ReefCleaners.org

Banasophia’s Biocube 32 - Return of the DragonReef 🐉

banasophia

57 minutes ago, banasophia said:

First corals and my new bangaii cardinals. I plan to keep two of the cardinals and return/rehome the third once they pair off. 

83596CE7-A5B9-40D8-A034-DD10F5D8CE14.thumb.jpeg.93cab743751c4ae6950be4f029bdba58.jpeg

D7A9F8E1-3C3C-42B1-AD6C-7A857AF076DF.thumb.jpeg.685ae4910939755ac5ab2e1931888302.jpeg

That Digitata looks great!

• Thanks 1

Oh yeah, it was the middle of the night when I did that post last night with my new corals and I forgot to mention how much I love the NanoRox frag collars! First I transferred the digitata to one of the black frag discs that I got with the collars, then I used a tiny dab of glue and placed it in the collar... love the way it blends in... I definitely recommend them!! @NanoRox, thanks for making these!

• Like 4
12 hours ago, banasophia said:

First corals and my new bangaii cardinals. I plan to keep two of the cardinals and return/rehome the third once they pair off. 

83596CE7-A5B9-40D8-A034-DD10F5D8CE14.thumb.jpeg.93cab743751c4ae6950be4f029bdba58.jpeg

D7A9F8E1-3C3C-42B1-AD6C-7A857AF076DF.thumb.jpeg.685ae4910939755ac5ab2e1931888302.jpeg

Nice!!! The colors are kinda Christmas like seems very appropriate 🎄🎄

• Like 2
6 hours ago, banasophia said:

Oh yeah, it was the middle of the night when I did that post last night with my new corals and I forgot to mention how much I love the NanoRox frag collars! First I transferred the digitata to one of the black frag discs that I got with the collars, then I used a tiny dab of glue and placed it in the collar... love the way it blends in... I definitely recommend them!! @NanoRox, thanks for making these!

Glad you like them.  I really appreciate you giving them a try, Tank is looking awesome!

• Like 1

I am excited to see how this tank progresses. I have been growing various sps corals with pretty standard biocube setup for the past 2 years. I found that a lot of corals I tried either didn’t grow and/or had drab colors, while others (red montipora, mint pavona) did really well. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, LeoB said:

I am excited to see how this tank progresses. I have been growing various sps corals with pretty standard biocube setup for the past 2 years. I found that a lot of corals I tried either didn’t grow and/or had drab colors, while others (red montipora, mint pavona) did really well. 

Thanks! I’d love to see some pics!! 🙏 Do you have a journal? If not feel free to post here. 

I increased my flow with my pump upgrade and my gyre, and I’ll be trying the Red Sea Reef Care Program as soon as my delivery arrives, trying to see if I can make it happen. I know from @Jackal227’s Biocube 16, along with a couple others, that the stock LEDs have successfully grown SPS for some people. 

I’ll be renting a PAR meter at some point from BRS to see what I’m working with, but I’m going to try to get my water dialed in first and then look more closely at the PAR. I started with Nutri-Seawater to get the benefit of the nitrifying bacteria, and the corals seem to like it... now I’m transitioning to Tropic Marin Reef Pro, and I’ll be dosing the Red Sea Reef Care Program additives. 

Interestingly, I also got a salifert dissolved oxygen test, because I was curious what my oxygen is running in my tanks since they have the lids. My Biocube 16 was 6, this tank was only 4 so I added my skimmer and I’ll retest today (it’s supposed to be greater than or equal to 6). I think this could be especially important for me to monitor because of the lids, the fact that I use distilled water, and the fact I’ll be using a salt that doesn’t need a long mixing time so there will be less initial aeration from mixing it.

Oh and a mint pavona and red monti-cap are actually in my stocking plan, so I’m glad to hear those were successful! In fact I ordered a mint pavona along with some Berghia nudibranchs for my Biocube 16 from Salty Underground... it arrives Tuesday, looks small but pretty from the pic online! 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Looking good!

Thanks! So far so good, but it’s a diatom covered mess right now except for the spots my lone ninja star hits... that one lone snail does a fairly impressive job, but it will be so satisfying once I get my proper cleanup crew in there and it gets all cleaned up.

The holidays turned out to be a bit of a rough time to start a new tank, due to being outside my normal routine, and because lots of companies have not been shipping. I had to wait two weeks for my shipments from Reef Cleaners (with my cleanup crew) and Salty Underground (with Berghias for the Biocube 16 plus a mint pavona for this tank, to qualify for free shipping while getting a coral I wanted)... I’ll be so relieved to get both deliveries next week!!

• Like 1
4 hours ago, banasophia said:

Thanks! So far so good, but it’s a diatom covered mess right now except for the spots my lone ninja star hits... that one lone snail does a fairly impressive job, but it will be so satisfying once I get my proper cleanup crew in there and it gets all cleaned up.

The holidays turned out to be a bit of a rough time to start a new tank, due to being outside my normal routine, and because lots of companies have not been shipping. I had to wait two weeks for my shipments from Reef Cleaners (with my cleanup crew) and Salty Underground (with Berghias for the Biocube 16 plus a mint pavona for this tank, to qualify for free shipping while getting a coral I wanted)... I’ll be so relieved to get both deliveries next week!!

