inTank Media Baskets

Indexing project discussion

Tritone

Should Mollies, Mono, Scats, guppies (Endler's mostly) and some Puffers also make it on the saltwater list with caution (Technically best practice with mono's and Scats, but they're pretty huge fish, the endlers are great for tiny systems)?

• Like 1

Yeah, I'll think about that.  I still have a few more to do like:

• Large Angelfish
  • Butterflyfish
  • Eels
  • Rabbitfish
  • Groupers
  • Grunts
  • Hogfish
  • Pipefish
  • Dogface Puffers
  • Seahorses
  • Squirrelfish
  • Triggerfish

I'm not sure that I'll do them all (but certainly the nano appropriate ones).  It's fairly time consuming and I'm not getting much feedback on if people feel this is a helpful project or not.  However, I've noticed that a few members are showing interest.  There wasn't a ton of excitement about the project before we started, but I feel it has developed into something useful.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, seabass said:

• Large Angelfish
  • Butterflyfish
  • Eels
  • Rabbitfish
  • Groupers
  • Grunts
  • Hogfish
  • Pipefish
  • Dogface Puffers
  • Seahorses
  • Squirrelfish
  • Triggerfish

I'm not sure that I'll do them all (but certainly the nano appropriate ones).  It's fairly time consuming and I'm not getting much feedback on if people feel this is a helpful project or not.  However, I've noticed that a few members are showing interest.  There wasn't a ton of excitement about the project before we started, but I feel it has developed into something useful.

It's an extremely helpful project, but -and this is a good thing- it can be difficult to find outside links into nanoreef, additionally it seems that most of NR's traffic lurks or only checks-in on occasion (for various reasons) which makes it really easy to miss new threads.

I know I personally still use the "guide to nano fish" from ages ago and reference it frequently, and I've seen it tossed out in other places as well. It would be nice to compile allot of the information from other various websites where folk's who have boatloads of experience with single species or animals tended to post write-ups back in the day (but I'd feel odd about lifting it without credit or permission).

• Like 2

I think this site is well mapped out compared to others where information is all over the place and members end up asking the same questions 5 times. 
If anything I’d simplify it even further merging some forums perhaps. 
Example:

General Discussion

Systems

Live stock (with three main indexes like the one it’s being created for fish, plus Corals and Inverts)

Market place

Sponsors

Add…. Reputable online stockists/vendors (split by area like US, EU, etc..)

Misc.

Just an idea.

• Like 3
Murphs_Reef
On 7/30/2021 at 12:45 AM, seabass said:

• Large Angelfish
  • Butterflyfish
  • Eels
  • Rabbitfish
  • Groupers
  • Grunts
  • Hogfish
  • Pipefish
  • Dogface Puffers
  • Seahorses
  • Squirrelfish
  • Triggerfish

It is helpful and appols for not assisting with this yet. It's been lockdown, lockdown OPEN for business and it's been a very busy month. I will get more involved when it settles down. 

I think this will be a great resource. 

• Thanks 1
Murphs_Reef

It got me thinking about the stages of a cycle onward into maturity. So many questions around what, why and when to expect to see the cycle end, algae blooms pass... And biodiversity improve. Im really considering putting a framework together for that topic(s) in the beginner forum.. I haven't seen one but will check on search before I put something together.. 

1 hour ago, Murphych said:

It got me thinking about the stages of a cycle onward into maturity. So many questions around what, why and when to expect to see the cycle end, algae blooms pass... And biodiversity improve. Im really considering putting a framework together for that topic(s) in the beginner forum.. I haven't seen one but will check on search before I put something together.. 

Good idea. I’m dealing with it through trial and error and with a vast amount of reading here, there and everywhere.

I’m currently dealing with Cyanobacteria. I’ve already learnt two things:

1) Feeding a new tank’s early inhabitants is difficult. There’s probably only one or two creatures and they end up over fed and tank’s protein level will rise in consequence creating algae. At this stage one is also dealing with lighting, how much is healthy how much is too much!
I have learnt to feed my Gramma what she needs and no more with a pipette. Bit by bit I gave her as much as she can eat. When she stops being voracious. Stop. Chances are any more will end up to the Hermits or Shrimp.

Also, all pumps OFF when feeding.

2) In the early stages without Corals, less is more. Lol. Keep light off when cycling and minimum when introducing first fish… which should always be the shy one of the future group.

Only keep Moon and dusk on later with a couple of hours only of daylight. 
The extra Natural light from your window will do the rest.

3) Someone on this forum mentioned using high flows towards bottom of tank to help with Cyano. He’s kind of been rubbished by many quoting the existence of this bacteria in ocean with its currents etc etc. 
Well, it is working in my tank. I’ve received the medicine today and I might use it to make sure, but it is retreating. 

My personal experience in my Biocube 32 so far. 

• Like 1