Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Indexing project discussion

Tritone

I will try and tackle Tangs next. Not a nano fish but probably all the more reason to get them listed with tank sizes considering how popular they are. 

• Like 3
M. Tournesol

Could it be possible to add a section for paring/reproduction in each fish description? It is an information that is sometimes not easy to find.

It could contain the minimal tank size for a pair and added information like which fishes that are hermaphrodites (clownfish, glown goby, yellow watchman goby,.. ), how to differentiate male/female, is pairing easy and other ...

• Like 2
1 hour ago, M. Tournesol said:

Could it be possible to add a section for paring/reproduction in each fish description? It is an information that is sometimes not easy to find.

It could contain the minimal tank size for a pair and added information like which fishes that are hermaphrodites (clownfish, glown goby, yellow watchman goby,.. ), how to differentiate male to female, is pairing easy and other ...

Not a bad suggestion.  I included that in the clownfish thread, which seemed particularly relevant and pertained to all of the species of clowns.  Although, I think I'm going to rework that write-up.  I'd really like to make the general write-ups more informative.  Species specific information is usually easier to come by as you look up each individual fish online; but I did include some basic species specific notes regarding shrimp gobies and sand sifting gobies.  However, I'm sure that more species specific notes could be added.

I'm not totally sure if every species of goby is a hermaphrodite.  I'll see if I can find that out for you.  It's certainly something we can put in the write-up even if it's only "many species of gobies are hermaphrodites".  But I'll see what I can find out.

Obviously there is a limit on what can be added while keeping the project manageable and the information compact.  However, I'm in agreement that we can flesh these write-ups out more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
4 hours ago, seabass said:

I was actually going to suggest that we encourage comments about the different species, and even include photos.  Maybe a sentence in the first post of each thread (at the bottom).  Something like:

Members are encouraged to provide additional species specific information, including first hand experience and photos.

Being a community effort, I encourage members to research and include interesting info about the genus or individual species in the comments.  Ideally, subsequent posts from members would mostly include additional information.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Murphych said:

Hold on... I was asking ba question about formatting. That's one element that regardless of how good the information is, if it looks shit it won't get used half as much as if it's been edited and formatted well..

I wasnt being aggressive! Let's not get on our high horses off the bat....!!

My apologies, I didn’t mean to sound aggressive. But rereading my own post I can see that’s just how it comes across.

Sorry!

• Like 2

@Tritone, FYI, I had to edit and amend my content in the Goby and Dwarf Angelfish threads.  Turns out that the easiest way to do this was to start a new thread.  CM has graciously volunteered to cleanup the redundant threads.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, seabass said:

@Tritone, FYI, I had to edit and amend my content in the Goby and Dwarf Angelfish threads.  Turns out that the easiest way to do this was to start a new thread.  CM has graciously volunteered to cleanup the redundant threads.

No problem, whatever come easiest. And thank you for all you’re doing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 7/15/2021 at 9:40 AM, seabass said:

I also edited the Clownfish thread.  @Tamberav, we'll need to change the link for this as well.

FYI - I started adding a Photo Link line in the Chromis thread.  Also, some threads contain Species Notes (for unique characteristics of that specific species).

• Like 2
16 hours ago, seabass said:

FYI - I started adding a Photo Link line in the Chromis thread.  Also, some threads contain Species Notes (for unique characteristics of that specific species).

I've switched out the photo link for a small thumbnail photo link, like:

Centropyge_acanthops_R%C3%A9union.JPG

I also added a Wiki photo credit:

Photos by image.png.764b7df6a2818ad7ca0b4ddd2d888742.png

I have to say, these threads are starting to have a decent look to them.

• Like 3