Pod Your Reef

Banasophia’s Biocube 32 - Return of the DragonReef 🐉

banasophia

banasophia

Hmmm… this is weird… if you try to browse the TOTM posts the photos are obscured by tags so you can’t easily see what the tank looks like to decide if you want to read more about it. @Christopher Marks … is it supposed to do this? Any way to change it? 

CA6C0589-A3B8-476C-A7D7-301C3D08C036.thumb.png.3eeff78aca0d8b575c0ac8b6b0b9a86f.png

• 3 weeks later...

Stanley, the Midas blenny, chilling in his new favorite spot in the tank tonight. He looks pink during the Biocube “beauty lights” phase.

DCF73B48-9625-4984-AA13-50D7DB3EF999.thumb.jpeg.c04efe2f1ccb565fb0290cdf0aadcafb.jpeg

• Like 2
On 6/9/2023 at 12:10 PM, banasophia said:

Hmmm… this is weird… if you try to browse the TOTM posts the photos are obscured by tags so you can’t easily see what the tank looks like to decide if you want to read more about it. @Christopher Marks … is it supposed to do this? Any way to change it? 

CA6C0589-A3B8-476C-A7D7-301C3D08C036.thumb.png.3eeff78aca0d8b575c0ac8b6b0b9a86f.png

Some amazing tanks that year 😉 

• Haha 1

I love this tank. The cyphastrea wall, the Capricornis colony. As well as Stanley! It’s all so fantastic. 

So I’m inclined to say don’t change a thing… but I know what it’s like, sometimes you need to switch it up a bit. Can’t wait to see what you come up with! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Sharbuckle said:

I love this tank. The cyphastrea wall, the Capricornis colony. As well as Stanley! It’s all so fantastic. 

So I’m inclined to say don’t change a thing… but I know what it’s like, sometimes you need to switch it up a bit. Can’t wait to see what you come up with! 

Thanks so much! If only I could do something about the encrusting coral blob at the top of the scape! Also, my clownfish live back behind the scape and I never see them, which is a big bummer to me… I really like to see my fish. 

I have to think about how to scape it for the reboot so the clownfish don’t hide in the back. 

5 hours ago, Sharbuckle said:

Some amazing tanks that year 😉 

Haha… for sure!

I miss having TOTMs… fun to strive for!!

1 hour ago, banasophia said:

Haha… for sure!

I miss having TOTMs… fun to strive for!!

I think it created a busier forum too. People really wanted to update their threads in order to have a shot at TOTM 

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, Sharbuckle said:

I think it created a busier forum too. People really wanted to update their threads in order to have a shot at TOTM 

Agree 100%

• 3 weeks later...

Well I moved some corals over from the Studio 12 and the emerald crabs haven’t eaten them up, so that’s good and I’m enjoying the tank so much more with the new additions. Not sure you can tell from the pic but I added 2 different types of gorgonian, two clumps of cloves, and one frag of knopia.

I still really hate the coral blob, but I’m hoping that once the digitatas grow in on either side of it, it won’t be as prominent. 

IMG_6633.thumb.jpeg.0bb9edb80566c25f700e2e34b6d7acc5.jpeg

IMG_6634.thumb.jpeg.3ffd672a4b9c198760db46d8338142a9.jpeg

IMG_6635.thumb.jpeg.bd26591bd0c54f4cdbd3684e4ff9888c.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Well the tank did look better with the added cloves and knopia, but I just can’t love it because of the encrusting coral blob. So I ordered a 20 lb box of Caribsea Liferock, some new OceanDirect sand, and I’ll pick up some BioSpira and NutriSeawater and redo the tank in the next week or so. 

People always ask me to send them pics of the tank and I hate to send them… I can’t take pride in the tank because that one coral just ruins the whole aesthetic for me. 

Plus I’m hoping that with a new scape and lower flow pump that the clownfish will come out and be seen… they are so pretty but always hiding behind the scape.

1 hour ago, debbeach13 said:

You may have restless tank syndrome! The tank looks great to me. 

😂😂🤣 haha maybe… and thank you… but really I’ve just never been happy with this scape and the corals I chose. I’ll probably just redo it mostly with a scape I like better, frags from the Studio 12, and a lower flow pump and less powerheads. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I broke down my Biocube 32 today… keeping my clownfish pair and took my other fish to my LFS to be rehomed. I’ll be setting up a brand new Biocube 32 this week, but in the meantime, glad I still have the old Biocube 16 on hand to keep my clownfish for an few days until the new setup is ready. 

IMG_8053.thumb.jpeg.1e35c38515bd81024a51c63f8958139d.jpeg

• Sad 1

I am sure the new tank will be amazing; your tanks always are. 

This tank was one of my favorites. I have a real soft spot for any nano or pico under 20 gallons. That show just how wonderful it is to turn a little box of water into a thriving reef. TOTM 2019 will always be an inspiration. 

• Thanks 1
On 10/29/2023 at 6:18 AM, debbeach13 said:

I am sure the new tank will be amazing; your tanks always are. 

This tank was one of my favorites. I have a real soft spot for any nano or pico under 20 gallons. That show just how wonderful it is to turn a little box of water into a thriving reef. TOTM 2019 will always be an inspiration. 

Thanks so much, Deb. I’ve really been debating whether to restart a Biocube 16 or 32… I especially loved the 16 myself, but my daughter is hoping for the 32 so we have room for more fish. I’ll probably go with the 32 since I think it will fit the space on the stand better. But honestly, to me, a smaller tank is just so nice and easy. 

• Like 1
  • banasophia changed the title to Banasophia’s Biocube 32 - Return of the DragonReef 🐉
banasophia

IMG_8597.thumb.jpeg.52d40c77890b4a2f03e81bebf12fa8c3.jpeg

Getting excited for a new start! I ordered a new Biocube 32 back in October, but things got busy with my new job so the tank has been sitting… dormant… waiting.

Now I think it’s finally time. I’ve given it a lot of thought, and I’ve decided to try to recreate my Biocube 16, but in a a bigger tank to give me more room for coral growth and additional livestock. But the question is… will there be dragons???

Maybe just a dragonet…

IMG_8595.thumb.jpeg.da6670ef824f73449822e38846d74c1c.jpeg

IMG_8596.thumb.jpeg.7ffc51e8f32bd4d2388251123bb44f0d.jpeg

• Like 2