Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Microscopic Fluval Edge 12g🐟👓

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I finally upgraded. Not yet, but I bought the tank and practically everything I need to start it. I just need water a few other things. It’s quite a big leap from what I currently own. I got an amazing deal on it. It’s a 75 gallon frag tank with a 29 gallon sump. Comes with T5 lights and a really nice stand and a pretty expensive skimmer that was hardly used. It’s a aqua euro USA skimmer. It’s a big one too. Here’s some pictures. I got all of this for $400, which I think is a huge steal. The tank doesn’t leak at all. Has a few scratches, but that’s ok. I’ll be using as a frag tank and to frag corals. 

4E029EDA-A117-4F44-8A94-920E944D1790.jpeg

B730C243-74CB-44AC-BF37-75D7BB23D641.jpeg

734D549C-6042-42F9-AEFC-36DB9C3418F9.jpeg

CDA80A2F-26EC-4AE3-B174-AD29DED0A3FC.jpeg

C58FF7BA-1C56-4F73-9091-B72F42EBAFF6.jpeg

2CF5F28E-4BEA-43AF-B7AD-8CEED3419933.jpeg

015A185B-782C-4EF0-BE7F-49D433188B7A.jpeg

2AEA39E0-EF71-4F9B-9C52-538165B83CE9.jpeg

• Wow 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I also traded one of my momma godspawn mushroom for a really large momma Godzilla bounce mushroom. It has huge bubbles, and it came with like 6 babies, so if anyone wants a Godzilla baby, pm me. I’ll trade or just sell. Here’s the momma, the one circled, and one of the babies. 

00645033-0C95-47DF-A010-B4E913AD3052.png

C68C5C8A-7823-4B38-8627-8F579EE393E2.jpeg

80BD71A8-9D93-4247-B06D-086C574995C2.jpeg

• Like 5
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I have also found a name for this mushy. I have talked to fellow reefers and we can not find an exact ID, so we named it ourselves. It’s dubbed, “The Purple Pill Bounce”. I kinda love some of the colors.

EED20EDB-CD0A-4A7E-8277-570D5B1D73B8.jpeg

2B736097-7EC9-4DEF-896A-7011AD560FDF.jpeg

2AE8126D-AB05-4637-8029-92BC379CDEF2.jpeg

• Like 4
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
9 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Nice frag tank, I thought you were living in a dorm though ?

Yes I still am living in a dorm room. It’s going to stay at my dads place. He said he can keep it there, I also come home every week to every other week. Bc it’s such a large tank, I thought it would be ok to leave it for a week or more and then come back and take care of it. I was going to get an auto feeder as well to keep fish fed. 

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

What do I need to buy for this tank tho? I’ve never owned a tank with a sump, so I’m kinda lost a lot when it comes to this. I have no idea how to work this. The person I bought it from said that it comes with everything I need except a return pump, but I just need to make sure that’s all I need. 

Return pump, heater, and an auto top off (you don't want the pump to run dry while you are at school). You also need a wavemaker/powerhead.

Since you will only be back once a week, I would not bother with filter socks. 

Also new T5 bulbs. They change spectrum over time so you replace them every 12 months-ish to be safe. Is it a 4 or 6 bulb unit? 

A lid if you plan on a wrasse.

• Like 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
43 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Return pump, heater, and an auto top off (you don't want the pump to run dry while you are at school). You also need a wavemaker/powerhead.

Also new T5 bulbs. They change spectrum over time so you replace them every 12 months-ish to be safe. Is it a 4 or 6 bulb unit? 

The reason I wont need an auto top off is bc my dad said he will take care of making sure it has water. The T5s are a 4 bulb unit. Im not planning on a wrasse, I was thinking about just sticking with the fish I currently have and maybe add a baby tang to it. Like a baby yellow tang. It is a very long tank, so it has plenty of room to swim, thats why I think even tho this tank is not like 150 gallons, its still has plenty of room for fish to swim. Do I need a heater in the sump and the display? I was also going to invest in a icecap gyre wavemaker for the tank as well. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

Whats a good return pump that will work for this tank, but also below 60 bucks?

