SaltCritters.com

Tunze 9001 & IM Nuvo Fusion 20

bashment

Hello everyone,

Currently have my IM Nuvo Fusion 20 setup with 2 Tunze Silence return pumps in the return chamber in hopes of using the Tunze 9001 for skimming. Anyone here with the same setup that can show some pics of how they mounted/installed the skimmer? I am about to order the skimmer and would like install to go smoothly. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

- Bash

Glue the thinner "outside" magnet to the wide part of the skimmer.

Mount in the center if the pump chamber.

Use the magnet that is pressure tab attached to the side of skimmer on the outside rear wall

Glue the thinner "outside" magnet to the wide part of the skimmer.

Mount in the center if the pump chamber.

Use the magnet that is pressure tab attached to the side of skimmer on the outside rear wall

Thank you so much for the response. I will set it up this way. Hopefully super glue will be sufficient to hold.

• 3 weeks later...

Im gonna do the same as you.. Can you let me know how you setup the 2 Tunze Silence return pumps? what pumps are you using? Can you send me a link? I really appreciate your help. Thank you.

Im gonna do the same as you.. Can you let me know how you setup the 2 Tunze Silence return pumps? what pumps are you using? Can you send me a link? I really appreciate your help. Thank you.

Tunze 1073.008

Install them on each side of the rear chamber under the return nozzles.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Both my Nuvo 20 and Tunze 9001 are set to be delivered today. I plan to knock one one of the baffles separating the far left and right sections in order to fit the skimmer in there, as I would not like to mess with the return pump plumbing. I'll take pics as I do it and try to remember to post them here for you. 

• Like 1
do not smoke the reef(er)
Just now, ry05coupe said:

Both my Nuvo 20 and Tunze 9001 are set to be delivered today. I plan to knock one one of the baffles separating the far left and right sections in order to fit the skimmer in there, as I would not like to mess with the return pump plumbing. I'll take pics as I do it and try to remember to post them here for you. 

I wish i could do this but my tank is already filled and set up. Dont wanna try knocking one of thsoe out while i have water in the tank. Lol

I'll post pics of splitting the return pump.

38 minutes ago, ry05coupe said:

bummer! You could potentially drain the water in the back and cut it out that way, but that would be a bit more work :/ 

Yeah a little too much work and might be a little bit hard to clean out if i make a mess back there. knowing me, there will definitely be some sort of mess.  Live and learn haha  

Looks like I am going to have to remount my AI prime and move the ATO sensor to put this skimmer in the center chamber as well. With your way you get to avoid all that. Excited to see how it ends up looking.

2 hours ago, do not smoke the reef(er) said:

Yeah a little too much work and might be a little bit hard to clean out if i make a mess back there. knowing me, there will definitely be some sort of mess.  Live and learn haha  

Looks like I am going to have to remount my AI prime and move the ATO sensor to put this skimmer in the center chamber as well. With your way you get to avoid all that. Excited to see how it ends up looking.

If you chance your mind, here are pictures of what I did. Not too messy at all and took about 10 minutes. No need to modify the skimmer now, either. 

IMG_8435.PNG

IMG_8436.PNG

IMG_8437.PNG

• Like 1

YES!  Someone finally removed the baffle.  Most I suggest this to just freak out like it's some special omg the tank will explode piece of magical glass

• Like 1
1 hour ago, StevieT said:

YES!  Someone finally removed the baffle.  Most I suggest this to just freak out like it's some special omg the tank will explode piece of magical glass

I dare it to explode. I'll sue everyone, including myself. 

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, nole1919 said:

How did you cut out the baffle to make the tunze 9001 fit?

I used a scalpel blade from work. You could use anything like that, or even silicone cutting wire. It comes out in one piece. 

The 9001 came in this week, time to begin the modifications!

58b4760bd5e63_tunzeeback.JPG.20345f7482954986783cbbc8a1f6512a.JPG58b4769e88d15_tunzepacbac.JPG.ad00037f9a84863b7ecf2d9ac8197c58.JPG

I began with taking off the back magnet and relocating it to the side of the skimmer. Used some super glue and glue accelerator, let it sit over night and the magnet was secure.58b4760a714ed_tunzeebackmod.JPG.bd913bc55ca10e9a6fdb13c0a02269f4.JPG58b4760cac58b_tunzeesidemod.JPG.da02a6e60eded6d62cde40e6ae768b48.JPG

Drained the center back portion of the tank. Took apart the Y joint i had connected to my Eheim 1000 compact. Had to get a reducer in order to go from 5/8 to the correct size. Moved this pump to the far left side and placed the Eheim compact 600 on the left. Removed the dosing bracket, ATO and lighting.

58b476c2acc1f_plumbingtunzee.JPG.cd25b3cc7e174be37da57cdd997e1b3e.JPG

Not going to lie this was a pain in the A**, cutting the tubing the correct size, making sure the flow was correct for the pumps before i put in the skimmer. I then put in the skimmer, the flow coming out of the return pumps was a little bit too much for my corals. Had to remove the skimmer in order to adjust return pump flow. 

Fixed that issue and re installed the skimmer, dosing bracket and lighting. The fit is quite snug and i had to fiddle with the water level some. Not getting any micro bubbles. I am getting foam production, but the foam will not spill over into the cup. Any advice? might just be the break in period or there is not much to skim.

58b476c393a2c_tunzeefoam.JPG.17fe8c1bf85392be8b4c11d638a49a55.JPG

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Updated, Tunzee 9001 in the center chamber is putting in some work. Skimming well, no micro bubbles. Light tea colored skim. ATO is needed for this set up though since this skimmer needs to be at a certain water level to function properly. Took some adjustments with skimmer height and flow rate to dial it in. This unit is SILENT 

Your catch cup can fill fast if the water level gets too high. Even when i put my hand in the tank or float some frags this disturbance in the water level effects the skimmer. Sometimes I will turn mine off to avoid filling up the catch up.

• 11 months later...
On 1/2/2016 at 10:16 AM, StevieT said:

It may. Or look into an epoxy made for plastics at the hardware store. Weld on #16 would be ideal but only found at plastic shops.

Is this reef safe? Or what other glue can we use for this mod?

• 3 months later...