Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

ML's 14 IM Peninsula

ml86743

Pics incoming: 

You can see in the top down the TnT Anacaro has lost some color and has some pretty white tips.  I can see polyps still and I wouldn’t consider this “peeling”.

The green ninja turtle acro on the left is 50/50.  It’s been slowly peeling from the bottom, probably a goner but it was cheap.  

hoping things turn around for the better.  I did get a free ICP test through WWC.  It’s the company in Colorado, I just sent that out so we’ll see what that shows.   

still rolling on though, can’t complain too much.  The peppermint shrimp ate every aptasia I can see, so that’s good! Tested nutrients last night - PO4 was very low but NO3 was good.  

added the aquamaxx bullet 1 on and it’s my new favorite nano skimmer AND you can buy a replacement pump:) 

I want more fish..lol

Anyway here’s some photos

53462640495_dd1e448fe4_b.jpg 53461322277_a7102d5c0a_b.jpg 53462540264_8eac5ccc06_b.jpg

• Like 4

Not sure how I missed it, but my alveopora had broken off its mount and ended up in the pit of the cave.  Was watching a YT vid and they brought up alvey/goni's and I was like s**t..I haven't seen mine in two days...SO around 12AM last night I fished it out of the cave and stuck it on the frag rack.  The side that was face down doesn't look great, but this morning it was extending all the polyps.  I think it'll be fine, I'll probably move it to the front of the scape. 

• Like 2
Fishy Guy
45 minutes ago, ml86743 said:

Not sure how I missed it, but my alveopora had broken off its mount and ended up in the pit of the cave.  Was watching a YT vid and they brought up alvey/goni's and I was like s**t..I haven't seen my in two days...SO around 12AM last night I fished it out of the cave and stuck it on the frag rack.  The side that was face down doesn't look great, but this morning it was extending all the polyps.  I think it'll be fine, I'll probably move it to the front of the scape. 

Have you found it to be difficult overall? I really like gonis but have heard they can be pretty finicky.

Alveopora not really.  It came to me pretty nicely colored and it eventually lost the beautiful white but it was growing quickly with excellent PE.  I've killed one goni in this tank though and have only ever had minimal success in the past..I think feeding is key really.  I've also heard they appreciate less intense lighting..  I'm not an expert - but I will say as they have become increasingly aqua cultured, they have become substantially easier to keep.   I'll probably try another in the future.  I'd say give it a go, maybe start with some of the more common variants?  I feel like some people grow these things like crazy with minimal effort..

• Like 2
Reefkid88

Both of my goni's look like ass. Were super happy for a few days,and now for the last few weeks just the literal tips of the tentecles are all that comes out. 

I have heard maganese is the key for them,from Top Shelf and WWC both and a few people over at R2R have said the same. I have reached out to a IG vendor for help as well. 

1 hour ago, Reefkid88 said:

Both of my goni's look like ass. Were super happy for a few days,and now for the last few weeks just the literal tips of the tentecles are all that comes out. 

I have heard maganese is the key for them,from Top Shelf and WWC both and a few people over at R2R have said the same. I have reached out to a IG vendor for help as well. 

Interesting.  I'm wondering if this is facilitated through dosing or just WC's.

In case anybody is curious, alvey looks pretty good for spending a few days in the cave haha.  Even the face down side is back out!  I'll probably leave it on the rack to heal up then decide where to put it. 

53468533374_bc7051d53a_b.jpg

• Like 2
geekreef_05
22 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

Mg is definitely the key. 

Gotta have strong Ca and Mg levels to keep Gonis and Torches

• Agree 1
geekreef_05
On 1/14/2024 at 11:03 AM, ml86743 said:

Pics incoming: 

You can see in the top down the TnT Anacaro has lost some color and has some pretty white tips.  I can see polyps still and I wouldn’t consider this “peeling”.

The green ninja turtle acro on the left is 50/50.  It’s been slowly peeling from the bottom, probably a goner but it was cheap.  

hoping things turn around for the better.  I did get a free ICP test through WWC.  It’s the company in Colorado, I just sent that out so we’ll see what that shows.   

still rolling on though, can’t complain too much.  The peppermint shrimp ate every aptasia I can see, so that’s good! Tested nutrients last night - PO4 was very low but NO3 was good.  

added the aquamaxx bullet 1 on and it’s my new favorite nano skimmer AND you can buy a replacement pump:) 

I want more fish..lol

Anyway here’s some photos

53462640495_dd1e448fe4_b.jpg 53461322277_a7102d5c0a_b.jpg 53462540264_8eac5ccc06_b.jpg

Amazing that you have all those corals together! Great looking reef. 

