ReefCleaners.org

SPS Coral Prices (CRAZY)

dling

It blows me away when I  shop for coral frags. SPS only. I  all over the web at different sites looking for the best

deals that I can find. I don't know who's paying 150 .00 , 250.00 , 350.00 and above for these 1" and 2 " frags. I've seen many places giving

these small pieces of coral these cool names. Then asking these crazy prices. I usually pay no more then 50.00 to 60.00 a frag and spend enough

to get free shipping. I would lose my mind if I spent 400.00 on a piece of coral and it didn't make in my tank. That's my rant for the day. Glad I got that off my chest.

In hind site a shot of Whisky my have also helped.

Just ordered 5 wysiwyg from unique corals all 1" in size for 169.00. Free shipping.

• Like 5
9 minutes ago, IHaveADegreeInMarineBioBut said:

What really gets me is that they're only ~1-2 inches like you said

Agreed.  For me it's hit or miss that the coral survives.   Just imagine that you spent 2-3 hundred dollars on the small frag and it dies. 

🤬😩

IHaveADegreeInMarineBioBut
3 minutes ago, dling said:

Agreed.  For me it's hit or miss that the coral survives.   Just imagine that you spent 2-3 hundred dollars on the small frag and it dies. 

🤬😩

ON TOP of that to risk shipping it... 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, IHaveADegreeInMarineBioBut said:

ON TOP of that to risk shipping it... 

I received 5 corals Tuesday.  2 where white when they arrived. Hoping to get either refunded or replaced. 

IHaveADegreeInMarineBioBut
9 minutes ago, dling said:

I received 5 corals Tuesday.  2 where white when they arrived. Hoping to get either refunded or replaced. 

I've had one coral shipped once and it was the most nerve-racking 24 hours lol 

• Like 1

I ain't got that kind of money . If my wife knew how much I spend as it is  there would be trouble in paradise .

• Like 2
pokerdobe
1 hour ago, dling said:

I ain't got that kind of money . If my wife knew how much I spend as it is  there would be trouble in paradise .

I'm always in trouble with my wife, so it's a moot point for me. 😄 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, pokerdobe said:

There's a buyer at every price. 

+1 - demand dictate supply prices in this market.

In the end, whatever purchase and price makes you happy - 

• Like 1
debbeach13

I am often mad or sad when I see frags selling for more than colonies used to. That’s the disadvantage of being in the hobby for so long. It isn’t a choice any more I just can not afford the crazy prices. Some times I get it. Natural reefs are in trouble and it costs money to aquaculture corals. The rub as stated is the “designer corals” are just ridiculous. As long as some people buy them the prices will continue to increase.

• Like 3
MainelyReefer

Local reefers here offer 10 SPS frags for 100 deals all the time.  Check your local forum that’s were the deals are to be had.  Name brand corals demand more but are way more reasonable locally

7 hours ago, dling said:

Incorrect.  You hope that they recover.   White isn't necessarily a problem.

(Why not buy local, BTW.   Making do with your local store's selection, and making requests, is probably a better route for you, IMO.)

4 hours ago, GraniteReefer said:

Local reefers here offer 10 SPS frags for 100 deals all the time.  Check your local forum that’s were the deals are to be had.  Name brand corals demand more but are way more reasonable locally

Feels like enabling those that pay $300/frag 😉....and argubly it carries even more risk than just buying online.

• Like 1
jservedio
28 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

Incorrect.  You hope that they recover.   White isn't necessarily a problem.

While technically correct, you buy corals online as "What you see is what you get."

If you don't get what you saw online, you are owed a refund regardless if they survive being bleached out not. The reason online corals are more expensive is because this is cost of doing business and is built into the price.

I would love to buy from LFS. The. Nearest one is an hour away. That's a long drive to find out they don't have much.  Believe me,  I've done it.  It'not worth it for me. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, pokerdobe said:

I'm always in trouble with my wife, so it's a moot point for me. 😄 

So we agreed.  It's better to aks for forgiveness then permission. 😉

• Haha 1

Sps here are often the cheaper option unless it's one of those supposedly rare, designer, or crazy named pieces. 

The $10-$20 section at our lfs is full of sps.

If you want a ricordea, rhodactis, scoly, euphyllia you are looking at $60 - $700(even through hobbyists)

As long as ppl pay the crazy prices, the prices will continue to go up.

Add "rare" or a ridiculous name and the price goes up...next yr when such and such coral is no longer the must have that supposedly rare coral is now cheap.

Very frustrating

On 5/7/2020 at 6:10 PM, dling said:

I would love to buy from LFS. The. Nearest one is an hour away. That's a long drive to find out they don't have much.  Believe me,  I've done it.  It'not worth it for me. 

Lol. We have 1 lfs here and it always has the same stuff. 

I gotta drive an hour too to shop around but often its the same stuff, over priced, or they don't have what I want...I'd love a scoly but can't afford $300+ and I can't find a Fiji yellow toadstool anywhere!

• Like 1
NoOneLikesADryTang

You can always buy your SPS online from vendors like battle corals and epic aquaculture (the guy that owns this one is local to us, and he’s part of our local reefing group - he’s an awesome dude, with incredible knowledge). They both will make things right if something dies. 

TBH this is like that for all consumer products. 

You could get a walmart belt or a gucci belt, civic or a lambo 

Depends on the rarity of the coral, coloration, growth rate, if there is a ban in that particular area then prices will go up 

Not wrong for buying either of the spectrum but it just depends on how much everyone is willing to pay for it 

16 minutes ago, duncantse said:

TBH this is like that for all consumer products. 

You could get a walmart belt or a gucci belt, civic or a lambo 

Depends on the rarity of the coral, coloration, growth rate, if there is a ban in that particular area then prices will go up 

Not wrong for buying either of the spectrum but it just depends on how much everyone is willing to pay for it 

Yes in some cases but in this hobby it's often what's popular right now.

Last year I could buy a frogspawn/torch of any kind between $35-$100

Suddenly everyone wants them and torches are $250-350 a head! 

Xenia frag for $30? 

Gsp for $35?

Neither are rare, if anything ppl will give it away for free.

Blasto's aren't rare yet the same 1 I got for $30, right now are $79 plus. 

The same scoly's sold everywhere and clearly not rare are $300? Half dead ones for $150?

Hell rhodactis mushrooms for $60 + a head

Unfortunately prices continue to rise because as long as consumers will pay, they will continue to charge.

• Like 2
On 5/7/2020 at 12:51 PM, debbeach13 said:

I am often mad or sad when I see frags selling for more than colonies used to. That’s the disadvantage of being in the hobby for so long. It isn’t a choice any more I just can not afford the crazy prices. Some times I get it. Natural reefs are in trouble and it costs money to aquaculture corals. The rub as stated is the “designer corals” are just ridiculous. As long as some people buy them the prices will continue to increase.

Same here and completely agree.

It's very frustrating that 10yrs ago I could buy a full colony for less than a frag now.

Half dead corals for prices that are ridiculous.

I would love a scoly but sorry i just can't afford to and won't pay the price.

• Like 4