Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

ML's 14 IM Peninsula

ml86743

Moved the tank over to the APS stand yesterday evening.  Drained about 8 gallons and just walked it over and refilled.  Its not EXACTLY level but I'm not sweating it over a nano tank.  Right side is a touch higher.  

I like the idea of the APS stands a lot but I'll be honest I've had a little anxiety over the structural integrity..I know I tightened the locks extremely well...but its just a high and slim stand and it freaks me out.  I'll get over it..just happy it's moved to a low traffic area. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm gonna try and take some photos this weekend.  Added a few new SPS, changed some water - now just aiming for some stability and growout! 

I did notice a significant dip in dkh between water changes, 8.1-7.4 over the course of 5 days.  May have to start a dosing program.  

Sand bed is always dirty, trying to address that when I can. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

APEX is online and I already love it, working on maximizing color of the corals.  PO4 is still being consumed heavily so trying to get some sustainable nutrients in the water.  No pics 😞 been real busy but everyone is happy, seeing some good growth on some corals others are chillin'.  Coming up on the five month mark in seven days 🙂  

Alk is defiantly starting to be consumed more rapidly, seeing a 8.1-7.3-7.5 weekly drop.  Currently relying on WC's to correct consumption. 

I've also been throwing around the idea of pulling all my rocks and fish for an hour or so and really giving the sandbed a good vacuum.  Throw everybody in a tote and refill when I'm done.  Not a "rip clean" just a quick maintenance.  Something I need to get better at is making sure I have enough room to work inside the tank.  The rockwork doesn't allow me to reach all the nooks.

• Like 1

Long Overdue PICS 

52813847138_af86638b69_b.jpg

52813392236_031287cb6c_b.jpg

52813804880_ee58a2fe6e_b.jpg

52813587989_6ba41c0d7f_b.jpg

52812834692_7497896d23_b.jpg

52812834547_b2442eca7d_b.jpg

52813587444_c9f0301691_c.jpg

Still trying to pull out some better color on the SPS.  Finally picked up some 2-part and I'm gonna try and fine-tune the dkh.  7 Days is seeing 8.2-7.6 drop. I'll probably start with a recommended dose in the middle of the week and see where that gets me.  Not seeing fantastic SPS growth just yet, so hopefully bringing the numbers to a consistent spot will allow them to thrive. 

Blastos are the only fast growing LPS, I'd like to get these chalices moving too.  The acan i got ahwile back has been doing better an eating consistently.  (Glued in the back out of view)

Zoas are on & off.  

Alve/goni are doing well and eating 3 times a week:)

Fish are happy tho!

• Like 5
  • ml86743 changed the title to ML's 14 IM Peninsula - April FTS & New Pics!

So I changed 2.5 gallons this Tuesday and I spiked my alk from roughly 7.6-8.6.  I can defiantly see a change in certain corals reacting poorly (nothing dire still look decent) while some seem to be happier.  I think I'm going to shoot for 7.8-8 via manually dosing.  I've been testing at the same time daily since and I've seen a .2 drop each day.  CA is at 518 mag was 1410 yesterday.  I'm guessing I will just have to dose the alk (part 2) mid week to start and see where that gets me.  Only going to change 1 gallon from here on out.  

The only reason I changed more was I needed to give the sandbed a good vacuum.  

I also HATE that I have to put the MP10 on the front glass but I don't know that there is a better option.  I like that the return/vortech run into each other.  I guess a nero could go in the back but then I'm missing out on the dueling flow..

• Like 1

Cerith snails are spawning like crazy.  New sets of eggs continue to pop up constantly.  

If my calculations are right, today would be the day to dose to keep the alk right around 8.  I'm gonna test here in a bit and see where were at.  Probably do a Ca test too see if that's dropping at all. 

• Like 2

Love the tank ML.

is that a green goblin anacopora forbesi I see? I’ve been searching for a TNT anacropora, as I like the briar like growth.

keep up the good work!

• Like 1
5 hours ago, EireSPS said:

Love the tank ML.

is that a green goblin anacopora forbesi I see? I’ve been searching for a TNT anacropora, as I like the briar like growth.

keep up the good work!

