Coral Vue Hydros

Microscopic Fluval Edge 12g🐟👓

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

1 hour ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

The tank is very long, not super tall. It provides plenty of swimming room for most fish. I was going to include some live rock in the frag to provide hiding spots. Im just going to have a frag tank. I have a nice size mushroom box for my mushrooms, so I dont have to worry about anything harming them. I was also either planning on using an auto feeder, or my dad said he would feed them whenever im not there. Most of these fish I realize normally need a very large, but I was planning on buying them as juveniles and when they get big enough, hopefully I wouldve upgraded by then. If I havent upgraded, I will give away the fish if it gets too big. If a fish is aggressive, I was planning on adding that fish last to lower aggression.

How long is it. Give me a dimension?

Super long tells me nothing.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

How long is it. Give me a dimension?

Super long tells me nothing.  

4 ft long, 2 ft wide, and 16 in deep

54 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Ok that is what I figured, that is not a super long tank. 

That is the dimensions of my tank. It is the same length of standard 75g. 

So fish that can fit comfortably in a 75g can fit in a 70/80g shallow. 

• Like 3
56 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Thats not even as big as my 120g for the depth and putting big fish in my tank crashed the system. I’d advise you drastically reduce the fish dreams to much smaller fish. And get a lid. 16inches is not super deep and just about all the smaller fish jump. 

• Like 2

I am pretty positive it is 4x2... because I have a shallow 80g that is 4x2. It LOOKS 4x2 in the photo. 

Be realistic, I never had large or demanding tanks in college. Stock it lightly and appropriately. 

Do ONE Tang or one foxface (Lo or One Spot) Magnificents grow fast and get too large. I wanted a magnificent too but I don't have one because of how fast they grow. I pined over it for weeks but knew it was a bad idea.

If you want another active fish, do a dwarf angel and add it before the Tang. 

Here is a tang list, any one tang on the 4ft/80g list:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/tank-sizes-for-tangs-help-us-create-a-list.82891/

Something like this would work in a 80g with regular maintenance and water changes:

1 Tang

1 Dwarf Angel

1 Clown (your maroon)

1 Goby (your watchman)

1 Blenny

1-2 Wrasse

• Like 3
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
58 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

I am pretty positive it is 4x2... because I have a shallow 80g that is 4x2. It LOOKS 4x2 in the photo. 

Be realistic, I never had large or demanding tanks in college. Stock it lightly and appropriately. 

Do ONE Tang or one foxface (Lo or One Spot) Magnificents grow fast and get too large. I wanted a magnificent too but I don't have one because of how fast they grow. I pined over it for weeks but knew it was a bad idea.

If you want another active fish, do a dwarf angel and add it before the Tang. 

Here is a tang list, any one tang on the 4ft/80g list:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/tank-sizes-for-tangs-help-us-create-a-list.82891/

Something like this would work in a 80g with regular maintenance and water changes:

1 Tang

1 Dwarf Angel

1 Clown (your maroon)

1 Goby (your watchman)

1 Blenny

1-2 Wrasse

That sounds good. Wtb an angler tho? I was kinda looking forward to having one of those. They dont have huge tank requirements?

7 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

That sounds good. Wtb an angler tho? I was kinda looking forward to having one of those. They dont have huge tank requirements?

Anglers can eat very large prey as big as them. People generally keep them in a species tank. They should be fed live and can be difficult to keep alive long term. A wartskin stays pretty small but still could eat most nano fish. A 29-30g as the only fish is ideal. 

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
20 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Anglers can eat very large prey as big as them. People generally keep them in a species tank. They should be fed live and can be difficult to keep alive long term. A wartskin stays pretty small but still could eat most nano fish. A 29-30g as the only fish is ideal. 

Is that the same situation with scorpion fish?

26 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Is that the same situation with scorpion fish?

I have never kept a scorp but Reefleeping.com is a great source of information for just about everything. 