11 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Whats a good return pump that will work for this tank, but also below 60 bucks?

Find a used Sicce 2.0 maybe? They are $80 new

• Like 1
1 hour ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

The reason I wont need an auto top off is bc my dad said he will take care of making sure it has water. The T5s are a 4 bulb unit. Im not planning on a wrasse, I was thinking about just sticking with the fish I currently have and maybe add a baby tang to it. Like a baby yellow tang. It is a very long tank, so it has plenty of room to swim, thats why I think even tho this tank is not like 150 gallons, its still has plenty of room for fish to swim. Do I need a heater in the sump and the display? I was also going to invest in a icecap gyre wavemaker for the tank as well. 

How long is very long? I am guessing it is 4 feet. 

I would do: 2x ATI blue Plus + 2x coral Plus or 2x blue Plus + 1x Purple plus + 1x coral plus - bulbs are going to probably set you back 100 bucks.

The heater goes in the sump... the point of the sump is to hide everything.

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 minute ago, Tamberav said:

How long is very long? I am guessing it is 4 feet. A Tomini tang would fit best.

I would do: 2x ATI blue Plus + 2x coral Plus or 2x blue Plus + 1x Purple plus + 1x coral plus - bulbs are going to probably set you back 100 bucks.

The heater goes in the sump... the point of the sump is to hide everything.

Yea, I havent decided fish yet, Im just guessing for now. I may get a baby blue tang to have for a while and if it gets too large, sell it. I personally know a few people looking for adult blue tangs. The light fixture currently has some bulbs in it, but the guy wasn't sure how long they have been in there. He never used the tank himself, but the bulbs were in the tank while in storage. They work, but im not sure how old they are. So getting new bulbs may be my only option. 

1 minute ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Yea, I havent decided fish yet, Im just guessing for now. I may get a baby blue tang to have for a while and if it gets too large, sell it. I personally know a few people looking for adult blue tangs. The light fixture currently has some bulbs in it, but the guy wasn't sure how long they have been in there. He never used the tank himself, but the bulbs were in the tank while in storage. They work, but im not sure how old they are. So getting new bulbs may be my only option. 

The reason I said wrasse is typically people keep fish that are useful in a frag tank... a pest eater and an algae eater. Such as a sixline and a bristletooth tang like a Tomini or Kole Tang. 

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
16 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

The reason I said wrasse is typically people keep fish that are useful in a frag tank... a pest eater and an algae eater. Such as a sixline and a bristletooth tang like a Tomini or Kole Tang. 

Oh, I was not aware of that. I might get a kole tang then

• Like 3
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
17 hours ago, Tamberav said:

How much gph am I looking for, for a return pump?

• Like 1
5 hours ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

How much gph am I looking for, for a return pump?

I don't know your overflow or drains so no idea... you can add ball valve to dial it back if its too powerful. You also need to take into account how far it has to pump up, most return pumps list head-loss. 

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
11 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

I don't know your overflow or drains so no idea... you can add ball valve to dial it back if its too powerful. You also need to take into account how far it has to pump up, most return pumps list head-loss. 

I have no idea what that means, im sorry. Never owned a sump before.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I have no idea what that means, im sorry. Never owned a sump before.

It means on a return pump... the farther it has to pump up... the more flow it loses. 

• Like 2

That's a really neat upgrade though - congrats on it! Tam's right regarding the fish stocking - in frag tanks, people usually keep algae eaters & pest eaters. Algae eaters like certain tangs, lawnmower blennies or even foxfaces <--- this is risky because foxfaces that are not fed well usually get the munchies for corals, & pest-eaters like reefsafe wrasses. 

Standard CUC like snails or urchins would probably do good too, once the algae pops up. 🤔

If you're keeping any sort of fish though, invest in a lid. Any & all fish can jump. 

