, that depend more upon phytoplankton feeding, will also remain healthy and display good color. I have had a montipora digitata in my tank for a short period of time that continues to do well. Less light demanding SPS of this type may be able to remain healthy and display well over the long run.

If you are seriously looking at maintaining larger clams or more light demanding SPS, I would recommend that you consider a metal halide system. Uchiha's 18 gallon Via Aqua might provide inspiration for a system of this type.

I am still convinced that the upgraded Nano-Cube is the choice for people like me. I'm not interested in a system that has the appearance of a science project. The soft corals, LPS corals, invertebrates and fish that can be supported in such a system make for a wonderful display and challenge.

Larnie,

Interesting effects you used on the previous pictures. Was that done in photoshop? if so, what filters did you use?

Reggie.

Yes, those images were products of Photoshop. The Plastic Wrap filter was used to create the effect. It almost looks like the water from the tank is draning out exposing the coral to the surface.

nanocustoms.com

It has come to my attention that some customers are running their systems without fans in early morning (T5 only) modes.

Please be advised that the fans must remain on AT ALL TIMES (hence the yellow sticker on the hood) during the light cycle and should remain on for at least 1 hour after the lights go off to prevent excess heat buildup.

Some customers have reported premature expiration of T5 units and I must make it known that I can no longer warrant systems that do not follow these procedures.

It should also be stated that the T5s are probably watt for watt the biggest source of heat in these canopies since they integrate the ballast and bulb into the fixture.

If you have any questions or comments, please contact me at chris@nanocustoms.com for more information.

Thank you,

Chris

Nanocustoms.com

Hey Chris,

Thanks for setting up my system so fast, It looks and works great!!

I keep my fans on all the time except when only the moonlights are on since those LEDs don't produce much heat.

I had a question about the existing fans used with the refugium lights. I would like to replace the fans with quiter ball bearing type. The fans kinda sounds like my rack servers; which I ended up replacing with quiter ones.

What size are the existing ones and are they the BB type?

I don't mind spending extra for quiter fans. It would make difference in my situation.

Thanks again.

Reggie.

P.S. I also recall nanocustoms had an option for variable speed adjuster for the fans. Is that still available?

nanocustoms.com

HI reggie,

No problem on the quick turnaround...

The fans are 60x10mm and were chosen because they will accomodate the Fuge light, while offering proper ventilation.

Ill be honest with you tho, finding a quieter 60x10 is going to be a tall order, because they arent a common size. I used to use the 60x10mm evercool aluminum fans (available from Frys), but those are even louder.

The fans included on your tank are already BB fans.

The main source of noise comes from the air going around the fuge light, unfortunately a necessary evil.

regarding the variable speed, I have chosen to stop offering that on my systems as I cannot be sure that my customers can maintain safe operating conditions with varying speed. You are free to try, but i cannot accept any responsibility for heat issues that may arise.

As most of you know, each and every nanocustoms complete system/hood gets tested for heat before leaving. In general, the larnies run at 105F (vs 126 stock), and larnie+fuge around 110-112F (vs 126 stock). They run cooler than stock because i address some design flaws in JBJs stock heat shield.

My real recommendation is to try to "get used" to the sound until i can find some quieter fans.

Also, on a side note, as a southern californian, you have an advantage in that I can perform the mod to the fans later on down the line and you can preserve your warranty without any repercussions. Although a fan mod is very simple, it will require some soldering, so if you arent comfortable with it, I can do it for you.

Sorry for the bad news, reggie, but i think with the risks associated with a high powered lighting system, the fans although slightly louder, must be in place and in use at all times.

Chris

Chris,

Thanks for the input, good to know your systems run cooler then the stock Nano Cubes.

I'll see what i can find for a replacement.

I don't have a problem soldering as I do it all the time with my RC hobby. But this would probably mean the 6 month warranty would be void if I replaced it? Correct?

Thanks again.

Reggie.

nanocustoms.com

No, ill still warrant all upstream modifications performed by nanocustoms.com.

Try looking for some 60x10mm fans that have a db rating less than 32db and at least 16cfm.

If you happen to find some, please let me know as i am always interested in improving the performance of my products.

Chris

Chris,

Are those the specs on the fans installed with the refugium light? 32db and 16cfm?

32db is quiet for that size fan.

You're probably right then, the humming sound maybe coming from the stream of air within the refugium area.

Reggie.

whose thread is this anyway? I thought it was called "Larnie's Nano-Cube DX."

My apologizes Larnie, I did not intend to hijack your thread.

If it's any consolation, the 'Fans' in question are in a Larnie DX 92w Nano Cube. :)

I will PM Chris from now on...

Thanks

Reggie.

Archived