Yeah man got it for 10 bucks in pretty bad shape, lots of dead skeleton when I took it home but the parts that remained alive are doing wonderfully!

Thanks!

6 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

Neat little tank you got,everything looks super clean. I likey. 

Working on it, definatly been through some growing pains especially early on..but we're crusin.  

Update:

Alk tested out @ 7.7 as expected, dosed 3mL of B of the two part, calcium was @ 485 so I didnt bother adding any.  Overshot my dosage a hair and alk came up to 8.3 4 hours later.  Interestingly enough, I noticed that the green/orange chalice retracted which also happened after the large WC spike.   Although that chalice had looked better than ever before dosing, I'm glad to start to have a pulse on how things react to specific changes.  The sweet spot for the tank is absolutely right around 7.8-8 so the new plan is to wait for the alk to drop back to 7.8, then hit it with 1.5 ml.

Anybody know any good dosing pumps besides the DOS to pair with an apex? I'll probably just be dosing 2 part and honestly the automation of the new controller has already been amazing. 

I've also been adding  1.5mL of neophos daily..PO4 will still bottom out with 3x a day feedings..

• Like 2
On 4/19/2023 at 3:36 AM, xellos88 said:

This tank will look amazing when it grows in.

We just gotta get to the "growin" part.  Some of the corals are still settling in 

I appreciate the kind words!

Hey y’all, I have a question hopefully someone can help me out with.

Has anyone had any experience with chalices retracting when nutrients levels are too low?  I’ve continued to struggle with keeping readable levels of PO4 and after a work trip I came home to my chalices looking pretty tight to their skeletons.  I had left out pre-measured doses of NeoPhos but they were defiantly on the conservative side and tank feedings were not consistent with my normal routine (I usually am at 3x a day).  PO4 tested out at 0.  Thanks in advance! 

21 minutes ago, ml86743 said:

Hey y’all, I have a question hopefully someone can help me out with.

Has anyone had any experience with chalices retracting when nutrients levels are too low?  I’ve continued to struggle with keeping readable levels of PO4 and after a work trip I came home to my chalices looking pretty tight to their skeletons.  I had left out pre-measured doses of NeoPhos but they were defiantly on the conservative side and tank feedings were not consistent with my normal routine (I usually am at 3x a day).  PO4 tested out at 0.  Thanks in advance! 

In my experience pretty much all coral look a bit sad without proper nutrient levels. Some show it worse than others, like sps and fragile encrusters.

Just focus on getting them back up slowly and i'm sure they'll bounce right back

• Like 1
On 4/21/2023 at 9:08 AM, Jaren45 said:

In my experience pretty much all coral look a bit sad without proper nutrient levels. Some show it worse than others, like sps and fragile encrusters.

Just focus on getting them back up slowly and i'm sure they'll bounce right back

You nailed it - started to see one of my zoa colonies close up pretty good too and after bringing my PO4 back up they are slowly opening back up.  One chalice is looking great, the other is still sucked in pretty tight.   It still blows my mind how we used to think nutrients were the enemy but honestly, I've never had better PE and coloration since my understanding has widened regarding nutrients in the reef tank. 

SIDE NOTE:

I wanted to write about this experience and my own maturation process in our hobby.  With past builds, I would notice a coral looking off or in poor condition and act quickly without diagnosing the true issue at hand.  This would often lead to swinging parameters which in turn made matters worse.  

I want to stress the importance of maintaining water stability rather than maintaining the inhabitants.  Several occurrences during this build started with an issue, testing made that issue apparent, and after it was corrected PROPERLY things bounced back accordingly.  Taking the steps to stabilize such a dynamic environment has allowed me to really get a feel for this tank and what to look for when things are off.  By not jumping to conclusions and taking either drastic or unnecessary action I have certainly avoided any severe consequences.  

It's a slow and arduous process.  I have heard this thousands of times around this forum and I think that is the key.  When done properly, we are rewarded with micro-environment that emulates the nature we love so much. 

