Top Shelf Aquatics

11 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

So if I rince it in tap water, no need for "live" sand?

Yeah, there isn't much advantage in using bagged live sand.  You can accomplish the same thing by dosing bottled nitrifying bacteria.

• Thanks 1
Kindanewtothis

Also can I put my rocks (and corals) in new water? I'm going from 50g of water to something like 150g. So I would prepare water and slowly fill the new tank with new water. Then I would add the rocks and corals in this new water (heated and with water movement). Then I would add the water from the 50g. Does this make any sens?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Also can I put my rocks (and corals) in new water? I'm going from 50g of water to something like 150g. So I would prepare water and slowly fill the new tank with new water. Then I would add the rocks and corals in this new water (heated and with water movement). Then I would add the water from the 50g. Does this make any sens?

If it were me, I would use as much of the old water as possible.  I would also just make sure temp and salinity are matched and alk is close, and you should be fine.  

Agree on just using new sand and rinsing really well.

26 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

So I would prepare water and slowly fill the new tank with new water.

That's fine.  I imagine that you'll only be able to save 20 to 30 gallons from your old tank.

I've also heard of people doing water changes as they are filling the new tank.  The old water goes in the new tank, and the new water goes in the old tank.  That starts slowly changing the parameters of both to help meet in the middle.  You could even dose the new tank with some nutrients to help match the water where they are coming from.

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis
8 minutes ago, seabass said:

That's fine.  I imagine that you'll only be able to save 20 to 30 gallons from your old tank.

I've also heard of people doing water changes as they are filling the new tank.  The old water goes in the new tank, and the new water goes in the old tank.  That starts slowly changing the parameters of both to help meet in the middle.  You could even dose the new tank with some nutrients to help match the water where they are coming from.

Sounds like a good plan.

My nutrients are in the .20s so they with all this they will go down a lot which is good no? Would you still dose No3 and Po4? (I have the products)

In the new tank, I probably wouldn't dose phosphate to more than 0.10 ppm, and nitrate above 10 ppm.  Over time, you might let these numbers slowly drop to 0.05 ppm phosphate, and 5 ppm nitrate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Kindanewtothis
22 minutes ago, seabass said:

In the new tank, I probably wouldn't dose phosphate to more than 0.10 ppm, and nitrate above 10 ppm.  Over time, you might let these numbers slowly drop to 0.05 ppm phosphate, and 5 ppm nitrate.

What about MicroBacter7 in the new tank?

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

What about MicroBacter7 in the new tank?

It wouldn't hurt.  It would also help seed the new sand and possibly help with any increase in ammonia production caused by the transfer.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
Kindanewtothis

Anyone has experience with schools of green chromis?

I've been warned and read some about it on furums and 5 seems to become 4, then 3... etc

Anyone?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

I've been warned and read some about it on furums and 5 seems to become 4, then 3... etc

Unfortunately, that's what tends to happen.  The aggression doesn't look all that bad, but it seems to be enough to stress out the fish being picked on.  Then as the numbers dwindle, there are even less of them to spread out the aggression, and so on.  I'm not sure if this is primarily with smaller tanks.  IDK, maybe you'll have better luck in your 120 gallon.  They sure do make for a nice display.

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis
5 minutes ago, seabass said:

They sure do make for a nice display.

Also thinking about a black and white butterflyfish. I'd like something big but angels are not an option.

30 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Also thinking about a black and white butterflyfish. I'd like something big but angels are not an option.

Hope I have this right, Heniochus diphreutes is often considered reef safe, while Heniochus acuminatus is not.  They are often mistaken for each other.

There are some big rabbitfish.  You could also get a Lamarck's Angelfish or Spotbreast Angelfish.

• Like 1

Is is still underwater?  It's hard to tell from the pic.  Wow, you're not wasting any time.

17 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

It's not going to be easy to detach it from the bottom glass.

Use a plastic scraper.  If you don't have one, you could probably use a credit card.  You need to take your time and not damage its foot.  Just gently push up against it with the scraper (holding the scraper firmly against the glass).  Move around to the other sides doing the same thing.  It will start releasing as you push up against it.  Don't rush, it will take several minutes.  Eventually it will let go.

Kindanewtothis
1 hour ago, seabass said:

Is is still underwater?  It's hard to tell from the pic.  Wow, you're not wasting any time.

Yes it's still underwater, I going to get the tank only tonight. The picture is from under the tank. It will take days before the 120g is ready for the transfer. I plan to use the water change method (plus new water also).

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Kindanewtothis said:

The picture is from under the tank.

Ah... I wasn't expecting that view.  Makes sense now.  Good luck!

1 hour ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Should I wear gloves to move the anemone?

I usually wear nitrile glove when doing this.  Then you won't be as apt to react if it sticks on you.

• Agree 1
Kindanewtothis

It's finally in the basement. Now I have to become a plomber.

I had to cut the middle 2x6 to fit the sump but I feel it wasn't necessary (the 2x6). Does a tank need middle support?

20220824_232700.jpg

Awesome job.  Those tanks are no joke.

The stand is a little shorter than I imagined.  It might be tight putting just any skimmer in there, and being able to service it and empty the skimmer cup.  Keep that in mind when picking out a skimmer.

• Thanks 1
Kindanewtothis
5 minutes ago, seabass said:

The stand is a little shorter than I imagined.  It might be tight putting just any skimmer in there, and being able to service it and empty the skimmer cup.  Keep that in mind when picking out a skimmer.

It was so heavy.

I think i have about 5-6 above the sump through the door.

Kindanewtothis
10 minutes ago, seabass said:

The pump is huge

20220824_235822.jpg

20220825_000007.jpg

• Wow 1

Wow, at least it fits.  The return chamber is small, so evaporation will bring that level down quickly.  I'm guessing that it would risk running dry after about a day.  Good thing you got an ATO unit.

• Kindanewtothis changed the title to Kinda's Large Tank Adventure (LTA)