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
12 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

That's a really neat upgrade though - congrats on it! Tam's right regarding the fish stocking - in frag tanks, people usually keep algae eaters & pest eaters. Algae eaters like certain tangs, lawnmower blennies or even foxfaces <--- this is risky because foxfaces that are not fed well usually get the munchies for corals, & pest-eaters like reefsafe wrasses. 

Standard CUC like snails or urchins would probably do good too, once the algae pops up. 🤔

If you're keeping any sort of fish though, invest in a lid. Any & all fish can jump. 

The tank I bought was a commercial use tank. It was used in a store at one time. Ive never seen a cover before on a frag tank? I was considering a wrasse, but wrasse seem to like to jump more than any other fish. I will probably get a kole tang, I might consider a foxface. Another question I had tho, which fish should be added first? I would like to still be able to transfer my gold nugget maroon clown and my yellow watchman goby to the tank too, but which fish should be added first to cause less aggresion? Kole tang? Foxface? Or the goby and clown?

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Ill make a list of the fish that I would consider adding to the tank. I will most definitely not be adding all of these fish to my tank. I will just pick like 3 or 4 from the list. But I needed to know yalls opinions on my options. 

-Yellow longnose butterfly fish

-I would really like an angler or scorpionfish in the tank, Ive always wanted one. Ik they wont help with algae or anything, but for decorative purposes.

-Magnificent Foxface

-purple tang

-baby blue tang

-white tail bristoltooth tang

-blue Caribbean tang

-kole yellow eye tang

-maybe a type of squirrelfish

-Niger triggerfish (Ik these can be temperamental, but ive always wanting one, if I got one, it would be a baby and be added last to the tank to lower aggression).

-A red head Solon fairy Wrasse

-Exquisite Fairy Wrasse

-Ornate leopard wrasse

-lawnmower blenny

-blue dot jawfish

-maybe a dwarf lionfish

-maybe some kind of baby puffer

-yellow fin angelfish

Magnificent foxface gets too big but a one spot would be ok. Foxface will probably eat zoa's and mushrooms if you are not here to feed it daily algae sheets or something decent.

Purple tangs get good size and fairly aggressive.

White tails are also pretty mean.

Trigger needs bigger tank.

Any wrasse will jump. Leopard wrasse need sand. A frag tank typically doesn't have sand.

Jawfish absolutely no without a tight fitting lid. Blue dots are prone to bacterial infections. Also need sand.

Blennys will jump.

Longnose are difficult and I would not expect them to eat from an auto feeder.

Honestly half that list isn't appropriate for something you see once a week and some of those fish should be in 180g tanks.

Some also need tock and hiding spots...are you going to have a frag tank or a display tank ?

• Like 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
43 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Magnificent foxface gets too big but a one spot would be ok. Foxface will probably eat zoa's and mushrooms if you are not here to feed it daily algae sheets or something decent.

Purple tangs get good size and fairly aggressive.

White tails are also pretty mean.

Trigger needs bigger tank.

Any wrasse will jump. Leopard wrasse need sand. A frag tank typically doesn't have sand.

Jawfish absolutely no without a tight fitting lid. Blue dots are prone to bacterial infections. Also need sand.

Blennys will jump.

Longnose are difficult and I would not expect them to eat from an auto feeder.

Honestly half that list isn't appropriate for something you see once a week and some of those fish should be in 180g tanks.

Some also need tock and hiding spots...are you going to have a frag tank or a display tank ?

The tank is very long, not super tall. It provides plenty of swimming room for most fish. I was going to include some live rock in the frag to provide hiding spots. Im just going to have a frag tank. I have a nice size mushroom box for my mushrooms, so I dont have to worry about anything harming them. I was also either planning on using an auto feeder, or my dad said he would feed them whenever im not there. Most of these fish I realize normally need a very large, but I was planning on buying them as juveniles and when they get big enough, hopefully I wouldve upgraded by then. If I havent upgraded, I will give away the fish if it gets too big. If a fish is aggressive, I was planning on adding that fish last to lower aggression.