Cultivated Reef

2022 contest?

CD_Scapes

The Rainy Day Aquarium
5 hours ago, seabass said:
Right now, I'm leaning more towards the forth option in my contest poll (any aquarium between 5 and 20 gallons).  Of course I'll have to discuss it with @Christopher Marks to see what he thinks.  But how about?

ncaaa.jpg.abaf9e0e6d471d09659c4547024be2e5.jpg

Nano-Reef Contest Almost Any Aquarium (NCAAA)

Using a REEF MADNESS bracket to decide one contest category prize.

reef_madness.jpg.7fba13de284a1a0c80107c5ce66bdf61.jpg

This is just an added game which invites other members to become involved (and maybe help motivate contestants).  The game wouldn't affect the overall contest or the prizes offered.

We'll define "aquarium" as a vessel with at least one clear side.  While this would rule out 5-gallon buckets, it wouldn't rule out a carboy, if someone really wanted to use one.

While this competition might be harder to compare, it opens up a ton of possibilities (AIO tanks, standard tanks, tanks with sumps, DIY tanks and mods, as well as unconventional vessels and containers).  Some of the REEF MADNESS match-ups might be like the BYU Cougars vs Gonzaga, but that could be fun too.  Can you say bracket buster?

I think a couple of people might have hit on the key to making such a diverse contest a success, more prize categories.  I'm thinking something like:

• Best overall
  • Best aquascape
  • Best budget build
  • Best use of self-imposed restrictions (like macroalgae, limited colors, limited species, no water, etc)
  • Best theme
  • Most innovative
  • Best DIY
  • Etc.

We have plenty of time to flesh out the categories and maybe even source (or make) the prizes.  Maybe even have a few ZONKs:

• Most algae or pests
  • Cheapest build
  • Worst luck...

I like this 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 8/23/2021 at 12:27 PM, filefishfinatic said:

we should do ultimate pico tank where everyone has to make the craziest pico possible with as much stuff inside. dry rock = automatic kick from contest

What’s wrong with someone choosing to use dry rock?

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, aclman88 said:

What’s wrong with someone choosing to use dry rock?

I mean… you put water in there and it’s not dry anymore… problem solved haha 😂🤣

But seriously, I love Caribsea Liferock (dry rock)… can’t imagine starting a tank with anything else. To each their own. Good thing there are so many ways to run a successful reef tank. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1