I shipped you something special today.  keep a look out. 

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
3 hours ago, NanoRox said:

I shipped you something special today.  keep a look out. 

Yayyy!!!  I am so excited to get it! 🤗 Oh yeah, and I need to post a reminder on IG about my giveaway - it’s tomorrow! 

1 hour ago, LeoB said:

I am gonna try to make a journal one of these days!

You should - it’s nice to have a place to post pics and keep track of your progress!! It can be as simple or as involved as you want it to be. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

Well the DragonReef is coming along... I finally got my cleanup crew delivery yesterday that shipped out on Monday but hit some weather delays. The good news is that the emerald crab (for the 16) and the majority of the snails seem to have made it. The SPS corals are hanging in there... I need to figure out dosing ASAP though!! It’s a lot to learn! 

The most exciting thing right now is testing out the prototype for the new NanoRox Mag Collars. You may have seen @NanoRox’s recent post, and I wanted to mention it here as well. I’ve had the idea for quite some time now that it would be cool to come up with a system for attaching corals to the scape in a way that would allow them to be easily moved around. In fact, I actually got my Nuvo 10 to use for testing out ideas, but I lost my momentum and put the project on the back burner, and wondered if I’d ever have an opportunity to carry out my idea.  

When I got my order of NanoRox Frag Collars a few weeks ago, I totally loved them as is, and I immediately knew that he was the one that might be able to implement the idea. And the cool thing was that I already knew him from here on Nano-Reef, and I saw on his website that he even included a way to submit new ideas, so I hoped he would be open to it. 

The good news is, he liked the idea, and he is already bringing it to fruition!! I’m so amazed that in only a few weeks he has already worked out a way to incorporate a magnet into his frag collars, and he created a piece that holds a base magnet that you glue to the scape. I’m really happy with how they turned out - the Mag Collars allow your frag plug to blend in AND you can easily adjust the position and location of the corals. Check out the video I put together yesterday: 

• Like 3
  • Wow 3

I love this new coral I picked up the other day. Can anyone tell me what it is? The LFS got it from a local hobbyist and they weren’t sure. 

63B1E8F8-4AE4-46C5-A2FE-0E4E3C67E90D.thumb.jpeg.179586e3c521a0b53585343f69ceca6a.jpeg

E4DF9B33-E59F-4FEC-B0C5-39033A9052A1.thumb.jpeg.73cf7e2b8dce141df03db00062464e83.jpeg

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

I did the same thing in my thread using rubber-coated magnets actually XD I just used the magnet itself as a frag plug lol

This looks much better ^^

No way!! That’s cool - great minds think alike?! 🤗 How’s it working for you? 

38 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

Looks like it may be a green Digi?

Yeah maybe... a friend of mine was saying the growth tips look more like acro though?? Was just looking at hydnophora but it doesn’t seem to be the same polyp shape... 

17 minutes ago, banasophia said:

No way!! That’s cool - great minds think alike?! 😆🤗 How’s it working for you? 

Yeah maybe... a friend of mine was saying the growth tips look more like acro though?? Was just looking at hydnophora but it doesn’t seem to be the same polyp shape... 

green slimmer maybe 🤗 it’s definitely an accropora 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Sancho said:

green slimmer maybe 🤗 it’s definitely an accropora 

Hmmm... I don’t think it’s a green slimer... that LFS has a green slimer that they are growing out a bit before they frag it for me and it looks different. Whatever this one is, I like it and it was only $20 so that’s cool. Just gotta keep it alive and growing. 🤞🤞🤞

I think it's current-growth pattern is deceptive, it doesn't appear to have the terminal-type tips I'd expect from acropora or anacropora, nor does it have the polyps or corralites I'd expect to see -although looking at it on my computer instead of my phone that top-branch does look allot like acropora, guess we'll see as it grows out.

The magnets worked well, but I overestimated the required strength and ended up making things harder on myself than necessary.

• Like 1

Acropora humulus or florida look similar, the combination of really flat and recessed corralites with that monti-like polyp shape is throwing me for quite-the-loop. It looks like whatever species booberry is, but green lol.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

I think it's current-growth pattern is deceptive, it doesn't appear to have the terminal-type tips I'd expect from acropora or anacropora, nor does it have the polyps or corralites I'd expect to see -although looking at it on my computer instead of my phone that top-branch does look allot like acropora, guess we'll see as it grows out.

The magnets worked well, but I overestimated the required strength and ended up making things harder on myself than necessary.

Yes, I’ll be happy if the coral grows for me so we can figure it out! 

Your tank is awesome! I love cylindrical tanks... will have to read through your journal!!

Getting just the right magnet strength is what Duane at @NanoRox is working on right now, as a matter of fact... of course we want it so the corals are firmly attached, but so the whole scape won’t move when trying to detach them. I think the prototype he sent me is pretty close. 

• Like 1
  • banasophia changed the title to Banasophia’s Biocube 32 - Return of the DragonReef 🐉