Innovative Marine Aquariums

Indexing project discussion

Tritone

In this section of the site I was hoping to find sticky files on the various type of fish. All containing their profile, members opinion, experiences. At least on the main ones. 
Moderators? Can we?

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Tritone said:

In this section of the site I was hoping to find sticky files on the various type of fish. All containing their profile, members opinion, experiences. At least on the main ones. 
Moderators? Can we?

is that tritone as in a diminished 5th?

Murphs_Reef
8 hours ago, Tritone said:

Moderators? Can we?

I like that idea.. 

I'm not a moderator; however, if you proposing that you start a new thread where you post profiles of different marine fish, then I say go for it.  If it turns out to be a valuable resource, then I'd expect that it would be stickied like lgreen's Ultimate Guide To Nano Fish.

Members could certainly add posts about their experiences.  However, you might get some conflicting opinions and short-term observations.

• Like 3

Make a main post that then links to all the other posts. Like put the fish in alphabetical order with links. Then that one could serve as a sticky to link to the others. 

You can later go back and edit and expand and so on. 

• Like 2
Christopher Marks
2 hours ago, Tritone said:

Any good so far. Are MODS happy for me to continue?

1 hour ago, seabass said:

I'm not a moderator; however, if you proposing that you start a new thread where you post profiles of different marine fish, then I say go for it.  If it turns out to be a valuable resource, then I'd expect that it would be stickied like lgreen's Ultimate Guide To Nano Fish.

Members could certainly add posts about their experiences.  However, you might get some conflicting opinions and short-term observations.

Definitely a good plan 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Tritone I think it may be a good idea to have members here 'donate' a good photo of a fish for your guide. This is so we are not using others photos without permission. You then credit them for the photo under the picture. "Photo donated by ___"

You also probably want to write the information in your own words (maybe you are, not sure) unless you cite sources.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

It’s just a template of how it could be.

All photos and texts come from Wikipedia at present, which I believe is open source and free of copyright.

Naturally I’ll delete, edit, quote or amend upon request. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Definitely a good plan 👍

Hi Christopher,

Would you put Topics in alphabetical order and sticky mode please.

Thanks. X

3 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Make a main post that then links to all the other posts. Like put the fish in alphabetical order with links. Then that one could serve as a sticky to link to the others. 

You can later go back and edit and expand and so on. 

This is a much better idea than pinning each topic.

3 hours ago, PeterU said:

This is a much better idea than pinning each topic.

Good, are you two volunteering? 

Problem is dude is just copying and pasting old outdated info from other sites and using other sites photos. Not needed and really pretty dumb.

• Like 2

Yea I can make a central sticky. It’s basically like how the saltwater fish disease index links back to everything.

I won’t lie, making a database in fish would be really cool but really time consuming. Probably need a few people to do it or have it as a community project that we can add to over time as someone writes a guide on a fish. Focus on quality of information and not quantity. If not all fish types are up there, that is okay. Eventually they may be added. I mean there is a lot!

Then comes the research into each fish type. I can do a few.

BTW I think it’s a cool idea and just trying to give feedback. 

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Pslreefer said:

Problem is dude is just copying and pasting old outdated info from other sites and using other sites photos. Not needed and really pretty dumb.

You’re welcome to do better then. Dude.

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Yea I can make a central sticky. It’s basically like how the saltwater fish disease index links back to everything.

I won’t lie, making a database in fish would be really cool but really time consuming. Probably need a few people to do it or have it as a community project that we can add to over time as someone writes a guide on a fish. Focus on quality of information and not quantity. If not all fish types are up there, that is okay. Eventually they may be added. I mean there is a lot!

Then comes the research into each fish type. I can do a few.

BTW I think it’s a cool idea and just trying to give feedback. 

Yes, definitely need more people to help.

Ok, I think these are a good starting point.

Does anyone want to donate a photo or would like to amend Wikipedia’s descriptions?

• Like 1

I'd be nice that if people find outdated info, to point it out and even provide updated information.  Then the original post could be modified.  This would be most helpful.

I kind of like this idea.  Especially if we take this from the nano reef keeping point of view.  Unfortunately I don't have a lot of time to spend on this project; but I see a potential value here, if done correctly.

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, seabass said:

I'd be nice that if people find outdated info, to point it out and even provide updated information.  Then the original post could be modified.  This would be most helpful.

I kind of like this idea.  Especially if we take this from the nano reef keeping point of view.  Unfortunately I don't have a lot of time to spend on this project; but I see a potential value here, if done correctly.

Indeed. 
Although there’s a huge array of marine fish, many are not suitable for small tanks, so although a mention is welcome it is not a priority to work on their files at this point since there’s loads to do on basics. 
If this goes well and many people volunteer a bit of time we could simplify the whole forum eventually. 

26 minutes ago, Tritone said:

By the way, what is the maximum size of a tank to be described as “nano”

It's pretty common to classify nano tanks as between 5 and 40 gallons.  Although this site also supports pico tanks (5 gallons or smaller); and a number of members keep tanks above 100 gallons.  So all information is helpful; but I believe it'd be most helpful to concentrate on fish that can be kept in less than 100 gallons of water (maybe starting with fish that can be kept in tanks less than 50 gallons of water).

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, seabass said:

It's pretty common to classify nano tanks as between 5 and 40 gallons.  Although this site also supports pico tanks (5 gallons or smaller); and a number of members keep tanks above 100 gallons.  So all information is helpful; but I believe it'd be most helpful to concentrate on fish that can be kept in less than 100 gallons of water (maybe starting with fish that can be kept in tanks less than 50 gallons of water).

Ok, let’s do up to 40 gallon fish for now. We can do the rest later with the help perhaps of those members who do have large tanks and are more experienced on those species.

PS, I’m going to add a bit stats to the files we’ve got. Min tank size, aggressiveness etc.

All, please let me know if you disagree with any info I add so that I can modify.

I'm thinking that we need species specific information.  For example, an Ocellaris clownfish can be be kept in a much smaller tank than a maroon clownfish and they can have significantly different temperaments.