Thanks for reading 🥰 

• Like 2

I've been toying around with some cheap SPS as of late.  I was able to get my hands on a PC rainbow for 15 bucks, now seeing a little tip recession w algae    The montipora stellata that has been growing well for a few months almost looked like there was some algae on one of the fresh growth tips as well.  Ponape birds nest is stagnant, BUT NOT DEAD 🙂  Just ugly rn.   I'm wondering if this is a biproduct of whatever was happening when my chalices/zoas were stressed roughly a week and half ago.  I was blaming lack of nutrients but I really don't know.  I've been playing with the alk too and figuring out the best way to dose 2-part manually.  I'm holding at about 7.3 dkh currently.  I'd like it at 8 but if the tank wants to stabilize there I'll live.  Currently adding 1.5mL of each daily, trying to spread it out the day.  Tank is probably too young still for acros to thrive but Im trying my best..

Picked up a frag rack of etsy so I have a place to keep new frags other the sand...I totally get it now haha.  

Just curious, what are some of the fluent SPS keepers policy on light acclimation?  Level of importance? Issues? Thanks:) 

4 hours ago, ml86743 said:

Just curious, what are some of the fluent SPS keepers policy on light acclimation?  Level of importance? Issues? Thanks:) 

I definitely wouldn't call myself fluent, but around me all the lfs use super blued out, lower lighting. Most sps I buy end up browning out or even bleaching right away, and I think this is a big factor. I now start them out super low down no matter what.

My advice is to look at the lighting of the tank you're buying sps from it should tell you a lot.

3 hours ago, Jaren45 said:

I definitely wouldn't call myself fluent, but around me all the lfs use super blued out, lower lighting. Most sps I buy end up browning out or even bleaching right away, and I think this is a big factor. I now start them out super low down no matter what.

My advice is to look at the lighting of the tank you're buying sps from it should tell you a lot.

Good point - most of the places I go to do the same.  I could have overlit the PC for sure.  Wouldn't make sense for the Monti tho.  It's been acclimated to the tank for quite some time with no change, unless lack of nutrients cleared up the water too much.  Do you notice that acros/sps are generally slower to react that LPS or softies when there is an imbalance in the tank?  I think I've read that it can take weeks after something of significance happens before some pieces will show any signs of distress.     I just want some nice sticks for once..feeling pretty confident with softies/LPS.  

Hopefully I'll get some pics up sooner than later. 

• Like 1

alk/ca is dialed in.  Caved and scooped a DOS to take care of the daily dosing.  I have slowly morphed into an APEX fanboi..

However, the automation and monitoring has been wonderful. 

I was able to get a few frags of some cheap acros (suspected ORA pearlberry but it's not) and a flaming shortcake.  My initial goal for this tank was defiantly not to have much if any SPS but I'm really enjoying "tuning" the aquarium and seeing if I've got what it takes to grow some sticks out.  I probably won't add much else.  LPS/Softies are growing in nicely, I'll try and get some pics tonight.  

My only complaint is my flatworm problem.  Its those pesky red ones , but I haven't noticed them encroaching on any corals for their term in the tank but they've been THICK as of late.  I just siphon some out every once in awhile.  I've seen mixed reviews, some people just live with them, others take any action needed to remove them.  I have heard that H2O2 can work by stunning them and they will float into the overflow.  I may try this when I have a solid week at home.  

• Like 1

MAY FTS:

DOS is fired up, still playing with acros.  Not sure my tank is mature enough yet to really have them thrive but we'll see.

Alk is dead on, and I think I have the uptake dialed.  Starting to see consistent PO4 around .04-.06.  Actually seeing some coralline algae growth too!  Haven't had a lick of pest algae since I scraped down the back walls months of all the hair algae months ago.   

Last night I saw some larger amphipods harassing one of my zoa colonies - mixed reviews on them eating zoas.  Dunno, they didn't look good this morning so I guess they were nibbling away.  Some people say they do, some don't.  They looked damn good yesterday before lights out and I'm hoping they end up pulling through.   I'm wondering if there is a lack of grazing algae causing them to turn towards alterative food sources.  I used to see ulva and hair algae frequently but no longer does it pop up. Winston needs to get on these amphipods ASAP.  I have seen him eat a few good sized ones but there are plenty...

PICS: Forgive my glass, it's covered in spirorbid wormies 

52900224018_ddb4ece0f7_b.jpg

Here you can see the colony of zoas above/right the cyphastrea - Fully open and looking great.  This morning the three forward most ones were jacked up for sure. 

