SaltCritters.com

Microscopic Fluval Edge 12g🐟👓

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Oh, those tunicates are cool! I agree that people might want frags of them if you can get frags. Heck, I might be interested. I would, however, be inclined to keep an eye on them and make sure they don't quite grow fast enough to overgrow corals.

Tunicates generally don't do well in aquaria, but I do have one on the back of a rock that's doing just fine, and has grown slightly since I got it. Some of them apparently do pretty well on what they can get in a reef tank. It's just that most don't.

• Like 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 hour ago, Tired said:

Oh, those tunicates are cool! I agree that people might want frags of them if you can get frags. Heck, I might be interested. I would, however, be inclined to keep an eye on them and make sure they don't quite grow fast enough to overgrow corals.

Tunicates generally don't do well in aquaria, but I do have one on the back of a rock that's doing just fine, and has grown slightly since I got it. Some of them apparently do pretty well on what they can get in a reef tank. It's just that most don't.

Yea it’s really weird. Even uniquecorals whom I got the frag from said that the tunicates don’t usually survive, but for some reason these are growing like crazy. I’ll have to make sure that they don’t outgrow the zoas on the frag.

• Like 3
Snow_Phoenix

I think you need to add more live rock (cured) to it. The three pieces you have are quite small and too little for a tank this size. Remember, the biological filtration = live rock. You need it for the beneficial bacteria to grow and thrive. 

Also, I'm a little bit confused - but when you started the tank, did you use TTM? (Tank-transfer-method)? 

Or was it simply a new tank from the get-go - new rock, new sand etc.?

And how are your current parameters like?

That plate dying suddenly is worrisome - LPS won't degrade in strips like that unless there's an issue with the water quality. Also, be wary of New Tank Syndrome. 

• Like 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
6 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

I think you need to add more live rock (cured) to it. The three pieces you have are quite small and too little for a tank this size. Remember, the biological filtration = live rock. You need it for the beneficial bacteria to grow and thrive. 

Also, I'm a little bit confused - but when you started the tank, did you use TTM? (Tank-transfer-method)? 

Or was it simply a new tank from the get-go - new rock, new sand etc.?

And how are your current parameters like?

That plate dying suddenly is worrisome - LPS won't degrade in strips like that unless there's an issue with the water quality. Also, be wary of New Tank Syndrome. 

It was dying in the 29 gallon tank. It was loosing some flesh and I think it’s bc I had it in too much flow. It was fine for a week in the new spot but then it started to degrade. Can you remind me what new tank syndrome is again? I thought it was just going through the diatoms and other phases of a new tank like that? Or do you mean the cycle? I’m fairly certain that I didn’t have very much of a cycle bc I used pre made water from an lfs and live rock that has been curing for quite a while. I also used the filter and media that was in my old tank to help with the process.

I have a total of 4 pieces of live rock and honestly I’m kinda scared to stack it any higher. I got rid of my urchin bc I didn’t want to risk him in such a small tank, but something could still topple the rocks. I would glue the rocks together, but the opening on the top of the tank is very small and it’s quite hard to fit anything in the tank that is bigger than the pieces already in there. 

Yes I did kinda use the tank transfer method, but instead of my old water and the old live rock, I used new water and cured live rock as well as one piece of live rock from my old tank. I did get new sand tho, bc my old sand bed was very dirty. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I just tested the params yesterday after I took some of those pictures. 

Ph-8.3

Ammonia- 0

Nitrites-0

Nitrates- 3.0

Mag- 1300

Alk- It was around 8.5 to 8.8 

Calc- 460, was a bit high, but not horrible. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
8 hours ago, Tired said:

I wonder if they might be partially photosynthetic? I'm fairly sure some tunicates are, and that would help them survive. 

They could be, idk how I could find that out, but if they are that’s a good thing.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Just making a quick update right here, I don’t have any pictures as I’m not home right now, but I just wanted to say that everything is doing great. I notice significant growth from my mushrooms and zoas. Zoas are already starting to encrust onto the rock work. But the thing that is growing the fastest, is those darn tunicates. They have grown so much more since the last picture. They are literally growing onto the sand bed. They don’t seem invasive as the zoas on the same plug are doing fine and the tunicates just grow around them. If this keeps up, I’ll definitely be able to start fragging these things. 