The aquascape is very cool. 

I also like that skimmer. 

Is it loud? Hows the pump? 

• Agree 1
6 hours ago, geekreef_05 said:

Amazing that you have all those corals together! Great looking reef. 

The aquascape is very cool. 

I also like that skimmer. 

Is it loud? Hows the pump? 

Not loud at all, it’s the sicce nano something?? I highly recommend it and it wasn’t that expensive.    It’s been pulling out gunk since the start - no micro bubs, no nonsense. 

Maaan redsea just dropped that 33 gal max nano :rolleyes:

I want just a hair more space..the dimensions are perfect..

On 1/19/2024 at 10:38 AM, TheKleinReef said:

looking so good!!!

Thanks!

Little bit of an update (not really much at all) -

Most everything is doing fine - I still have trouble with zoas though.  Literally only the "smaller polyp" variety.  I'll see them regain their health for a few weeks only to start to shrink and stay closed.  Palys are not affected at all.  The ugly green ones and magicians  are always fine and grow well LPS/SPS are fine too...Might try a dose of chemiclean.  I've heard is has some anti-bacterial properties that others have had success bringing zoas back.   

I actually just got the results back from the free ICP-Analysis and didn't really see much of anything concerning.    I will say I do not think their numbers are accurate.  My salinity came back at 28 ppt..I calibrate frequently with multiple calibration solutions and always around 33-35ppt.

Magnesium was listed as 1184 - My tests read north of 1300 for the last few months every time - test verified with reference solution.

Calcium was 354 - my tests are usually right around 450-485 - test verified with reference solution.  

Only trace element/metal that came back high was Vanadium, but I take this with a grain of salt.  Supposedly manganese and strontium are low too, but again how will I know this is accurate?  I won't...

Iron was low too - this is the only one that peaks my interest as I believe there is some evidence appropriate iron levels in reef tanks may have some benefit.   

I'm on the fence regarding these trace elements and the accuracy of ICP testing.  While it can be a great tool I think there's room for error and sample handling plays a large role in this.  My test went to CO so I'm sure it froze a few times..

Does anybody here trace element dose? (not including A4R) more specifically single element dosing if an ICP test comes back low?  Moonshiner method?  I'm curious

OH I also started to dose some phyto, cause why not.  5mL daily for now.  

• Like 1

Took some photos at lunch today.  Things looked pretty good.  Tank glass is very dirty, ran out of razors 🙂.  Winston (Pink Streaked) is too photo shy..He is usually out when I come up to the tank but as SOON as I bust of the camera he's gone lol

Also the paletta pink tip seems to be starting to do a lil encrusting :):):):)  Can't really see it here..it's just a nub but still.  Exciting stuff:)  The "Ninja Turtle" green nub has kinda stopped receding from the base? Not sure what it's going to end up doing but I aint gonna tinker.  If it lives great..if not it is what it is.  Stil have pissed off zoas, I think I just need to accept it's not going to change and I think that means I'll have to continue my trial and error.  I have some spots I think would look great with a nice mat growing so I'll probably get some new frags in the future and cross my fingers.  Funny how some varieties just keep on keeping on

53485015391_a4e0a19966_b.jpg

53485425580_241e8edf7a_b.jpg 53485157093_c1187a9205_b.jpg 53485317719_8d06958751_b.jpg 53485317634_75e4ff6bb1_b.jpg 53484105502_2d7e33852e_b.jpg 53485003386_a02ab08dfa_b.jpg

• Like 5

Alright we are starting to run into some space issues..just walked up on my orange/green chalice trying to digest the red/green center blastos.  Luckily I think it just started so I was able to move the Blasto frag disc to the sand with minimal damage. 

