inTank Media Baskets

Skimmer recommendations for Waterbox Cube 20

Reefscape

Hi all,

this has probably been asked a hundred times, but here comes number 101 😉

Simple question: what skimmer to use on a waterbox cube 20? 

Available options in europe (Belgium) aren't huge, popular ones are:

OPTION 1: Comline DOC Skimmer 9001 (DC) (https://www.tunze.com/en/details/9001.000-comlineR-doc-skimmer-9001.html)

(will have to modify this one for it to fit, because the magnet won't fit between the baffles of the back chambers, so we'll have to mount the magnet sideways)

https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/368761-tunze-9001-im-nuvo-fusion-20/

Voorbeeld van afbeeldingVoorbeeld van afbeeldingVoorbeeld van afbeelding

OPTION 2:  Hydor slim skim 135 (https://www.hydor.com/en/slim-skim/)

Tight fit, but might work. Have no idea how this compares to the Tunze model...

Other than that I don't see a lot of options, maybe the Bubble magus QQ might fit, or the QQ2...

But is this a really solid choice?

I anyone knows whats best, please let me know!

Thanks!!

I have a LifeReef Skimmer and it is the best Skimmer I’ve ever had. It’s got a Gate Valve, for the super easy adjustment. Once set, it rarely needs to be touched. It was in operation for over seven months before I even pulled the entire skimmer to clean it. I did this as I was going out of town for a week. About every two weeks I pull the Cup and wipe the Throat with a Paper Towel. You can use anybody’s pump with it, and since Europe Voltages are different than US Voltages, you would need to delete the pump. Also one thing that is unique about it is it pulls its air from the Skimmer cup, so there is Zero Smell. Also if the Cup was going to “ Boil Over,” the Foam and Water will stop the Skimming Action, before it dumps the Hard Waste into the Tank. BTW You can use a Auxiliary Collection Bottle. It has a Handy Drain Valve and Hose for that. 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Brewer said:

I just hung an aqua c remora on the back of my 20 gallon--insteadof squeezing a small skimmer in the return. Adds water volume and is oversized for good cleaning.

20 hours ago, DSA65PRO said:

I have a LifeReef Skimmer and it is the best Skimmer I’ve ever had. It’s got a Gate Valve, for the super easy adjustment. Once set, it rarely needs to be touched. It was in operation for over seven months before I even pulled the entire skimmer to clean it. I did this as I was going out of town for a week. About every two weeks I pull the Cup and wipe the Throat with a Paper Towel. You can use anybody’s pump with it, and since Europe Voltages are different than US Voltages, you would need to delete the pump. Also one thing that is unique about it is it pulls its air from the Skimmer cup, so there is Zero Smell. Also if the Cup was going to “ Boil Over,” the Foam and Water will stop the Skimming Action, before it dumps the Hard Waste into the Tank. BTW You can use a Auxiliary Collection Bottle. It has a Handy Drain Valve and Hose for that. 

Thanks for the suggestions, but sadly these models aren't available in Belgium...

I think I'll go with the Tunze 9001 DC model, which might offer some extra flexibility in fine-tuning its performance.

image.jpeg.c5eb84ddc5c94b0e6021627197c7be2d.jpeg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Brewer said:

What about octopus models?

I like those models, but no HOB for me. This aquarium is standing in my living room so the aesthetics are important. No science lab for me 😉

Lol, gotcha! Tunze seems like a good choice then... i looked at it when shopping for my 20 gallon. The performance didnt seem to get the best reviews, always, comparitively speaking (amount of skimmate and micro bubbles) so just look into those issues and how to mitigate them.

The remora can be found on ebay and asethically isnt much different, IMO, unless you can see the back of your tank, fyi.

11 hours ago, Brewer said:

Lol, gotcha! Tunze seems like a good choice then... i looked at it when shopping for my 20 gallon. The performance didnt seem to get the best reviews, always, comparitively speaking (amount of skimmate and micro bubbles) so just look into those issues and how to mitigate them.

The remora can be found on ebay and asethically isnt much different, IMO, unless you can see the back of your tank, fyi.

Thanks Brewer for the info. I really appreciate it!

We don't have a lot of options for the WB cube 20... If the sump chamber was just that little bit wider, it could fit so much more options...

But no complaining from me, I'll make it work 😁

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
On 8/25/2020 at 11:02 AM, DSA65PRO said:

Which LifeReef Skimmer do you use on your Waterbox 20?