Top Shelf Aquatics

ML's 14 IM Peninsula

ml86743

Crawford_T
On 5/10/2024 at 6:43 AM, ml86743 said:

I think I'm going to give the ESV salt a shot for this tank.  It just sits very close to my desired parameters and I've heard some good things about it.  

Im actually trying to decide which salt to run as I’d like to switch away from LFS water (had planned to since beginning). I’m looking at Nyos, Tropic Marine regular and now I’ll check out ESV. 

ml86743
On 5/11/2024 at 8:08 PM, Crawford_T said:

Im actually trying to decide which salt to run as I’d like to switch away from LFS water (had planned to since beginning). I’m looking at Nyos, Tropic Marine regular and now I’ll check out ESV. 

I’ve read some good things about NYOS no first hand reviews yet but I was interested in that myself.  I think the alk was ultimately a bit low for my taste 

• 2 weeks later...
ml86743

Still here 🙂

making some stand modifications with a friend who has actual tools and knowledge of how to do stuff like this 😂

today I learned about mitered corners…added some left over ply to the inside and got the hole for the plumbing straightened out.  He had some left over cypress so we used that over the original ply trim I did. 

IMG_2438.thumb.jpeg.754ccbd52cdcfea7c73359cbb9cbebd2.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
ml86743
14 hours ago, Airedale.Reef said:

Solid work! Looks very good! 👍 

8 hours ago, Kev1n said:

Thats a very professional looking finish.

I’ll let my buddy know lol!

Long story short I tried the magnets for a pull off door and it was a fail, I like the idea but the magnets I got I guess weren’t strong enough to hold the 1/2 inch ply.  I had one in each corner.  

maybe going with traditional doors or door less - not quite sure yet 

thinking about keeping the cypress natural and just using some clear coat?  Thoughts on that?  I like the white/natural but nice stain of the right color might look nice too.

Airedale.Reef
4 minutes ago, ml86743 said:

thinking about keeping the cypress natural and just using some clear coat?  Thoughts on that?  I like the white/natural but nice stain of the right color might look nice too.

I think it really depends on the other furniture pieces in the house or tank room. I would try to mimic those colors or add something lighter/darker for contrast.

I agree that the clear coat could look nice, but I personally would lean towards a darker stain for me. Just my personal preference...

ml86743

I'll have to check out the different options.  I was considering maybe doing a white wash but I feel like that ruins the nice look of the cypress. All in all, this is a huge improvement and I'm way happier with the look.  

Plus we were able to make the plumbing hole entry larger so I think that'll make a huge difference for the pipes to fit better.  I was still rubbing a hair on the drains and now that should be no issue 🙂

• Like 2
ml86743

Couple shots from like a week ago - zoas are going through it again.  Pretty

much every variety except the AOI’s and green palys.  Paletta pink tip stripped out and the bird of paradise/tropicana anacro have peeled slightly..not dead by any means.  Something’s been up.   Nutrients have been higher than usual but this tank has generally been “high nutrient”  Since summer started our windows have been closed and pH is generally between 7.6 (night) 8(day).  That’s a pretty significant change.  The tnt Anacropora has exploded with growth and pretty much all other SPS/LPS are fine.  I don’t have the time to worry about the little things I can’t even test for at this point.  All other levels have been within range.  I’m excited to get the new tank wet and seed it with some real ocean live rock.  I’ve read a few articles on R2R about zoa issues and one of the more helpful avenues was providing the tank with the beneficial bacteria from real LR.  Pics below:)IMG_2350.thumb.jpeg.dc43ee1fb5272a1b072fd29f016a222d.jpegIMG_2351.thumb.jpeg.bdff8ec6a0d247a8290513a4d0529b1d.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Wow 2
ml86743
1 minute ago, Kev1n said:

Very nice.

Just no dang room lol..thank you for the kind words 

Reefkid88

I'm sure coral will appreciate all that new room for activities lol. 

Could you please elaborate on which leds are on their own channels,purdy please ?!!!??! 

Airedale.Reef
2 hours ago, ml86743 said:

I’m excited to get the new tank wet and seed it with some real ocean live rock.

Absolutely! Looking forward to this as

well. I must say, you pull some of the best colors out of your corals. Well done! 👌🏽

• Agree 1
ml86743
56 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

I'm sure coral will appreciate all that new room for activities lol. 

Could you please elaborate on which leds are on their own channels,purdy please ?!!!??! 

For the Maxspect?  Does this help lol.

Speaking of the lighting, I might just get another one of these and hang two. IMG_2464.thumb.png.d6e29004658847b0a72f43a08d4648e9.png

Reefkid88

Okay,so I could be wrong but 

UV,Violet,RB/Blue,Green,Red,Whites (not in that order) but channels kinda go like that ? I have always been interested in the light but had a feeling the royals ans regular blues would be on the same channel. Is it windexy at all ? 

ml86743

Yeah just missing the yellow channel.  

this is it right here.  I don’t think it’s too windex like.  You can really tune it to your liking.   It’s got a nice natural mid day glow too when all the channels are up.  IMG_2465.thumb.png.056da9fd7c10e93c5021a8468d914947.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
ml86743

Few top downs from this AM.

you can see the BOP missing a piece of flesh but it’s not getting any worse.

i have noticed the ROAB purple digi has way better PE in the last few days too.  For awhile it was sucked in pretty tight, I think I’ve water changed whatever funk was in the tank out of it.  Fingers crossed zoas respond and whoever lost some flesh heal up.

weird bump in PH yesterday - last year during the summer, I had a spell of poor coral health with a severe dip in PH( not related to high CO2, abnormal dip) 

the same thing kinda happened here..wonder why that happens 

IMG_2469.thumb.jpeg.f0d02f1ed4a261bcd10cc03cca337092.jpegIMG_2470.thumb.jpeg.3b170481553dd1a244bc54589a21b966.jpeg

• Like 1

Param check as of yesterday:

Alk: 8.1

PO4: .22

Nitrate: 5.4

MG: 1310

CA: 485

I'm guessing the nutrients are to blame for the recent downturn in health.  The big three have pretty much remained the same.

PO4 has been coming down consistently.  I'm still perplexed by the fluctuation of the health of my zoas in this tank....Seeing a turn around on a few though.   My green anacro came loose yesterday and landed on the white alvey, has a couple battle scars but it'll be fine.  I'm really starting to get the itch to get the new tank up and running.  Still have to finish the stand with paint and get it back from my friends house. IMG_2481.thumb.jpg.54986fa93048ffe22db0841333b7ce94.jpg

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Kev1n said:

I would hope that if some of your zoas have turned the corner the rest will likely follow.

I don't get my hopes up at this point - it's been hit or miss since the get go.