Pod Your Reef

4g Zoa Cube !!!

Reefkid88

So I got home at about 1:45 this morning,and wow.. the tank lol. Definitely GHA and I have some serious flat worms. 

Just tested some water:

NO3-2

NO2-0

PO4-0

NH3-0.8 (I'm assuming this came from the dead hermit mt wife never pulled out 😑)

PH-7.6

• Sad 1
  • Wow 1

Sooo,I guess I am going to have to do a nice water chance,scrape everything nice and good,possibly take the rocks out and scrape them and dose peroxide on main area's. 

The color of the gha is light,so I am assuming its either running out of nutrients or has just enough to keep it alive. It comes off the rocks and glass fairly easy. 

The flatworm's I know exactly where came from,even after dipping some obviously survived. Even after a good strong dip and a hefty basting. 

So what did everyone grab for BF ? I stopped by LRO and grabbed a few pieces. Pics later on this evening. I got 3 zoa frags,3 Acan's and a small mushie. 

• Wow 1
On 11/10/2020 at 6:06 PM, Reefkid88 said:

Guys look at what my wife just sent me..

Resized_20201110_210153.jpeg

So I've got a bad habit of reacting with a laugh at somebody else's expense in certain circumstances.  It's terrible, I realize.  I think it's my mom's fault from back when I was a kid, like 8-9 years old, walking down a beach together when all of a sudden a seagull flies over and dumps a sloppy steamy turd on my head.  My mom, without hesitation, laughed historically.  I did not laugh, because I had a sloppy steamy turd on my head.  But ever since, for whatever reason (nature vs. nurture?) I sometimes have sadistic knee-jerk chuckle-head reactions like my mom did with that sloppy steamy turn on my head.  No joke, I feel like I was just strolling along the beach reading your epic thread and enjoying the zoa convo when all of a sudden this sloppy steamy turd just dropped.  I laughed.  I admit it, I LOL'ed when I should not have LOL'ed.  Sorry, it just was such a relatable post to me.  I haven't read the rest of your thread from here, so I'm going to feel terrible if any of the zoa's have suffered.  Hopefully not, because I appreciate your enthusiasm for the hobby from a collectible and deal-finding perspective.  And your scape is perfect for the collection.  Following.

• Thanks 1
40 minutes ago, SaltyTanks said:

So I've got a bad habit of reacting with a laugh at somebody else's expense in certain circumstances.  It's terrible, I realize.  I think it's my mom's fault from back when I was a kid, like 8-9 years old, walking down a beach together when all of a sudden a seagull flies over and dumps a sloppy steamy turd on my head.  My mom, without hesitation, laughed historically.  I did not laugh, because I had a sloppy steamy turd on my head.  But ever since, for whatever reason (nature vs. nurture?) I sometimes have sadistic knee-jerk chuckle-head reactions like my mom did with that sloppy steamy turn on my head.  No joke, I feel like I was just strolling along the beach reading your epic thread and enjoying the zoa convo when all of a sudden this sloppy steamy turd just dropped.  I laughed.  I admit it, I LOL'ed when I should not have LOL'ed.  Sorry, it just was such a relatable post to me.  I haven't read the rest of your thread from here, so I'm going to feel terrible if any of the zoa's have suffered.  Hopefully not, because I appreciate your enthusiasm for the hobby from a collectible and deal-finding perspective.  And your scape is perfect for the collection.  Following.

Hahaha its all good. I have had one of the steamy white capped turds land on me numerous times lol. Your form of enthusiasm and humor is completely fine with me !!! It doesn't bother me one bit,it gives me a bit of laughter myself. 

I appreciate a good deal,and collecting. I love Z's and P's and Acan's. As you can tell. I really think when I made the scape I had Acro's in mind and decided to go against it. So if it was 1 layer shorter it would be absolutely perfect. 

I already need a bigger tank,which I have ideas for already. But until then and whenever I finish my stint of out of town work in Nashville everything will continue to fill in and mature. 

I appreciate your follow and if you have ant wisdom,questions,smart remarks,ideas whatever go ahead and post them lol. 

Also,you will learn to that I'm not one of those guys that freaks out every time I get algae or a pest. Like the GHA that popped up,manual removal and a few small water changes will help. I've been in the hobby for 11 years lol its nothing to freak out over like most people do. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Are you headed back out of town? What are you running for lights now? Did you keep the DIY strip attached to the AI? Do you find the fan on the AI to be loud if you run 50% or higher?

I am actually,currently in GA. Umm I want to say its under 20w I want to 16w or 18w. I did not,it was so insanely hot there just wasn't enough heatsink for the 6 leds. It can be loud,but I don't really hear it due to my floor fan running 24/7 and the tv on majority of the time. 

Thanks for the quick reply. I was considering getting a light since there are some sales. I have decided not to yet. Really shouldn't spend the money right now plus the tank is not getting set up till some time next year. Until I have a solid plan for what coral I want I can't decide what light to get. I hope the algae problem gets better. The pictures from Friday with the new frags looked promising. 

11 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Are you headed back out of town? What are you running for lights now? Did you keep the DIY strip attached to the AI? Do you find the fan on the AI to be loud if you run 50% or higher?

I can't say I blame you,but honestly I feel like you can get a better deal on open box primes at PremiumAquatics or BRS. The BF deals were not to AMAZING it was better on coral than equipment if you ask me. 

I have high hopes honestly,but we shall see. I did a half gallon wc while I was home and plucked a good amount of algae out of the tank. We shall see at Christmas time when I go home. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Reefkid88 said:

Would anyone maybe be interested in my Prime 16HD ? Contemplating selling it and using my original diy light idea...🤔

Lol, I just decided to grab one of those NiCrew prime knock-offs, was only $30 for double the wattage of my par bulb setup, about the same damn price too.

Otherwise I'd be interested XD

On 11/27/2020 at 3:14 PM, Reefkid88 said:

So what did everyone grab for BF ? I stopped by LRO and grabbed a few pieces. Pics later on this evening. I got 3 zoa frags,3 Acan's and a small mushie. 

Got a few 

E081C6CF-7880-4643-A372-DC7444E05B8E.png

• Wow 1
2 hours ago, A.m.P said:

Lol, I just decided to grab one of those NiCrew prime knock-offs, was only $30 for double the wattage of my par bulb setup, about the same damn price too.

You talking about this guy? https://www.amazon.com/NICREW-Aquarium-Dimmable-Spectrum-Saltwater/dp/B08CK4NMSF/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=nicrew%2Bled&qid=1607755867&sr=8-7&th=1&psc=1

• Like 1
7 hours ago, A.m.P said:

Those don't look to be,although the longevity of those leds is hit or miss and in due time I'm sure the violets will pop first. So just be aware of this. Tag me when you get it and get it set up.

• Like 1

Absolutely, I already had a pre-emptive planned talking about how NiCrew and aquaknight are both likely using bulk-bought bottom-bin cree's, or even failed QC; how all diodes are not equal out of manufacturing, how the board, bin, and cooling are just as important as any name. Etc.

NiCrew has a mixed reputation in the freshwater community, but enough folks swear by them to be given a fair chance. And for $30 I doubt it's going to be dimmer or have less spread than a 12w par bulb XD

Oh, and yeah batman, the "hyperreef" lights.

• 2 weeks later...

Well,I had planned on switching back to my DIY light this trip home..well I don't think its going to happen. 

Controller is still acting really weird. Also,I guess my wife was not paying attention to what she was doing and stacked a bunch of stuff on top of the light in the closet and messed up the driver board lmao.. so yay.. I swear I cannot catch a break this time with a tank of light or algae issues..smh.. 

• Sad 2