Innovative Marine Aquariums

Ahhh Reefing!!! - For Everyone Newbs & OG

I'm Batman

Not sure if this is permitted but I’m having one of those %#$& moments and figured everybody could use an outlet to work through some of their %#$& moments in reefing as well. 

I visited 5 fish stores today - mind you I’m in SW Ohio and all the corals are garbage locally -  and surprisingly at more than one store heard “you won’t be able to grow corals in a tank that small.” Meanwhile I have corals that are amazing and their corals are trash. Literally trash. No amount of quarantine will help getting those frags anywhere near my tanks... yes tanks...

I’m a project guy. I have a degree for Honda, I work on my own cars, I built a bedroom out of our loft, I’ve built 4 of my neighbors privacy fences, I become driveway certified in many trades thanks to the help of the internet. 

That’s where a big thanks go to many reefers I can’t even remember all of them - @Clown79 @seabass @Reefkid88 @farkwar @ReefGoat @mcarroll @teenyreef @The Rainy Day Aquarium @PicoSavvy there’s too many to list. Huge thanks and maybe this ties into Thanksgiving but wanted to make sure everybody knows this is a fantastic community and am thankful for all the feedback!!!

My biggest Ahhhh %#$& moment has been the seasonal Dino’s and adding rock. Literally nightmares hand in hand. Ostreopsis, Chrysophytes mehhh... 

If you have uglies - post ‘em - and tag those who’ve helped. Thanks so much again everybody...

$69 for a xenia... PSH66B0967A-BFFE-4A4A-BF28-F7A5AE3B734A.thumb.jpeg.956c7efee7b651a6aef8e427060dbceb.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, ReefGoat said:

Don't break the tank down like I did

See that’s what we can all avoid!!!! I bet if you use the same tank even after years dry, Dino’s still come back lol!!!

I would be scared bacteria would stay in the silicone and hibernate,but that is just me lol. 

20201125_222123.jpg

20201125_222221.jpg

20201125_222227.jpg

Here is my ugly lol infested with GHA and flat worms 😔

20201125_222709.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Flatworms... I remember when I had thousands of them. Then did the hard 1/4” syphon, flatworm exit and canister filter lol!!! Didn’t take long and they were back!!!

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, I'm Batman said:

Flatworms... I remember when I had thousands of them. Then did the hard 1/4” syphon, flatworm exit and canister filter lol!!! Didn’t take long and they were back!!!

They suck that is for sure. Thankfully they don't make anything too mad. Just a sight for sore eyes. 

• Haha 1

Dinos:

061516a.jpg

Algae:

012316a.jpg

Flatworms:

051211b.jpg

Ahhh Reefing!!!  You name it, I've probably had it.

Thanks to all who have helped me over the years (especially when I was just starting out).  The actual list would be long (and sadly, many are no longer active), so I'll just thank @Christopher Marks for this awesome community.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Seabass- that algae picture, I have been there!! 🥵 That was one of the times I almost quit.  My tank seriously looked like that.  It was so discouraging and over whelming, sometimes you don't know where to begin, but- I came here (as always) and people do talk you through it.  This place had saved my tanks more then once.  THANKS TO ALL THOSE THAT HELP!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A lot of us at some point or another have had issues. 

You can do everything right and things go wrong.

I have dino's in both my tanks right now.  not sure why this time and this time certain corals are not faring well.

On top of that

25g has gha on sand and cyano too- first time ever. Full out mats of gha. 

Lost my jf lemon favia and my treasured plate is pretty much gone.

20g has some weird algae on sand and a bit of gha.

Lost 2 heads of hammers, my trumpet, and torch is not doing well. Odd part- no dino's on any of these.

I thank all those who have helped me along the way- too many to list.

But thank you to the community and C Marks.

• Wow 1