Cultivated Reef

Microscopic Fluval Edge 12g🐟👓

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

1 minute ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

whats the best glue for gluing down coral? like gluing down inside the tank?

I use superglue gel. I buy the cheap stuff from pound land (dollar store), or I use reef putty if the plug is ugly as sin and I can't get the coral off

• Like 1

If you never want it to come off, for any reason, brush the rock you're mounting-to with a toothbrush then superglue on plug/frag, epoxy putty on that super glue, then superglue on that epoxy; then stick it on the rockwork. Be aware, if you do this, you will be able to damn-near lift a 20lb rock out of the water by the frag, so removal will likely require a chisel (ooor bone shears since the epoxy will be brittle/ able to be crushed-away).

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

So, I think I may end up actually putting sand into the tank after all. It makes it much harder to put certain corals into the tank without a sand bed and its extremely hard for me to clean the bottom part of the glass, due to the shape of the tank. My goby also seems kinda pissed at me for not giving him a sand bed. Hes staring at me with a malicious look as im typing this.

• Like 1

Buy a 2-3mm grain and rinse it first... do shallow sand bed... an inch max... and yes you will need to clean it... turkey baster to stir it twice a week and let filter catch it may be the easiest since the tank has a small opening. 

• Like 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
2 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Buy a 2-3mm grain and rinse it first... do shallow sand bed... an inch max... and yes you will need to clean it... turkey baster to stir it twice a week and let filter catch it may be the easiest since the tank has a small opening. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018CLX9Q/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Im guessing this wont work?

It doesn't work the way it claims, where it instantly cycles a tank. At least, I wouldn't be confident it would work. It might help, though. 

As to its suitability for the tank, I honestly don't know. You could look at if people use that stuff with success in reef tanks. 

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 hour ago, Tired said:

It doesn't work the way it claims, where it instantly cycles a tank. At least, I wouldn't be confident it would work. It might help, though. 

As to its suitability for the tank, I honestly don't know. You could look at if people use that stuff with success in reef tanks. 

Ive seen other people do this, plus ive done it too before

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
11 hours ago, Tamberav said:

I would rinse it as it is going to clouds....the grain is kind of small for upkeep/cloudyness. I like the caribsea 'special grade' 1-2mm size.

I dont understand why, but I can not find this sand on amazon? Could you give me a link for it?

It's more expensive on Amazon than Marine Depot or regular supplier.

https://www.marinedepot.com/caribsea-arag-alive-special-grade-reef-sand

Do you have a Petco by you? I also used this (RINSE A LOT!!! Very cloudy if not rinsed) and it was a larger grain and only 5 bucks if you do 'pick up'...  it is 'dry' sand though. It is also made by caribsea. 

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/caribsea-aragonite-aquarium-sand

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Black sand could look really cool, but there seems to be a general consensus that something about many types of black sand is bad for reef tanks. You can read up on it for yourself, I don't remember many details. Something about magnetism, I think? You would probably want to find a brand of black sand that someone has had in a long-term reef tank.

• Like 3
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
Just now, Tired said:

Black sand could look really cool, but there seems to be a general consensus that something about many types of black sand is bad for reef tanks. You can read up on it for yourself, I don't remember many details. Something about magnetism, I think? You would probably want to find a brand of black sand that someone has had in a long-term reef tank.

Ok, ill do that. Never heard of anything wrong with it, but maybe your right.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I have some big orders coming in for new corals as well as other stuff needed for the tank. I cant wait! I won some auctions on ebay from a seller named coralsavers. Ive bought from him before and Ik he has a good reputation. I finally after so long got a long tentacle plate coral, as well as a lot of other goodies. I got a frag of zoas that are called space waste zoas for 6 bucks. I feel like that was a steal on its own. They look very similar to white elephants, which are worth quite a bit. I also got an indo bicolor birdsnest colony coming in, won that for 10 bucks. A frag that is completetly encrusted with what he called techno cyphastrea, for 12 bucks. A chalice frag called the vamp in gold for 8 bucks. A very large orange disco mushroom for 6 bucks. And a ultra rock flower nem for 8 bucks. 

Is Coral Savers shipping from Wisconsin? I see someone by that name post on facebook a lot and temping to buy stuff since they are in-state.

I would stick to aragonite sands only, no coated rocks, no black sand. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
7 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Is Coral Savers shipping from Wisconsin? I see someone by that name post on facebook a lot and temping to buy stuff since they are in-state.

I would stick to aragonite sands only, no coated rocks, no black sand. 

Yep, he is located in Wisconsin. Ik he has a facebook page, but Ive never checked it out before. I just always try to make sure I bid on his auctions on ebay. Hes always auctioning off some really high-end corals and I think that you should check him out. I know you have always been into torches and euphyllia a lot, with every single auction he has, he is always auctioning off some really nice torches and other euphyllia. They are indo torches as well. You could check him out in person if you live close to him, but I would also check out ebay auctions, mainly bc you could get stuff a lot cheaper from the bidding. He does an auction almost weekly. Ill make sure to tell you when his next auctions start up. 

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Corals are in the tank! The new corals from coral saver have finally arrived and they look amazing. The size of these corals are much bigger than I actually thought they were gonna be. The birdsnest colony is a pretty nice size considering I won it for 10 bucks. The long tentacle plate looks amazing too, but its still acclimating to the tank and the tentacles arent as long as they will be. Ill get some pictures once everything gets settled in. The sand also arrived today and wow does it really change how the tank looks. It looks great.