Broke off three more monti cap frags too.  I’m about to just show up to the LFS with 15 of these things lol.  What do yall do with em, I don’t wanna just throw them out 😂 

#ineedabiggertank

debbeach13
10 hours ago, ml86743 said:

I’m about to just show up to the LFS with 15 of these things lol.  What do yall do with em, I don’t wanna just throw them out 😂 

Agreed I hate throwing coral in the bin. Even if the LFS doesn't give you much for them it beats killing them. I also try every now and then to see if I can trade or even just give them to a local reefer.

49 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Agreed I hate throwing coral in the bin. Even if the LFS doesn't give you much for them it beats killing them. I also try every now and then to see if I can trade or even just give them to a local reefer.

For real haha, some LFS just say no!  I’m like it’s free money for you I didn’t even want anything lol!

debbeach13

They are often concerned about cross contamination or pests. A lot depends on the coral. Unfortunately, I don't have any SPS or high-end fancy corals.   I have always had better luck trading in toadstools than any common discosoma mushroom. They also like coral on frag plugs more than rock. This is just my experience with one store.

On 1/26/2024 at 9:18 AM, debbeach13 said:

They are often concerned about cross contamination or pests. A lot depends on the coral. Unfortunately, I don't have any SPS or high-end fancy corals.   I have always had better luck trading in toadstools than any common discosoma mushroom. They also like coral on frag plugs more than rock. This is just my experience with one store.

Makes sense though, I get it.  Need some frag plugs I literally have them mounted on some random junk right now haha. 

Left side of the tank lookin good this evening.  I’ve been a new day to day routine - heavy nutrients in and heavy export out.   I’ve never tested less and things looks better than ever.  In the words of cam newton.. “simple equals fast😂😂”. Not really relevant but I wanted to get that quote in there somehow. 

tried to upload the other side via NR and it kept turning it upside down.

IMG_1755.thumb.jpeg.750ce1d9beb1b18cb67e8abfad77fda8.jpeg

• Like 4

This has to be the ROAB purple digi right? No one will confirm this for me lol IMG_1775.thumb.jpeg.7246c81175aaa8320127323725d0cb72.jpeg

you can see the paletta pink tip is coming along here too!  

getting lazy with these phone pics…IMG_1772.thumb.jpeg.dcb21804859c4df0ca11c9a357f93a62.jpeg

• Like 2

Also just for nostalgic purposes - look where this thing was!

Dino Days:

52643022243_8fa30b7f6e_b.jpg

The purple digi or w/e it is lol was pretty much on it's way out!

53100378597_0b79ae30a0_b.jpg

53034110293_09e189a358_b.jpg 53485425580_241e8edf7a_b.jpg

• Like 2
Staticmoves
4 minutes ago, ml86743 said:

Also just for nostalgic purposes - look where this thing was!

Dino Days:

52643022243_8fa30b7f6e_b.jpg

The purple digi or w/e it is lol was pretty much on it's way out!

53100378597_0b79ae30a0_b.jpg

53034110293_09e189a358_b.jpg 53485425580_241e8edf7a_b.jpg

love that scape

1 hour ago, Staticmoves said:

love that scape

Thanks!  It's changed a bit.  I like the look for sure - My only gripe is I wish I went a little lighter on the amount of rock.  Don't have alot of space between the walls and scape for cleaning purposes.  I also wish I set the tank up to viewed length wise instead of having the front panel facing out...but it is what it is.  Maybe I'll make some adjustments eventually. 

Staticmoves
43 minutes ago, ml86743 said:

Thanks!  It's changed a bit.  I like the look for sure - My only gripe is I wish I went a little lighter on the amount of rock.  Don't have alot of space between the walls and scape for cleaning purposes.  I also wish I set the tank up to viewed length wise instead of having the front panel facing out...but it is what it is.  Maybe I'll make some adjustments eventually. 

looking forward to observing the growth!

On 1/30/2024 at 5:29 PM, stingray72 said:

very nice pictures and set up.

Thank you!!

couple pics from tn.  73C0EC75-42D8-4664-9786-7E7D9E33CFD0.thumb.jpeg.c9090b1d5bbc4ac61e0dcafdd2791cd3.jpegDSC08802.thumb.jpeg.06f91f88acd6cc5095787d8be16c7850.jpegDSC08810.thumb.jpeg.f50f1094f446c2d336471a56234083c5.jpeg