inTank Media Baskets

2022 contest?

CD_Scapes

Curious if there will be a contest for 2022, was planning on starting a pico but if there’s a contest I would hold off on starting one until the contest starts

• Like 1
1 hour ago, seabass said:

I submit a "5-Gallon Bucket Reef Challenge"

bucketreef3.jpg.a62d5285f077666a5e033e0439eb9fed.jpg

In theory this could be a cool challenge, everything (light, tabk, heater, filter, rock) must fit in a 5 gallon bucket for it to count 

• Like 3

I repeat my prior suggestion of a macroalgae-dominant build challenge. Few restrictions on equipment, just that it has to be, at least to the eye, mostly macroalgae. 

• Like 2

Hey, maybe that's the key to killing dinos! Try to grow them instead. 

...they're kinda cute. Horrible little pests, but them wiggling around like that is neat. Look at 'em go!

• Haha 1
16 hours ago, M. Tournesol said:

Fitting a tank in the 5 gallon bucket will no be an easy task 🤣

I feel like it would be pretty easy, narrow long tank or cubes. Never said it couldn’t stick out of the top 

16 hours ago, Tired said:

I repeat my prior suggestion of a macroalgae-dominant build challenge. Few restrictions on equipment, just that it has to be, at least to the eye, mostly macroalgae. 

I’m all for this one, maybe like 2 macro species per coral colony?

• Like 1

Yeah, I guess maybe some actual definitions of "macroalgae-dominant" would need to be had. I was just picturing something along the lines of "if a reasonable person looks at the tank, they'll agree it's mostly macroalgae". More of a visual thing than an exact definition. Would be nice to give tanks that just grow one type of macroalgae really nicely a chance at winning. 

2 minutes ago, Tired said:

Yeah, I guess maybe some actual definitions of "macroalgae-dominant" would need to be had. I was just picturing something along the lines of "if a reasonable person looks at the tank, they'll agree it's mostly macroalgae". More of a visual thing than an exact definition. Would be nice to give tanks that just grow one type of macroalgae really nicely a chance at winning. 

@Christopher Marks what do ya say? 2022 is the year of a Macroalgae contest?

• Like 2

Does hair algae count?

012316a.jpg

5 minutes ago, Tired said:

I guess maybe some actual definitions of "macroalgae-dominant" would need to be had.

Say about this much?

012316b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I mean, honestly? I would support that being considered macroalgae. It technically is, I think. And if you pulled off a nice-looking tank with a ton of hair algae and some un-smothered corals, that'd be impressive. 

• Like 1
NoOneLikesADryTang

All though macro algae tanks are cool, I think it’s too narrow to get good participation. With contests like these, you want requirements, but they need to be fairly broad to allow for as many people to participate as possible. 

Also, selfishly, I don’t think I could get the tank keeper on board with a macro algae tank, so we’d have to sit that contest out. 

• Like 7
The Rainy Day Aquarium
2 hours ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

as many people to participate as possible

Yeah I think this is important.

I don't remember what competition themes where in the past, but maybe a biotope/species theme? Idk, I really liked the idea of odd ball tanks (5 gallon bucket idea lol) too. Or maybe we can just have another year long freestyle-ish contest?

How about a Nano-Reef Marathon.  Contestants pitch in $20 a piece, and the last tank standing gets the cash.  It might be a decade long contest. :happydance:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Wow 1
2 hours ago, Chowder's Reef said:

Yeah I think this is important.

I don't remember what competition themes where in the past, but maybe a biotope/species theme? Idk, I really liked the idea of odd ball tanks (5 gallon bucket idea lol) too. Or maybe we can just have another year long freestyle-ish contest?

Building off this, maybe do a tank under 10 gallons and limit species count to like 5 types of corals? Like a tank of zoas, Duncans, hammers, montipora, and GSP would be 5 coral types

• Like 1
11 hours ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

All though macro algae tanks are cool, I think it’s too narrow to get good participation. With contests like these, you want requirements, but they need to be fairly broad to allow for as many people to participate as possible. 

Also, selfishly, I don’t think I could get the tank keeper on board with a macro algae tank, so we’d have to sit that contest out. 

Agree

It could be fun to do something participatory, where other community members vote on aspects of your tank, like you post two options and people vote and you do what they voted on. For example scape A or scape B. Acan or clove polyp. Orange ball sponge or red tree sponge. Etc. Seems like it could be fun because then the people voting might take extra interest in the tank.

• Like 4
NoOneLikesADryTang
7 minutes ago, banasophia said:

It could be fun to do something participatory, where other community members vote on aspects of your tank, like you post two options and people vote and you do what they voted on. For example scape A or scape B. Acan or clove polyp. Orange ball sponge or red tree sponge. Etc. Seems like it could be fun because then the people voting might take extra interest in the tank.

That would definitely be fun. I really like the participation aspect. It’d definitely encourage me to follow more build threads. 

I can see my own polls now:

Should I add a new fish I don’t tell the tank keeper about beforehand?

OR

Should I add a new coral I don’t tell the tank keeper about beforehand?

Should I have the tank keeper bring back 4 corals from her work trip out of town?

OR

Should I have the tank keeper bring back 6 corals from her work trip out of town?

Should the tank keeper rub my back tonight?

OR

Should the tank keeper rub my feet tonight?

Really, the possibilities are endless!

• Haha 6
10 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

That would definitely be fun. I really like the participation aspect. It’d definitely encourage me to follow more build threads. 

I can see my own polls now:

Should I add a new fish I don’t tell the tank keeper about beforehand?

OR

Should I add a new coral I don’t tell the tank keeper about beforehand?

Should I have the tank keeper bring back 4 corals from her work trip out of town?

OR

Should I have the tank keeper bring back 6 corals from her work trip out of town?

Should the tank keeper rub my back tonight?

OR

Should the tank keeper rub my feet tonight?

Haha yes! With options like that you would definitely be winning.

• Like 1
The Rainy Day Aquarium
9 hours ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Careful with those, the tank keeper might turn into the tank reaper if you're not careful 😂💀

• Like 1
  • Haha 3