Cultivated Reef

2022 contest?

CD_Scapes

The viewing problem could be solved with a coral viewing portal.

51wt5W+5TML._AC_.jpg

You could make one out of PVC and use a UNISEAL bulkhead to incorporate it into the side.  This could potentially work with the 5 Gallon Bucket Challenge, or even the Carboy Contest.  I'll really try to shut up now.

Christopher Marks

Our competitions usually have the best participation when the barriers to entry are kept low (costs, equipment). I think some of the best we’ve done were old school tanks with simple equipment, and creative containers/cookie jars. If a higher investment is required, it’s important to allow for some flexibility in the rules for participants to build a tank that they’re likely to keep using after the completion ends. 

I will definitely endorse a competition, although I don’t think I am able to commit the time to run it this year. I can definitely help offer support and guidance though, some members have taken the reigns in the past.

Personally I am fond of pico tanks, and I really loved the simplicity of the pico cookie jars in the creative container competition most of all. A jar, an air bubbler, a pump, and an LED bulb. No doubt those simple jars had their limits, but it was a pretty level playing field. 

• Like 5
9 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

I will definitely endorse a competition, although I don’t think I am able to commit the time to run it this year.

Minus providing the prizes, I'd be willing to run the competition.  I know our sponsors have typically helped us out, but most of us participate for the fun.  I think even a Nano-Reef T-Shirt would be enough to entice most of us to join.

If sponsors do provide prizes (like a gift certificate), I'd like to see their logos (with links) featured.  I could certainly try to include them in contest specific posts made as a contest moderator.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
1 hour ago, Chowder's Reef said:

I mean, water changes would be a breeze?

Adobe_20210821_100157.png.5b96d417304d91bb8de87d6416ae707b.png

59 minutes ago, M. Tournesol said:

Hight tech carboy?

1645860347_Sanstitre.thumb.png.9c2d9ef03ffab8faae64a8ad1600bdc7.png

Haha… awesome! did you guys do these in photoshop? 

How about a tank with corals or fish you’ve never kept before? And maybe methods you haven’t used before? For newbies, they’d basically be able to do anything, but for experienced reefers it would be more of a challenge and it would encourage people to learn about/try new things. 

• Like 4
1 minute ago, M. Tournesol said:

In keynote (apple PowerPoint) with transparent image from google  😱.

Hmmm very nice, I need to figure out how to do that! 👍👏🤗

9 minutes ago, Chowder's Reef said:

Photoshop for me 😊

16 minutes ago, M. Tournesol said:

1756444882_Capturedcran2021-08-2119_34_29.thumb.png.72a1f69523bf6bbd2b71f56f445286ef.png

Even better than nunchucks skills

image.gif.b5e468eed452a445b3db9bc028743391.gif

I need to work on this… I’d never even seen that menu in google images, though I do use google image search all the time to search types of corals and whatnot 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
The Rainy Day Aquarium
1 hour ago, seabass said:

Nano-Reef T-Shirt

I would covet this prize 😂

Also on a side note I always thought that it would be fun to have a small contest-ish event for making a nano-reef t-shirt design. Maybe every few years or so people can put in their shirt design, vote on them and then they are sold out to members as kind of a fundraiser type thing? All this being aside from the actual NR tshirts. Idk like a neat little memorabilia thing. Or maybe this is a bad idea 😂

• Like 3
Kindanewtothis
1 minute ago, Chowder's Reef said:

Or a NR calander! Also probably a bad idea 😂

Depends if it's with photos of members or of their tanks  😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
17 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Depends if it's with photos of members or of their tanks  😉

Hank would love to donate a pic for the cause 😂🤣

#strikeaposehank

#myfishhasaninstagramhashtag

BB4B2DB3-9913-441F-B015-5DDB6F242349.thumb.jpeg.5d7b2f8dd45057eb110aff7ccc2389ee.jpeg

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, Chowder's Reef said:

Calenders of members are an extra $10 US 😉

Yes - Hot Reefers of Nano-Reef - would need to make it one of those daily desk calendars since so many of us are hot! 🔥😂🤣

• Haha 3
21 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Depends if it's with photos of members or of their tanks

Reminds me of SDT.  I'm sure only a few of you where around back then.

How about a March Madness NCAA style tournament where contestants are pitted head to head against each other?  The initial bracket will be determined randomly.  Each month Nano-Reef members will vote who wins the matchups and will continue on.

reef_madness.jpg.7fba13de284a1a0c80107c5ce66bdf61.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
1 minute ago, seabass said:

How about a March Madness NCAA style tournament where contestants are pitted head to head against each other?  The initial bracket will be determined randomly.  Each month Nano-Reef members will vote who wins the matchups and will continue on.

I can get behind this one

• Like 1
NoOneLikesADryTang
5 minutes ago, seabass said:

The competitor in me absolutely loves this idea - but I’m not sure if others would get on board. If someone gets knocked out on the second month, they may not follow along or keep their tank/journal going. 

With that being said, I can’t wait to win NanoReef’s Reefer Madness! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2