Innovative Marine Aquariums

Yes indirect is best. It it still likes alot if it. Are you feeding it. Mine has been kind of disappointing growth wise with even with feedings.  I've had it a few years and at one point after a crash it receded to nearly nothing and crumbled now it's about 3 inches long.... and I still see bare areas at the bottom.

5 minutes ago, LazyFish said:

Are you feeding it.

I feed it with BRS Reef Chili every other day. After a few months I may try some other foods. I have noticed growth in the two months I've had it which is great!

I've been useing fauna marin "min f" and reef blizard "o" I used reef chilli for a while. The rusty IS growing since the crash after the freeze/power but its very very slow. Growth was very slow before the crash as well. It seems to be just fine for my other gorgs, slit pore grows like a weed,  yellow blade grows like a weed , delicate has steady growth, grubes steady growth, mystery hitchhikers growing well even the newest gorg the red nps has some growth. I'm realy not sure why it's been giving me  so much troubble.

1 hour ago, LazyFish said:

It seems to be just fine for my other gorgs, slit pore grows like a weed,  yellow blade grows like a weed , delicate has steady growth, grubes steady growth, mystery hitchhikers growing well even the newest gorg the red nps has some growth

Ahhh, sounds like a beautiful display. The vision I have for this tank is a Gorgonian heavy scape. I love the golden plumes and would like 1-2 more at least. A purple blade would be fantastic as well. I like Candelabra too.. You have NPS that are growing, that is a goal I have in the hobby. Do you have pics of your NPS?

Late night WC!

I thought about waiting until tomorrow to do a WC but was uncomfortable with the low alkalinity and had the energy to just get it done. I first added 8 grams of Na2CO3 to 32gal of freshly mixed SW. My target was to increase alkalinity to 8.5-9 dKH and the result was 9 dKH. I tested the display and it is 6.9 dKH.

Then, I did a 33% WC with the 9 dKH water. Using the Reef Tank Element Calculator app I calculated that I needed an additional 5 grams of Soda Ash to bump up alkalinity by 1 dKH; the safest in one day. My target alkalinity in the DT was 8 dKH, and I hit 10.1 dKH... I overshot by quite a bit. However it's possible the new SW hasn't fully mixed in because I took that test about 10-15min after the WC. In hindsight I'll do the WC first, THEN measure and dose alkalinity to adjust. I'm rusty.

I'll test again tomorrow and I will be more conservative with adjustments. After work on Monday I'll stop by the LFS and buy a calcium test kit. I have some ESV two-part that I'd like to dose to keep alkalinity up and stable. I'm guessing my Cal has been low because calcified algae has stopped new growth. I wasn't expecting to have to dose so soon, but then again this is my first rodeo with calcified macros. Once I get that test kit I will be comfortable dosing the ESV and hopefully see some new growth!

Edit: Checked Alk twice this morning and it's stable at 8.3 dKH. 15min after the WC it probably needed to mix still. Today I'll pick up that Cal test kit and will start dosing 2 part if Cal is low.

PXL_20211031_042403264.MP.jpg

Edited by stevie1493

Far left its bright red. I do t have many pics of it sry.  It's hard to catch it with all the polyps out but its worth it when it is. It opens and closes prety randomly for me unless theres food then I get good polyp extension theres usualy atleast a few out even with no food I guess its waiting around for the grub. The growth has been minimal over the past few months that I've had it but there is growth. There has been some on the base its more encrusted and sevral branches that were touching fused and theres 2 branch nubs that are new. I'm keeping my fingers crossed it dosnt start back sliding on me and go down hill. *Nock on wood* I like yellow blade better than golden plume or purple blade...never could keep purple blade for some odd reason and mine constantly seemed to be shedding. Yellow blade is another flat branched one but about the color of golden plume very good grower. Light lavender polyps. It sheds but much less often and quicker than my purple blades did. I've only had mine a few months and fraged it twice. Its infront the red one.

