Cultivated Reef

Mitten_reef’s WB55.2

mitten_reef

mitten_reef

This just happened today…

guess we can call it the first step of breaking down this tank. 
IMG_1508.thumb.jpeg.4ba0c7be632c523234b893d7160840b4.jpeg

the digi colony was so brittle, it just crumbled as I tried to saw off the branch end that it was attached to, was hoping to sell the whole colony locally. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Sad 4
mitten_reef
1 hour ago, debbeach13 said:

Does this mean you are not swapping tanks?

I am, the guy is dropping off his tank this week. 

44 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

I think we were sad about your digs colony crumbling. Besides, it's not spring break yet. You are a bit premature!

*Digi 

Ahh, was wondering if the digi caused the sad reaction part. The rock was getting overrun by bubble algae, so a drastic move was much needed before it gets all over the tank. So far it seemed mostly contained to the rock, with a few strays on some frags. 

Also Spring break is the last week of the month, which means there are only two weeks left. We’ll be gone for two weeks for the break, so less stuff to worry about will be best as well 

• Like 1
NoOneLikesADryTang
16 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

The rock was getting overrun by bubble algae, so a drastic move was much needed before it gets all over the tank.

An 80 gallon tank means you’ve got room for a fox face! In my experience, they’re the best algae eaters you can have in your reef tank.  They’ve always tackled bubble and hair algae that others wouldn’t touch. 

Congrats on the new tank! Also… Those chalice and Jawbreakers are sweet! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
tmc1313
1 hour ago, mitten_reef said:

Well, the wife is gonna like this little surprise after work today. 

IMG_1567.thumb.jpeg.2560a614c3b5dc0ca11fcf82e9d72bc2.jpeg

pardon all the mess 😂

Ummm, excuse me sir, How dare  you foul these hallowed nano halls with that monstrosity of a tank. You are not allowed here anymore😁. Of course, I kid. Congrats, on the new tank. New starts are always fun. So many possibilities!!!

• Haha 3
  • 2 weeks later...
mitten_reef

IMG_0026.thumb.jpeg.df1f201c40cf56d913ed1c516ea7c138.jpeg

Last shot before a very long spring break trip. new iPhone does a decent job, probably looks better if I turned off the blue bars. 

had to do it while thinking of it, blue bars off

IMG_0028.thumb.jpeg.4e807d1f68505d4563071c5fb7efd08c.jpeg

• Like 6
  • mitten_reef changed the title to Mitten_reef’s WB55.2
mitten_reef
5 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Looking good. I hope you have a great trip.

Thanks Deb!  really excited for it.

1 hour ago, Koleswrath said:

Man, I gotta get me a clam! Beauty!
Looking forward to seeing a new tank setup...even if it's one of those...ugh....big fancy one's. 😉

Big?  yes.  Fancy?  hm, not really.  It is nice, it's the DeepBlue 80G rimless that most LFS's carry.  AND it IS the size and dimension that I've wanted for a long time.     

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...
mitten_reef

These tiny chunks of real ocean live rocks hopped in my suitcase over spring break. I let them air dry for a bit prior to putting them in the suitcase. But as you can see some colors are still there after spending time traveling around. 

image.thumb.jpeg.e6087312d4a72066804ca3edb4038aab.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Wow 3
geekreef_05

Super awesome! Look at that coralline! totally cant wait to see how you use it. 

• Like 1
mitten_reef
5 minutes ago, geekreef_05 said:

Super awesome! Look at that coralline! totally cant wait to see how you use it. 

Right now, just putting them in the sump, hoping that any remaining microbes will be revived. 

now that you mentioned the coralline, maybe I DO need to put them up in the display so the algae gets some light for photosynthesis as well. 

• Agree 1
NoOneLikesADryTang
4 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

These tiny chunks of real ocean live rocks hopped in my suitcase over spring break.

I knew I liked your style Mr. Mittenz! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1