Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Josh's Softy Reef(s)

joshthebox

Tank: 21”x21”x12” Miracles Glass (roughly 20g)

Overflow: XAqua inout

Sump: Trigger System Ruby 20C

Skimmer: Reef Octopus 150int

Return: Sicce 2.0

Doser: RedSea Reef Dose 2; ESV B-Ionic 

Wave makers: 2 MP10QD and 2 Nero5

Lighting: Aquatic life DX18 hybrid with G5 XR30 Blue. 3 ATI Blue+ and 1 Geisemann tropic

Custom tube stand

ATO: XP aqua duetto

Heater: Eheim 200w

This system has been running for almost a year(?) now, and was covering some of it in a previous thread for my other tank. The goal for this tank is to keep it simple and easy to maintain. The equipment might seem overkill because this system was pretty much frankensteined together with parts I was either given, or got an extremely good deal on. Looking forward to seeing how the corals will grow in over the years. I'm not perfectly happy with the coral placement though. I might have to rehome the Goniopora as my clownfish keep torturing the poor things... 

IMG_2968.jpg

IMG_2979.JPG

IMG_2997.JPG

Updated FTS 

IMG_0092.thumb.JPG.10ab3d231731b7e2465a4587d84d72d5.JPG

IMG_9660.thumb.jpg.12f33b3901f27cc36a847d6d1bba68db.jpg

• Like 10
12 hours ago, Chowder's Reef said:

Sad about your other tank, but I'm excited to see how this one fills in! 

Same here 😔 Thanks, I'm excited as well! 

3 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

Digging the no sand look!

Definitely something different! I like that it allows me to have a ton of flow, plus it keeps the display free of detritus. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, joshthebox said:

Haha sand definitely looks nice, but bare bottom is better for flow 😜

The important thing is that you are happy with it. Ignore people "rating" your tank.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
filefishfinatic
8 minutes ago, joshthebox said:

Haha sand definitely looks nice, but bare bottom is better for flow 😜

what about putting some pavona or xenia on the bottom, it could encrust and it would basically just eat the detritus. it dosent look that bad as bare bottom but i just think that tanks look way more natural with sand 

21 minutes ago, PeterU said:

The important thing is that you are happy with it. Ignore people "rating" your tank.

Oh absolutely, great advice! All I care about is the health of the animals. In the end i'm the one looking at the tank every day 😁

• Like 3
18 minutes ago, filefishfinatic said:

what about putting some pavona or xenia on the bottom, it could encrust and it would basically just eat the detritus. it dosent look that bad as bare bottom but i just think that tanks look way more natural with sand 

Cool idea, but it would be extremely difficult to remove encrusting corals from a pane of glass. I found that out the hard way 🤣

• Like 1
filefishfinatic
Just now, joshthebox said:

Cool idea, but it would be extremely difficult to remove encrusting corals from a pane of glass. I found that out the hard way 🤣

you could get a peice of acrylic and lift it up if you need to frag it. put lips on the edges so it is very hard for it actually to encrust anything. 

14 hours ago, Jaren45 said:

How do you like that overflow? I've always thought about using one on a nano but theres not much info about it online

It's not bad at all, just a bit noisy in my opinion. It hardly takes up any tank space which is nice. I was given the tank and the overflow so I decided to just run with it. If I was to setup the tank again, I might opt for an overflow with at least two drains (herbie style) to reduce noise. The overflow is around 1.5", so i'm not worried about it getting clogged. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
27 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Those two are nice size! Gonna need some top down of them.

I'll have to take some photos! Yeah the two of them are pretty large! The clam from my Nuvo 20 is much smaller, you can see it behind the Fiji leather. Seems to be adjusting well to the LED and T5 combo 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, ptora said:

Love it, I went bare bottom for the first time and don't think I can look back.

Same here! Although sand does look very nice, bare bottom is so easy to keep clean. Plus I don't have to deal with sandstorms lol 

• Like 1

Think I might try dosing nitrate and phosphate as my nutrients are always undetectable with salifert tests. Perhaps that is why my Oregon tort isn't as deep blue as it should be (mother colony was extremely blue). I have a massive skimmer (rated for up to 210g LOL) and only a few fish, so that probably has something to do with it. My fish are super aggressive unfortunately, if they weren't I'd introduce some more. 

IMG_3033.JPG

IMG_3036.JPG

IMG_3038.JPG

• Like 4
filefishfinatic
On 11/18/2021 at 4:17 PM, joshthebox said:

Love the clams. Eventually I want to a baby blue maxima, but sellers are always asking way too much lol 

IMG_3014.JPG

IMG_3015.JPG

dont get a baby, they are bristleworm food. get a bigger one. they grow fast too 

2 hours ago, joshthebox said:

Well lets see how this goes. My target is a nitrate of 5 and phosphate at 0.03 

IMG_4027.jpg

Good luck, I've been dosing nitrates recently too. Will most likely throw it on a doser since I'm doing almost 20ml a day!

• Like 1
  • Wow 2
  • joshthebox changed the title to Josh's Softy Reef(s)