20211031_050316.jpg

20210828_180905.jpg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, LazyFish said:

Its the 20g nuvo peninsula. I also have the regular 20 and just started a 2.5g

I just have this 55g atm, along with the 20H QT. The long term plan is convert the QT to a Brackish Tank. Mangroves, crushed coral, chaeto, and turn it into a Figure 8 Puffer Species tank. Thinking about starting a Betta tank or a nano planted tank. I miss the FW side of the hobby.

Today marks the beginning of week 16. All of the corals in the tank are telling me they liked that bigger water change! With Alk back over 8.0 dKH, the blastos, Anthelia, zoas, Rhodactis and especially trumpets responded with some of the best polyp extension I've ever seen today.

I hear the pistol snapping as I write this. All livestock appears healthy. CB is still playing hard to get, she has picked at the macro but not taking a liking to anything. I can tell she's grazing on some food that settles on the bottom, but doesn't directly feed out of the water column yet. I've got some sea veggies and a clip coming in this week I'll try with her. Despite this she looks stocky and I've noticed she's displaying some more vivid coloration today compared to a week ago. 

I tested Cal and it was 400. I'm going to test again tomorrow, and figure out how much alk I lose in a day in order to calculate how much ESV I need to dose daily.

Happy Halloween 🎃

• Like 1

I do have a 15g column planted too but I was just talking about saltwater. I'm curently fighting algae in that one... honestly it has more algae issues than my reefs ever do. I had a 5.5g planted betta tank untill recently I greatly enjoyed it probly more than the 15g column. They have some very nice plakat bettas I've been seeing lately I have a big beautiful metalic silver one thats king of the 15g.

If I had the room I would love to start breeding mbuba again.

I've never actualy done brackish oddly enough but there are some fish I like mono sebae and mono Argentus are neat looking.

• Like 1

Alk was 8.1 today. Cal was 400 still. I lost 0.2 dKH overnight. I started the first ESV two-part dose tonight, 15ml of each solution.

I put sea veggies on a clip for CB but she didn't touch it. Hoping she'll go after it tomorrow throughout the day. I did a 50% WC on QT and gave her the second dose of Prazi. Put some MB7 in both tanks.

That poor Rhodactis came off the rock again..... Even though I glued him!! So he's mad again. I flipped him up and put him on a rock on the sandbed. Poor guy.

Everything else is looking good.

On 10/31/2021 at 9:07 PM, LazyFish said:

I had a 5.5g planted betta tank

How much did this cost you to get up and running, livestock and all, if you don't mind my asking? I am planning on setting up a similar tank.

Not much actualy it was a very simple set up. I used a 5.5 aquaeon from petco. Anout 15$ a full spectrum nicrew or aquaneat light about 20$ and an old aquion hob I had sitting around I dont even think they make it anymore and a glass top about 16$ the tank was filled with all difrent kinds of anubius spices I think I had 6 types they grew well most came fro petco. I also had some red root floaters. I actualy did not run a heater in this tank it was still prety stable but I liver where it's not usualy cold and the room it was in is allways warm anyway. I dosed sechem flourish maby once every 10 days or so. It ran nearly 2 years. There were 4 types of small snails 3 were hitch hikers and some nerites 2 amano shrimp and a plakat.

I had some dice drift wood and a mixed substrait of pebbles coarse sand that I had around and fluval stratum probly about 15$....I still have most of the bag that stuff. There was a few river stones I picked up in Arkansas and one with a nice gastropod fossil from hiking in tunica hills louisiana/Mississippi.

The background was a scrap I had sitting around it was sliding off in this pic..next time I'm just gona paint the tank.

20210531_124106.jpg

• Like 1

11/3/21 - sg 1.025, Alk 8.4 dKH, Cal ??? (User error on test kit and didn't want to retest). Alkalinity has gone up 0.1 dosing ESV for two days. The goal is to keep dosing the recommended amount for my water volume (15ml) for a week and then adjust as needed.

All fish in DT doing well. The only coral that is not a happy camper is the poor Rhodactis that can't catch a break, but he bouncing back slowly again from his fall onto the substrate.