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I updated the first post in the journal so it gives you all details about the tank. I'm gonna really try to do this tank right. I want this to be as successful as possible. I want a thriving reef.

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

I would suggest some gorgs towards the back to help full up the vertical space. It will help visually balance.

Thats a good idea. Ill see if my local LFS has any. Im very fortunate to move to a college that has an LFS nearby that is honestly the best LFS Ive ever seen. They have practically everything you could think of. Ive seen variants of corals at that LFS that ive never seen anywhere else. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Here’s some pictures of the tank and coral. Some of these corals were more open and happy earlier today, but I just fed them a bit ago and they closed up. Also keep in mind that I haven’t had the tank for a good month. So stuff was starting to fall apart, but I am bringing everything back from the edge. Corals are already starting to look better. 

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

The cynarina was on the brink of death, but it’s coming back. It’s much puffier today than it has been in a long time. It also took food happily. 

The scoly has always looked like that

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Hey y’all, just wanted to provide an update and some pictures. I bought 2 new corals a few days ago for the tank. They look amazing in this tank and really add some nice movement to it. I got a nice looking Indo frogspawn for $65. It’s kinda similar to a gold frogspawn. But it’s different looking. It looks much different in my lighting compared to the lighting that it looked like in the other persons tank. I also got a nice long tentacled Goni as well. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

The nem is in the process of tryin to move, so he’s not tied down. I also seem to have some aptasia coming back. I thought I got rid of them all, but it looks like I still have some work to do

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Oh, I also bought the Goni for $35. I’m thinking of going back and buying a nickel sized Deadpool shroom from them too. They were selling it for $65. Which is a steal honestly. It has nice purple streaks as well.

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Hey everyone, I just had a quick question about maxima clams. My local LFS has a ora tank raised maxima clam for sale and Im considering going after it, but I have a bare bottom tank, can you keep a maxima clam in a tank with a bare bottom?

• Like 1

Clams really don't work out well in very small tanks. Aside from the sensitivity to water quality and their need to be fed as babies, once they get older they start using up a lot of calcium and such to build their shells. Keeping them in a little tank is very difficult and can potentially mess things up for all the inhabitants, not just the clam. 

That being said, they like to stick themselves to a rock. If they're in a bare bottom, just put them on top of a ceramic tile, or a rock with a divot carved into it for their base. They'll attach to it. 

• Like 3

+1, I would pass, they are difficult in nano's and it likely won't work out long term. They tend to suck down elements. I also wouldn't trust that light to support one well enough. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Tired said:

Clams really don't work out well in very small tanks. Aside from the sensitivity to water quality and their need to be fed as babies, once they get older they start using up a lot of calcium and such to build their shells. Keeping them in a little tank is very difficult and can potentially mess things up for all the inhabitants, not just the clam. 

That being said, they like to stick themselves to a rock. If they're in a bare bottom, just put them on top of a ceramic tile, or a rock with a divot carved into it for their base. They'll attach to it. 

They don't need sand, and just to correct a bit of a common misconception they also don't rely on feedings when young, they're still 100% photosynthetic.

But yeah, not great for small tanks, they will obliterate your calcium levels and if something goes wrong they can crash even large systems.

Also have to agree with tamberav, they need 250-500 PAR to really do well and prefer whites to blues.

• Like 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
10 hours ago, Tired said:

7 hours ago, Tamberav said:

+1, I would pass, they are difficult in nano's and it likely won't work out long term. They tend to suck down elements. I also wouldn't trust that light to support one well enough. 

3 hours ago, Amphrites said:

They don't need sand, and just to correct a bit of a common misconception they also don't rely on feedings when young, they're still 100% photosynthetic.

But yeah, not great for small tanks, they will obliterate your calcium levels and if something goes wrong they can crash even large systems.

Also have to agree with tamberav, they need 250-500 PAR to really do well and prefer whites to blues.

Thank you all for replying to me, I don't think ill get it then. If I had a larger tank then i might, but i dont want my calcium levels to plummet bc of a clam. Sounds more like a nuisance for me more than something enjoyable for a small tank.

• Like 1