ReefCleaners.org

48 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

What kind of power do I need for the return pump?  Is this too much?

https://aquariumdepot.ca/products/current-usa-loop-eflux-dc-flow-pump-3170

I might choose a Sicce Syncra 4.0:  https://aquariumdepot.ca/products/sicce-syncra-4-0-pump-951-gph?_pos=11&_sid=3614ddb4b&_ss=r

It might not be silent, but I don't think this isn't going in your bedroom either.

Kindanewtothis
2 hours ago, seabass said:

I might choose a Sicce Syncra 4.0:  https://aquariumdepot.ca/products/sicce-syncra-4-0-pump-951-gph?_pos=11&_sid=3614ddb4b&_ss=r

It might not be silent, but I don't think this isn't going in your bedroom either.

Any reason not to take the one I linked? I ask because I could buy it with the tank for less than the sicce (but used).

Kindanewtothis

@seabass since you are there waiting for me to ask questions 😃

where to you put the heater? In the skimmer slot?? Powerful heater are usually long and I want a refugium in all this.

You can put the heater anywhere that it will stay submerged.  You can plan you sump around your equipment, like your heater.  Also, you can run two shorter heaters instead of just one longer one.

If you are looking for short but powerful heaters, you might consider a Finnex titanium heater.  You'll need a temperature controller (some come with one).

TH-300S 300 Watts, 40-80 Gallons, 10" Length
TH-500S 500 Watts, 70-130 Gallons, 14" Length
TH-800S 800 Watts, 140-265 Gallons, 16.5" Length
Included Titanium Elements, Heater Guard, Suction Cups
  • Like 1
Kindanewtothis
4 minutes ago, seabass said:

You can put the heater anywhere that it will stay submerged.  You can plan you sump around your equipment, like your heater.  Also, you can run two shorter heaters instead of just one longer one.

If you are looking for short but powerful heaters, you might consider a Finnex titanium heater.  You'll need a temperature controller (some come with one).

TH-300S 300 Watts, 40-80 Gallons, 10" Length
TH-500S 500 Watts, 70-130 Gallons, 14" Length
TH-800S 800 Watts, 140-265 Gallons, 16.5" Length
Included Titanium Elements, Heater Guard, Suction Cups

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1130074044217123/

This one is 18" wide. I would need to split the middle section in two (one for skimmer and one for the fuge)

IDK, maybe, but you might need a bigger sump.

bigger_boat20140422163043.jpg

Keep in mind that each inch of your display will hold about 5 gallons of water.  So figure at least 10 gallons will flow back into the sump, plus the water in your plumbing, plus any water in your skimmer that's above the water line.  It might be close depending how full the sump will be.  Do you know which skimmer you want to use, and what it recommends for a water level?

• Haha 1
Kindanewtothis

I gonna have the tank on wednesday.

I have to move the 50g to a temporary location because the 120g is going to take its spot.

The plan is the remove a lot of water from the 50g into buckets and a rubbermade container and to slowly move the tank (about 8 feet) with the rocks and livestock still in it.

• Wow 1
Kindanewtothis
4 minutes ago, seabass said:

Does it already have baffles, or will you be installing your own?

It have baffles but I think I might modify it a little for the refugium and filter socks holders.

Screenshot_20220821-101622_Facebook.jpg

25 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

It has baffles but I think I might modify it a little for the refugium and filter socks holders.

Unless there is something that absolutely has to be modified (like your return pump doesn't fit), I'd leave it be and work with what you have.  Then buy heaters and a skimmer that works within this sump.

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis
48 minutes ago, seabass said:

Unless there is something that absolutely has to be modified (like your return pump doesn't fit), I'd leave it be and work with what you have.  Then buy heaters and a skimmer that works within this sump.

No modifications to do at all!!! (Except adding a filter socks holder)

It's perfect!

Silicone seams ok, will test.

Even a 18" heater will fit in the middle part.

The way the sump is designed, the water level should not be too high so there is space.

Enough space for a skimmer and a refugium.

The guy showed me his set-up and gave me a lot of explanations. 

20220821_112749.jpg

20220821_112805.jpg

Kindanewtothis

Still going to try to use them. 4 inch is the way to go (4x12). 7 inch are too long for my sump. Ordered filter socks holder too.

The AI lens are in the mail too.

Regarding the diatoms, they were out of silica blaster DI but I've bought a silica test kit (salifer).

With all that I qualified for free shipping ! 😅

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis

Last post today I promise 🤞

50g successfully moved. After removing 20g of water from it (all corals were still under water) I was able to slide the tank slowly 5 feet to the right to a temporary location.

The place is ready to receive the 120g.

If everything works well I will even use the existing plumbing, by just cuting what is too long.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
Kindanewtothis
On 5/15/2021 at 4:36 PM, Tired said:

1: make sure your new rocks are ready to be put in the tank, i.e. are cycled and have no potential for die-off. 

2: take rocks and livestock out of old tank, and put them in buckets. 

3: transfer most of the water from the old tank into the new tank. Try to avoid sucking up too much gunk. Leave a layer of water in the old tank, so the gunk stays in the old tank.

4: remove remaining gunky water from old tank and throw it away. Try to get as much gunk as you can out of the tank, so it's not in the sand.

5: place new and old rocks in new tank. 

6: place sand in new tank. 

7: fill up the new tank the rest of the way with new water. 

8: once all rocks are in their final places, put livestock in new tank. 

9: monitor for ammonia spikes for the next week or so. 

If the tank was older than two weeks, I'd say to thoroughly rinse the sand, or get new sand. But you haven't had much time to build up gunk in the sand in two weeks. 

I'm told not to transfer the sand, any comments?

In general, I'll take a couple of cups of sand off of the top of the old substrate (before you disturb the bed).  Then I transfer this over the top of the new or thoroughly washed sand in the new tank.

You can reuse the old sand; however, you MUST was it thoroughly.  Wash it in stages by:

• place some of the sand in a 5 gallon bucket
  • use a garden hose with a jet spray nozzle to rinse the sand in the bucket
  • stir up the sand with your hand
  • pour out the cloudy water
  • repeat until the water rinses almost clear, then continue washing more sand

This can take awhile and is a bit of work.  If you don't have time to do this during the transfer, you can do this after everything else is transferred (even at a latter date).

Some people just skip washing the old sand and go with new sand.  However, I recommend rinsing new sand too.  It will help reduce the clouding that can last for days.

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis
6 minutes ago, seabass said:

In general, I'll take a couple of cups of sand off of the top of the old substrate (before you disturb the bed).  Then I transfer this over the top of the new or thoroughly washed sand in the new tank.

You can reuse the old sand; however, you MUST was it thoroughly.  Wash it in stages by:

• place some of the sand in a 5 gallon bucket
  • use a garden hose with a jet spray nozzle to rinse the sand in the bucket
  • stir up the sand with your hand
  • pour out the cloudy water
  • repeat until the water rinses almost clear, then continue washing more sand

This can take awhile and is a bit of work.  If you don't have time to do this during the transfer, you can do this after everything else is transferred (even at a latter date).

Some people just skip washing the old sand and go with new sand.  However, I recommend rinsing new sand too.  It will help reduce the clouding that can last for days.

At this point, I think I'm gonna go with all new sand. So I suppose I must search (not with my hands) the old sand to find my snails!

Last time (going from 30g to 50g) I just transfered the sand without any washing (that wasn't in the list).

Kindanewtothis
15 minutes ago, seabass said:

So if I rince it in tap water, no need for "live" sand?

• Kindanewtothis changed the title to Kinda's Large Tank Adventure (LTA)