I couldn't stand how filthy the QT looked and cleaned the filter tonight. I removed the whole HOB and dumped all the water and detritus out before putting in some filter floss (which I previously had not been running) and reassembling. During the process I removed probably 2 gallons which I replaced with fresh SW equating a 10% WC.

After the WC when attempting to prime the HOB I got zapped. So I unplugged everything and pulled out the Koralia Nano, since I have been zapped by them in the past I guessed it was the culprit. Plugged in my heater and ZING! The cobalt neotherm was the faulty one! Either way I tossed both the heater and the powerhead and plugged in a spare ehiem to heat the QT; it should be fine without the powerhead, however I might move over one of the three Sicce pumps from the DT tomorrow.

I used to think WC was the worst part if the hobby but now I think getting zapped by old equipment is. I'm paranoid about sticking my hands in the tank. Fortunately I have all new equipment this year in regards to pumps and heaters now, with the exception of my QT HOB pump and skimmer pump in DT.

I hope the CB is okay after putting up with that stray voltage and the distress of the WC... Maybe the stray voltage was contributing to her sporadic eating?

In any case I'm glad the filter is clean and hope the CB stays healthy.

So I noticed some pitting on the head of the CB.. there is no way I could get a good picture of it. It is as small as the tip of a pencil. I'm 98% sure it's HLLE caused by the stray voltage issue that is now solved. She otherwise appears unaffected. Throw away old heaters and don't reuse them - got it!

She is a very shy fish, which I understand is typical for Coral Beauties. She is so captivating when she decides to grace you with her swimming.

Today Alk was 8.6 and Cal was 425. Have continued to dose 2-part this week. I'm going to do my other water tests tonight because I'll be visiting family tomorrow. Cyano is really taking over the fuge. I plan on doing a chemi clean treatment this weekend and then doing a 20% WC in the next few days.

My son told me today "You made an awesome aquarium dad." while we were feeding the fish. I so enjoy seeing his interest in aquatic life at only 3 years old. Today everything was good.

• Like 1

11/07/21 - Week Seventeen

Today's tests: Alk 8.9 dKH; Cal 420ppm; NO3 7.2ppm; PO4 0.06ppm Everything in the reef looks good. The snails have gone to work on the back glass! 

I started a Chemi Clean treatment today and turned off the skimmer. I also removed carbon. After 48 hours I will do a large WC and turn the skimmer back on. Looking forward to seeing the results..the red cyano in the fuge is taking over the caulerpa and flame algae.

The pitting on the CB has completely healed! If she's healing quickly, beautifully colored, exhibiting natural behaviors, and eating, then she's ready to go into the DT. After the Chemi Clean treatment is over I may do that Wednesday or Thursday this week.

11/11/21

Yesterday I did a 25% WC to follow up the Chemi clean treatment. Directions state at least a 20% WC 48 hrs after. I did the WC 72 hrs after due to being busy this week. Most of the diatoms dusting the sandbed are gone. I also siphoned some of them off the sandbed during the WC. There is still some red cyano in the fuge, but it's pale, peeling back, and locking like it's dying. I'm reluctant to manually remove what's left because I don't want to put my hands in the tank because I have a few cuts and I don't want to disturb the fuge as it matures. Below is a picture.

Today I only tested Alk, salinity, and temp. DT was 9.1 dKH and 1.027 sg. WC water was 1.027 sg and under 5 dKH (I have some concerns about Brightwell salt...), so I bumped it up to 10dKH with soda ash. Temp is 78.8°F. I have noticed I have about a 3° swing from 77° to 80° as my heating comes on and off as winter comes closer. I may have to find a way to stabilize the ambient temperature this winter.

The skimmer went crazy but I dumped the collection cup out about a dozen times and it seems to be dialing back in. The only livestock that appears affected by the treatment is the blue star polyps which are 30% their normal size. All other corals are fully extended and colored up. The 🎃 Leptoseris is already encrusting out onto the rockwork.

The cleaner shrimp molted for the first time. He looks vibrant! All fish eating well. CB in QT has put away some sheets of sea veggies and is continuing to color up. I will move her to the DT this evening after 20 days in QT.

