ReefCleaners.org

Mitten_reef’s WB55.2 - 4/30 top-down pics

mitten_reef

1 hour ago, mitten_reef said:

A new beginning is on the way, a refresh if you will. 

Can't wait to see what it looks like - I've always loved the scape of this tank. I've been planning my refresh as well and I've had the rock sitting in my house for only...7 months... So really any day now 😆

I have a feeling yours will actually be done and looking awesome before I even finish waffling!

• Haha 1
  • Wow 1
7 hours ago, jservedio said:

Can't wait to see what it looks like - I've always loved the scape of this tank. I've been planning my refresh as well and I've had the rock sitting in my house for only...7 months... So really any day now 😆

I have a feeling yours will actually be done and looking awesome before I even finish waffling!

You’re underestimating my wife’s ability to steal away all my wknd time, and also my procrastination skills… 

• Haha 3
  • Wow 1

So, I have an interesting question for the stickheads following this thread. (Sorry to Hijack)

I recently saw a Jawdropper frag which more-or-less just looked like bright green and yellow melted crayons, kind of like the pigment/fluorescence infections you see in LPS or monticaps.

Is there anything which isn't stupid expensive, and also insanely difficult to keep, which is also bright green and yellow like that?
I actually don't really like the way the adult colonies look with all the extra colors, But I love the frags -- it has that yongei fluorescent green and just a fantastic bright yellow.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, A.m.P said:

So, I have an interesting question for the stickheads following this thread. (Sorry to Hijack)

I recently saw a Jawdropper frag which more-or-less just looked like bright green and yellow melted crayons, kind of like the pigment/fluorescence infections you see in LPS or monticaps.

Is there anything which isn't stupid expensive, and also insanely difficult to keep, which is also bright green and yellow like that?
I actually don't really like the way the adult colonies look with all the extra colors, But I love the frags -- it has that yongei fluorescent green and just a fantastic bright yellow.

I think JD is in a class by itself, gonna be hard to find something that mimic it, that’s why it costs as much as it does. 

Gateway to yellow - pink lemonade

real yellow - RR Pink Floyd, there were a few others on my shortlist, but forgot their names at the moment. 

both of the above have yellow base with pink/red polyps, making for very nice contrast. 

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, A.m.P said:

Here are the other two

Inland Cyclops

https://www.blacklabelaquatics.com/collections/sps/products/copy-of-inland-cyclops-1

BC Teenwolf 

https://www.blacklabelaquatics.com/collections/sps/products/copy-of-bc-battlestag

• Wow 1
7 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

I think JD is in a class by itself, gonna be hard to find something that mimic it, that’s why it costs as much as it does. 

Gateway to yellow - pink lemonade

real yellow - RR Pink Floyd, there were a few others on my shortlist, but forgot their names at the moment. 

both of the above have yellow base with pink/red polyps, making for very nice contrast. 

7 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Oooh, I'll add those onto my watch-list, thanks a ton for the suggestions! Those are really, really close... 
I wonder which is more durable, I've actually found stags to be touchy from time-to-time.

I'm thinking of resetting and trading that colony of green cali tort and maybe trying to find another easy acro which brings some kind of color combo I have a better shot of actually seeing.

It'd be a different story on the jawdropper if it weren't a species that's so legendarily difficult to keep alive XD

The list so-far had been; frogskin, budgie-smuggler, TGC Creamsicle starts identical but loses all the green, Bananarama might stay greenish in my system b/c I have a nack for keeping things green, yellow hibachi but I'm not convinced it exists.
Some of the kind of burnt-orange millis with green polyps (sunset/tsa banger?) tho...

Not the same by a long-shot, but easier to keep and most likely not budget-breaking <__>

That is a nice ass Scoly !!! 

Are you a fan of Trachy's at all ? If so AquaSD has some nice ones for $30 and up. QueenCity Corals has some Croc Island Madter Scoly's for pretty cheap right now as well. 

• Like 1

tested all big 3 last night for the first time in years

Alk - 6.5

Cal - 480

Mag - >1600

The most puzzling is the Mag, since I've been using "2-part" so Mag and Cal should have been tracking together. 

Which, maybe it's not too puzzling since Cal is elevated noticeably above normal, so Mag is similar above normal but just happen to be out of test kit range.

3 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

I would like to mention and congratulate my buddy and fellow NR member @pokerdobe for being featured in the latest issue of RHM

https://www.reefhobbyistmagazine.com/read-magazine.php?did=6574320_97677896

Easily one of the best reef tanks out there! Nice article. I haven't looked at the magazine online in awhile - I like the embedded video!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Green stag rtn’ing this morning

Firecracker frag started yesterday

alk suddenly dropped below 6, after I raised to 7.5 and kept it there not too long ago.  Feels like this drop might be too quick for the coral to handle? Idk, but this kinda sucks. 

This much rtn is gonna cause dino to follow, 🤦🏻‍♂️ can’t do anything right these days

• Sad 1
poor man reef
On 11/4/2023 at 12:39 PM, mitten_reef said:

The acro tree? Might be able to trim down a little bit on the right side of the white base rock. That’s not supporting the branch

IMG_1098.thumb.jpeg.80e41b7918805a19fd54ee524c58da97.jpeg

It does look good!

• Thanks 1

The rtn train is rolling, the WD frag is all white. The green stag is still holding, not further peeling, but don’t know if it’ll last 

5 hours ago, TheKleinReef said:

alk below 8.0 is just not worth it anymore. since i've kept things a 9, it's been so much more stable. 

I think everything finally got to the good growing alk level, and we left town two wknds in a row. Idk 🤷🏻‍♂️ Clams were taking off, so were the tenuis in the past two weeks. 

• Sad 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
mitten_reef

Things are getting better around the tank. The big green stag survived, but not it the best of shape, but enough to clip some frags for regrow. 
prop the peach maxima up in the center temporarily, and it looks so nice have to take a pic.  
full spectrum topdown…zero progress on the tank reno. 😅

IMG_1327.thumb.jpeg.fb7ee0df502bcf057196ac59024696c6.jpeg

• Like 4
  • 1 month later...
mitten_reef

I think we’re at the front end of a realistic turnaround/comeback for this tank. 
IMG_1497.thumb.jpeg.7f4d55206b79fd81d6b189dc8829bccd.jpeg

IMG_1496.thumb.jpeg.b25ce58ff51bf5ce480376ba4dababd3.jpeg

IMG_1495.thumb.jpeg.26d74d3aa22e9179fca1a1911e532e98.jpeg

IMG_1494.thumb.jpeg.0336e35ce57f3141043e277557f9ad73.jpeg

IMG_1493.thumb.jpeg.b78be451effd7b122653e729f600523c.jpeg

also, I’ve agreed to swap tank with a local reefer friend, will be moving up to the deep blue 80G rimless after our spring break. 

• Like 6
  • Wow 3
  • mitten_reef changed the title to Mitten_reef’s WB55.2 - 4/30 top-down pics