Very few tankmates can co-exist with Scorpionfish because most will be considered food. Less commonly, some fish may confuse the Scorpionfish with food of their own. Surgeonfish, Rabbitfish, and even Angelfish may occasionally pester Scorpionfish, mistaking the fish for algae or even sponges. Scorpionfish may also be a problem in a tank with corals. Due to their sedentary lifestyle, it is possible that a Scorpionfish may choose a particular coral as a prime territory and the continued presence of the fish may cause injury or death to the coral.

Full list here: http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-11/hcs3/

image.thumb.png.a97e628a1d311a2ccb3c910bca2b7501.png 

Something like a yellowspotted scoprionfish might work but not sure if the tankmates would pick on it. They are nocturnal and eat live shrimp. They only get 3 inches. 

What about a hawkfish instead? Those guys are pretty cool.

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
42 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Something like a yellowspotted scoprionfish might work but not sure if the tankmates would pick on it. They are nocturnal and eat live shrimp. They only get 3 inches. 

What about a hawkfish instead? Those guys are pretty cool.

I might do a hawkfish, I was considering that. 

Never buy fish for a tank you don't have. If it gets too big for the tank you have now, don't buy it. Too many things can happen between now and a multi-hundred-gallon tank. 

Waspfish are neat, can be trained to eat frozen, and don't get overly large. 

You should probably stock that tank very lightly, so there's less opportunity for something to go wrong while you're away. Also, your mushrooms, if kept properly, should get large and numerous. I wouldn't count on a mushroom box to hold them.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Got some new and very expensive corals in!!! Can’t wait for these to grow out so I can trade or sell some. 

B9467E97-1B4C-4B83-9CCF-61499599E578.jpeg

765E435E-26A9-4A3D-8A76-21A651D18532.jpeg

Chernobyl bounce (already had this one)

93ED5A43-70B8-45C7-8CED-D02865510B99.jpeg

0DD5EEF9-45BF-4D31-A25C-0E6DFA2096A1.jpeg

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

OG bounce (he’s still a little pissed right now, but the bubbles are huge.) 

AFF3A173-3026-4A0A-A3B2-080017B8BC80.jpeg

FA22E4CC-EC89-4EA4-9C3C-140FA1B0CA84.jpeg

Godspawn bounce (I already had this one, and this one doesn’t have big bubbles for some reason unlike the momma)

E9D046D8-D09C-4E9E-B70E-F3E6C15B6211.jpeg

D4DCAA3D-E2B6-4BD6-A81A-DD5AE3C4EA1A.jpeg

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Cornbreds rainbow Jawbreaker (other picture is the insane momma) 

B273217E-5967-4FF0-8BA1-B110D707B661.jpeg

9C4657CE-7970-44E7-A1BB-F980A69D44BE.jpeg

04BAA4C2-F831-4A69-B106-A0F5C60157BE.jpeg

Same strawberry cheesecake mushroom 

BBC51425-2ABD-49BC-9A9E-11C7F36C9D22.jpeg

446AFEF8-8E08-4AF8-8639-8A0E2E50A208.jpeg

Cornbreds Bam Bam mushroom 

4B0F6F5A-110A-4478-A2A7-362C07206BB6.jpeg

D3DFDD4F-A08F-4220-B3D0-1F2DE37A16FD.jpeg

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

So, Im considering trying some acros with this tank, bc of how stable and well my tank has been doing. This smaller 12 gallon tank has been doing great for over 4 months now and going strong. I do 4 percent water changes once a week, and I honestly seem to be doing a lot better with this tank than I was with my larger 29 gallon tank, so Im considering going for acros.

• 1 month later...
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I haven’t made an update in a while, but this update is gonna be a huge one. I may have broke the bank for quite a while. 

Here’s all the new additions

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Large 3 inch candy crush jawbreaker momma. I still waiting on the green to come in. It has a few tiny specks but that’s it for now. The other picture is the momma. 

D3628DD1-9BAC-4BB5-A3B8-88932E77FAA5.jpeg

29EB7296-F62C-49E0-9593-DB1B523ACFE0.jpeg

• Like 2