PXL_20211111_035436050.jpg

Today marks week eighteen. Just after Thanksgiving the tank will be five months old. I have decided to switch to weekly updates now that everything is settling in. The tank is fully stocked with fish, and now that the holidays approach my spare $$$ will be going to gifts. After the new year I may look at acquiring some new frags.

11/12/21 - Moved CB to DT; Sinularia closed; Moved whelk shell to DT; Rhodactis still recovering; lots of anthelia, Mandarin clove, Liam's clove, GSP, and Nirvana Zoa growth; 🎃 encrusting slowly; cyano appears to have all but disappeared

11/14/21 - Coral Beauty appears much less timid, she hasn't nipped at any corals, and she is eating sea veggies on a clip. She has claimed her shell as her home and gracefully swims around the whole tank. She is much less shy and greets me at the front glass; All other fish appear healthy; Sinularia still closed; 3 new Nirvana Zoa polyps; Gorgs appear unhappy (Golden Plume); I still need to test tonight since I was out of town yesterday. I will feed Reef chili tonight as well.

PXL_20211114_233540509.thumb.jpg.3e4de5d8ea79d98ac5ed72a6d2fb4597.jpg

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Week Nineteen

11/22/21 - NO3 7.7ppm; PO4 0.08ppm; Alk 8.8 dKH; Cal 410ppm; 1.024sg; red slime coming back; some caulerpa die off (I think I need to adjust my fuge photoperiod/intensity); pistol pulled Gorgonian over burrow so I moved the gorg to the rockwork; all fish appear healthy

11/23/21 - I noticed one white spot that may be ich on CB. Otherwise appears healthy.... No labored respiration. I will do a large WC tonight or tomorrow and monitor closely. All other fish appear healthy. Pretty much no chance of catching her at this point so I hope her immune system is healthy enough to bounce back if it is ich.

Week Twenty-one

12/06/21 - N03 14.5ppm; PO4 0.10ppm; Alk 7.6 dKH; Cal 385ppm; Halimeda Growing; all fish doing well; more cyano and diatoms; new Nirvana polyps

The last few weeks I'll admit I've neglected the tank a little. I had surgery and was down for about five days and I've just been busy with other hobbies and life activities. I have also been getting ready for the holidays. I plan on doing a 30% or so WC to get nitrates in check within the week. Cal and Alk needs to come up a little too. I have not been dosing for a week but started again yesterday. Parameters are really not too far off considering the low maintenance I've done in two weeks. I also happened to get what is now my favorite picture I've ever taken of one of my fish. Below is the CB, living up to her name. I have also attached a few coral picks including Candelabra, as well as a FTS.

PXL_20211208_005947974.MP~2.jpg

PXL_20211208_005937841.jpg

PXL_20211208_005917549.jpg

PXL_20211208_005609875.jpg

• Like 1

Great picture of the CB. Hope you have a full recovery from surgery. Don't overdo it give yourself time to heal. A couple friends of mine that are nurses always tell me to give myself a month of healing for every hour of surgery. That sounds like good advice to me. The tank looks great IMO. 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

First post of 2022! Today is my birthday and my gift to myself was doing aquarium maintenance! The tank is officially 6 months young this week. Over the holidays I'll admit I have been lax on my maintenance and testing, but overall I see new growth on most corals.

The first picture below shows new growth. The candy canes have gone from three to four heads and two of those four heads are currently splitting. The toadstool has quadrupled in size since it was acclimated 3 months ago. The xenia has doubled in size. The Rhodactis is currently splitting. The blue mushroom has doubled in size. The GSP has began encrusting the rock and has taken off in the last month.

The second picture shows the zoa garden. They haven't taken off yet, but there size is growing and their colors are quite vivid in person. 

The next picture is my favorite zoa's, the scrambled eggs, up close.

The toadstool might be my favorite coral in the tank.

And finally I took a moonlight FTS today.

