SaltCritters.com

Indexing project discussion

Tritone

34 minutes ago, seabass said:

I'm thinking that we need species specific information.  For example, an Ocellaris clownfish can be be kept in a much smaller tank than a maroon clownfish and they can have significantly different temperaments.

Wouldn’t that make the list several pages long? I’ve edited the Clownfish stats bearing in mind your observation. Have a look.

2 hours ago, Tritone said:

Wouldn’t that make the list several pages long? I’ve edited the Clownfish stats bearing in mind your observation. Have a look.

I made a suggestion for a format change in the Clownfish thread.

• Like 1

I'm also going to propose that we rename the Angelfish thread to Dwarf Angelfish (which includes nano reef fish); then we can add a Large Angelfish thread later on.  I've also revised the Angelfish thread to include several popular species.

19 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Here is a start:

We've renamed the Angelfish thread to Dwarf Angelfish.  But for your index, I think we should call it Angelfish - Dwarf.  Thanks.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, seabass said:

I'm also going to propose that we rename the Angelfish thread to Dwarf Angelfish (which includes nano reef fish); then we can add a Large Angelfish thread later on.  I've also revised the Angelfish thread to include several popular species.

Thank you, amended Dwarf Angelfish thread is up.

• Like 2

i hope on certain of these fish you put big red letters saying "WARNING - NOT FOR TANKS UNDER X GALLON," because i'd be willing to wager certain species will get lots more traffic (dragonets, for example) than the rest.

• Like 1

@seabass How are you deciding on tank size recommendation? This is the one area I am like ehh because people have so many different opinions. Wasn't sure if you were pulling from a source or just playing it safe or?

1 minute ago, Tamberav said:

@seabass How are you deciding on tank size recommendation? This is the one area I am like ehh because people have so many different opinions. Wasn't sure if you were pulling from a source or just playing it safe or?

Mostly going from Live Aquaria.  Although I feel that some are off, so I deferred to Blue Zoo Aquatics, or even lgreen's Guide.  TBH, on a couple, I made my own recommendations.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Murphych said:

Assume when all initial content is gathered, threads will be cleaned up of comments and edits? 

Yes. Although it needs to be reiterated that Rome wasn’t built in one day or by three people. Please everyone remember that this site is what you make it. If we all chip in 5 minutes a day in a suitable capacity to each of us, we can make it a wonderful place to learn, exchange and have a jolly good time interacting on the hobby that drew us here in the first place.

3 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Tank sizes will be, like any other opinion in life, based on the average recommendation based on what most credible source recommends.

if people can successfully keep a shark in a 20 gallon tank. Excellent for them, but not what is advised in this forums guidelines. Right? X

2 hours ago, seabass said:

The Index, as well as the fish threads should contain the same tags.  What do you all think?

fish index :unsure:

Definitely.

Gobies are sorted.

• Like 1

Wrasses are done. I think I got all the more common wrasses listed that are kept in smaller-ish tanks. Let me know if I missed something. "evolved" also gave me permission to link to his website which has an amazing amount of info. 

1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

@seabass how do I size the photo to yours? Is there a specific way? 

If you double click on it in edit mode, you should be able to size it down to 480 pixels wide.

• Like 1
Murphs_Reef
6 hours ago, Tritone said:

Yes. Although it needs to be reiterated that Rome wasn’t built in one day or by three people. Please everyone remember that this site is what you make it. If we all chip in 5 minutes a day in a suitable capacity to each of us, we can make it a wonderful place to learn, exchange and have a jolly good time interacting on the hobby that drew us here in the first place.

Hold on... I was asking ba question about formatting. That's one element that regardless of how good the information is, if it looks shit it won't get used half as much as if it's been edited and formatted well..

I wasnt being aggressive! Let's not get on our high horses off the bat....!!

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Murphych said:

Hold on... I was asking a question about formatting. That's one element that regardless of how good the information is, if it looks shit it won't get used half as much as if it's been edited and formatted well..

Totally agree.

I assume that Tritone was trying to convey that it might take some time.  Actually, it will probably take some of Christopher's powers to make that happen.  If all goes well, maybe he'll clean up the threads for us and even sticky the index post.

• Like 2

Yah I figured Chris could fix it. Although I don’t mind allowing comments so people share experiences but idk how others feel. 

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Although I don’t mind allowing comments so people share experiences but idk how others feel. 

I was actually going to suggest that we encourage comments about the different species, and even include photos.  Maybe a sentence in the first post of each thread (at the bottom).  Something like:

Members are encouraged to provide additional species specific information, including first hand experience and photos.