52899202702_930f676d65_b.jpg

• Like 4
  • ml86743 changed the title to ML's 14 IM Peninsula - MAY FTS & Pod Problems ;p
banasophia

Looks great! I had coral eating amphipods in my Biocube 16 in the beginning… they were part of the reason I got my biota captive bred mandarin, though he was wayyy too small to eat them when I got him. I’m surprised your sixline isn’t taking care of the flatworms and amphipods. 

By the way, my cyphastrea overgrew GSP on my back wall once it took off… not sure I mentioned that before, but I just noticed you have it on the main scape, so I wanted to mention it. That’s one of my favorites you have… I almost picked one up over the weekend but I’m not sure where to put it. 

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

can't help much about the pod.  

But you're already more than half way there with acros with steady alk.  The rest just have to let the tank does its magic.  

That's the plan, hoping the new additions pull thru. Monti's/anacropora are doing well though!  Hell, if the acros don't work out I might just buy up some different anacros and call it.  They have been extremely forgiving, waiting on the green to come back completely on mine but the PE is ridiculous, I feel like I mostly see them pretty tight to the skin but mine looks like happy monti polyps!  

13 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Looks great! I had coral eating amphipods in my Biocube 16 in the beginning… they were part of the reason I got my biota captive bred mandarin, though he was wayyy too small to eat them when I got him. I’m surprised your sixline isn’t taking care of the flatworms and amphipods. 

By the way, my cyphastrea overgrew GSP on my back wall once it took off… not sure I mentioned that before, but I just noticed you have it on the main scape, so I wanted to mention it. That’s one of my favorites you have… I almost picked one up over the weekend but I’m not sure where to put it. 

Thanks!  Yeah I'm hoping he'll start sniffing a few out..I've seen him eat some here and there but maybe I'll have to cutback on the feedings so he's extra hungie.  He also sleeps at night..when I see the pods doing the most damage (of course lol).  He's having fishy dreams in his lil mucus cocoon while my zoas are being destroyed. 

I think I've mentioned in previous posts that I'm trying to just maintain water stability and realistically there's not much I can do to really rid the system of some of these pests.  As far as the flatworms go, as much as I hate them I still haven't seen any problems with corals so that'll probably be a waxing/waning deal and making sure I've got carbon in there in case of mass die off. 

I DO think I could get away with one more fish and/or invert that may help as long as it's the right choice.  Some gobies came to mind - specifically the black barred goby.  I've heard coral-banded shrimp can help but I fear that they can become aggressive - I've already rolled the dice with my emerald (who has almost eradicated my hydroids, she has been great), but it's an option.  Any suggestions? The black-barred are not readily available...I've seen some court-jester's that could help but willing to try anything.   

So the cyphastrea is absolutely TAKING OFF right now its making it's way down the plug and to the rock, that rock in particular is isolated from the rest of the scape (knowing it can be "weedy"),  the initial plan was to have it take over that whole rock.  You're so right though, I think it's one of the coolest corals on the market.  That particular piece is the bizzaro and my only complaint is when I bought it the growth edges were a really cool neon green and it lost that almost immediately.  Hoping it will decide to flash those colors once again.   Still, can't complain, it's growing.

• Like 1

Snapped a quick phone pic at lunch, shoulda cut some of the blue but you'll get the idea.  You can see how the one is basically skirtless and one is completely closed.  Maybe they'll lay off it tonight..

52901070165_04857f6783_b.jpg

No change on the zoas.  However I did notice the WWC AOI’s had a hole in the base flesh.  Wondering if there’s something else at hand and the pods are just cleaning it up decaying flesh.

Zoas are so weird sometimes.  A diagnosis is difficult.  Params are pretty good, did notice my PO4 hit 0 again yesterday so maybe that’s got something to do with it.  

WHAT A MORNING.  I was feeding the fish, pumps off and then I was refilling the ATO…didn’t know the return tube for the top off was under water - back siphoned and soaked the floor and some of the electronics in the cabinet got wet.  Dried everything off I think we will be good but man what a start to today..

• Sad 1
  • Wow 1
  • ml86743 changed the title to ML's 14 IM Peninsula