01/03/21 - sg 1.025; Alk 7.8 dKH; Cal 400; NO4 39ppm: completed 25% WC. As expected, nutrients are high and Alk and Cal are low. My New Year's resolution is to dose daily and so far I haven't missed a day this year. The WC today should have brought NO3 under 30ppm and Alk over 8.0 dKH. I attribute high nutrients to overfeeding sea veggies (I have reduced my sea veggies feeding by 75% in contrast to December). The CB wasn't eating most of what was on the clip. I think cutting back on this will make a big difference. Finally....today I went to move the blue clove polyp frag because the anthelia was overgrowing it. Subsequently, I dropped the BCP frag down in the rockwork and couldn't find it 😞 Fortunately there are some BCP polyps on a few other frags.

01/04/21 - sg 1.025; Alk 8.1 dKH: beginnings of green cyano around candy canes and birdsnest; lots of cyano and GHA in fuge; GHA by Rhodactis and Discosoma; Diatoms on sandbed; completed 33% WC with 9.8 dKH, 1.027 SW...Post WC: Alk 8.5 dKH; NO3 19.5ppm; PO4 ???; sg 1.026; dosed Chemi-Clean; increased flow in tank 50%; I got a 0ppm reading twice for PO4 which I doubt is accurate and I assume is user error, I didn't feel like testing a third time. Params are now acceptable. I will continue to dose two-part daily and will perform a 25% WC again on Thursday 1/6 per Chemi-Clean instructions. If I do another 25% WC on Saturday after that I  should get NO3 down to around 10-12ppm.

The fuge is filthy, buy thriving with pods and caulerpa. I removed a good handful of caulerpa, specifically the pieces that had cyano growing on them.

Looking forward this month to adding more CUC. Some emerald crabs, a brittle star, a conch, and some more snails.

PXL_20220104_233043971.MP.jpg

PXL_20220104_233146820.MP.jpg

PXL_20220104_233542636.jpg

PXL_20220104_233801684.jpg

PXL_20220105_035836747.NIGHT.jpg

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...

The tank is now six months old.

Wow how fast January has flown by.

1/8/22 - sg 1.026; PO4 0.14ppm; Completed 25% WC; restarted skimmer (after Chemi Clean treatment)

1/17/22 - 1.026 sg; N03 22.1 ppm; PO4 0.13ppm; Alk 6.7 dKH; Cal 435ppm

1/17/23 was the last time I've tested. Well, except for sg which I test at least once a week. I'm always solid at 35ppt.

Alk was waaay to low. I have gotten way better since the 17th at daily dosing. I will test again in a day or two and anticipate Alk to be acceptable now.

GHA has taken a foothold. I attribute the introduction of sea veggies to the feeding schedule, infrequent WCs, a lack of flow, and the use of dry rock to be the main factors here. I can control the WC and will do two back to back 25%+ WCs this weekend. I also cut back on sea veggies by quite a bit. I've started timing my feedings for 1 minute and discarding all uneaten food. I had gotten lax with how much food I put in, especially flake.

For the last 4 weeks and for the foreseeable future I have been manually removing as much GHA as possible every 4-5 days. I am going to do a Phosphate RX treatment and add a substantial amount of CUC members within the next month.

Growth is steady except for a few of the Stony corals and zoas. My parameters just aren't stable enough yet. I haven't gotten into my rythym with this tank yet, but I will.

One of the biggest issues currently is that I haven't seen the YWG or pistol shrimp in 3-4 days at this point. I'm worried. I haven't seen an ammonia spike with daily monitoring so I'm hoping they pop their heads out during a feeding in the next day or two 🤞

PXL_20220127_015220324.MP.jpg

PXL_20220128_015910253.MP.jpg

PXL_20220128_020126091.jpg

PXL_20220117_234251872.MP.jpg

PXL_20220117_234300275.jpg

Congratulations on six months.

Sounds like a solid plan. You checked all the boxes. If your tank is going to have an algae outbreak GHA isn't the worst.

!. Manual removal,

2). a good amount of CUC

3). cut back on feeding

4). increase flow

and lastly if still needed 

9 hours ago, stevie1493 said:

I am going to do a Phosphate RX treatment

It won't clear up overnight, but you got this.