Cultivated Reef

Mitten_reef’s WB55.2

mitten_reef

• mitten_reef changed the title to Mitten_reef’s WB55.2 - An Acroholic's Journey 3/26/23 fts
Fish out of Water

The table in the center is beautiful. Do you know it's species name or trade name? Also, pretty amazing what you're doing with such minimal rockwork. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
mitten_reef
3 hours ago, Fish out of Water said:

The table in the center is beautiful. Do you know it's species name or trade name? Also, pretty amazing what you're doing with such minimal rockwork. 

Its trade name is “BC aquaticman table” (BC for battle corals).  I bought mine from farmerty.
I think it’s a. hyancinthus, or a. anthocercis, but there’s an off chance it could be a.cytherea. Although it doesn’t look as open as cytherea 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
mitten_reef
2 hours ago, Fish out of Water said:

Oh, and thank you for stopping by. 

I also have two rather large rocks in the sump to make up for what I don’t have in the display. They’re probably about 10”x5”x2-3” thick each. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
mitten_reef

Got home after spring break. 

apparently, my urchin may have popped my scoly loosed and ate thru most of its skeleton, that f*ckr would have been evicted if I didn’t need it to help control sponge and bubble algae. 
One of my recently arrived frag got knocked off the racks and stn slightly, hopefully it’ll be ok. 

other than that the rest of the acros AND the torch look happier than ever.  I say that’s a win for a 9-day trip. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 2
1 hour ago, mitten_reef said:

apparently, my urchin may have popped my scoly loosed and ate thru most of its skeleton, that f*ckr would have been evicted if I didn’t need it to help control sponge and bubble algae. 
One of my recently arrived frag got knocked off the racks and stn slightly, hopefully it’ll be ok. 

other than that the rest of the acros AND the torch look happier than ever.  I say that’s a win for a 9-day trip. 

Sorry to hear about the scoly. I swear whenever I leave the tanks for a while they always look so good when I return. Idk why! 

• Like 2
mitten_reef
13 minutes ago, joshthebox said:

Sorry to hear about the scoly. I swear whenever I leave the tanks for a while they always look so good when I return. Idk why! 

Found a chunk half the size of the pinky nail with full flesh intact. Let’s see if I can rescue it

probably cuz it just looks so good to see it alive 🤣🤣🤣.

But seriously, I know what you mean, but idk why either. 

• Like 3
13 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

For a 9 day trip, I'd call it a W too 🙂

• Agree 2
18 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

probably cuz it just looks so good to see it alive 🤣🤣🤣.

But seriously, I know what you mean, but idk why either. 

I think the late Jake Adams coined it as "benign neglect" lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
mitten_reef
24 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

good luck. Does covering the unhealthy/dead tissue with super glue help stop further tissue damage?

It helped with a few acro frags in the past, the success rate for me is def below 50%, haha. But I think it just prevents any peeling tissue/flesh from being blown around causing further damage, not necessarily doing any actual healing. So if the underlying damage has already begun, it can’t/won’t stop it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • 2 weeks later...
mitten_reef
55 minutes ago, TheKleinReef said:

i'm so afraid to buy plates and scolys. i feel like they are corals for rent. i tried a plate from cherry that did well but when the goby buried it, it never recovered.

and on that note, the plate that I got (brought back to full health initially) has also been struggling for about a month now...it was peeling just prior to my last fts, hence why i moved it to the background (but really to be further from the light and flow).  since then, it had stopped peeling, but did lose quite a bit of tissue - i'm just in the recovery stage with it now.    

• Like 1
TheKleinReef
1 minute ago, mitten_reef said:

and on that note, the plate that I got (brought back to full health initially) has also been struggling for about a month now...it was peeling just prior to my last fts, hence why i moved it to the background (but really to be further from the light and flow).  since then, it had stopped peeling, but did lose quite a bit of tissue - i'm just in the recovery stage with it now.    

I got a tiny plate when i started my first tank in 2011. I had it for soooooooo long, like 5 years or so. It died in the 65g crash but it seems that type of plate is so hard to find now. it was the light greenish/brown variety. I feel like these neon plates are much harder to keep long term. It can't find the species of the one i had before anywhere though.

mitten_reef

picked up another wrasse this wknd, yellow coris, this time.  hoping for it to take care of some spaghetti worms in the sand bed (per the internet).  we shall see if this natural solution of pest control will work.  

• Like 4
mitten_reef

5/1/2023 fts

703F334F-5569-4F6F-9438-E412641F74BD.thumb.jpeg.02baa1f667ba47035e4cabfde171e45f.jpeg

Plate continues to slowly deteriorate, sigh. 
Most of the acros are now in growth mode, 😬.  
gold torch is still alive and really happy looking. I will probably get another one soon, since my frags did really well at the local swap two wknds ago.  LFS took them to the swap for me, so I’m taking all the sales in store credit to support him (he did offer to venmo me as an option as well). 
Will like be focusing on acros, torch and goni moving forward, and avoiding the big meaty LPS. 

• Like 9
  • Wow 1
  • mitten_reef changed the title to Mitten_reef’s WB55.2 - An Acroholic's Journey
NoOneLikesADryTang
On 5/1/2023 at 6:58 PM, mitten_reef said:

Will like be focusing on acros, torch and goni moving forward, and avoiding the big meaty LPS. 

There you go, fixed it for you. 😏

• Haha 2
mitten_reef
21 hours ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

There you go, fixed it for you. 😏

really, if my LFS do another bulk order of goni, I'll probably try and cherry-pick a handful more.  But with the frag sales so stagnant with his stuff, idk if he'd go for it.      

• Like 2
tanacharison

Tank is looking fire!! I think your the only one left I used to follow along with 🤣 no better today to come back than may the 4th be with you. 

• Thanks 1
mitten_reef
On 5/4/2023 at 6:28 PM, tanacharison said:

Tank is looking fire!! I think your the only one left I used to follow along with 🤣 no better today to come back than may the 4th be with you. 

I'm too damn stubborn to quit...🤣.  

• Like 2
  • mitten_reef changed the title to Mitten_reef’s WB55.2