Top Shelf Aquatics

Official Lifegard Aquatics Crystal (AIO) Aquarium Club!!

ReefahBarra84

• 2 weeks later...

This thread got me to order a 24g.  The box had a dent in the top corner so I opened it expecting exactly this... 

F861EF3C-901F-444A-A6E5-0D436875A985.thumb.jpeg.746993c1dc908daa264124a457be00f1.jpeg

The replacement is on its way so i’m using the broken tank to measure stuff. So what skimmer would fit this? The chambers are super small. 2.5 inches wide. The tunze 9001 is exactly 2.5” but I think it might fit too snug and the cup wont come off for cleaning. 

• Sad 1
  • 3 weeks later...
TryingSaltwater
On 1/29/2020 at 6:37 PM, mlivvy said:

This thread got me to order a 24g.  The box had a dent in the top corner so I opened it expecting exactly this... 

F861EF3C-901F-444A-A6E5-0D436875A985.thumb.jpeg.746993c1dc908daa264124a457be00f1.jpeg

The replacement is on its way so i’m using the broken tank to measure stuff. So what skimmer would fit this? The chambers are super small. 2.5 inches wide. The tunze 9001 is exactly 2.5” but I think it might fit too snug and the cup wont come off for cleaning. 

I just ordered mine today. Praying this doesn't happen.

• 2 weeks later...
The Rainy Day Aquarium
On 1/29/2020 at 5:37 PM, mlivvy said:

Maybe something like a reef glass protein skimmer would work? They are rated up to 30 gallons. 

24 minutes ago, The Rainy Day Aquarium said:

@clownfish14 Looks great! (We need to start a sub thread within this thread for us 4.1 owners 😉 🤓)

Add me to the list! I’m going to move/upgrade my janky Old School Pico contest tank to my 4.1 soon. Just bought the MJ 606 for it. Hoping I don’t have issues with the overflow like @clownfish14 had. I should probably check out yours tank and see what you did. 

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, TatorTaco said:

I'm rocking the 4.1 too!

Yes...the pest 4.1!  

Did you have any issue using the MJ 606? Could the overflow keep up with the pump on full power? 

23 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

Yes...the pest 4.1!  

Did you have any issue using the MJ 606? Could the overflow keep up with the pump on full power? 

I can't recall to be honest.  If you send me a message this weekend I'll test it out.  I took off the flare nozzle (I can't remember why at the moment) so the water pushes straight out from the tubing.  I've turned mine down to keep it from blasting out of the tank.  

• Thanks 1

Looking forward to officially joining the group. I’m currently between the 4.1 and the 7.4 gal for the 365 day challenge. Dimensions of the 4.1 are now available in my Journal since I could not find information on this anywhere. 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Gravity said:

Looking forward to officially joining the group. I’m currently between the 4.1 and the 7.4 gal for the 365 day challenge. Dimensions of the 4.1 are now available in my Journal since I could not find information on this anywhere. 

Excellent! Just commented on your page. 

• Like 1
On 2/26/2020 at 10:41 AM, SeaFurn said:

Yes...the pest 4.1!  

Just checked...this pump and stock return nozzle only works on the lowest setting. Otherwise, it blows water over the top front of the tank and drains the back reservoir. 

I don’t have a lot of experience fiddling with this stuff, but that’s my conclusion after making a huge mess. 

50 minutes ago, TatorTaco said:

Just checked...this pump and stock return nozzle only works on the lowest setting. Otherwise, it blows water over the top front of the tank and drains the back reservoir. 

I don’t have a lot of experience fiddling with this stuff, but that’s my conclusion after making a huge mess. 

Oh geez...sorry about the huge mess.  Thanks for checking this. I think that back wall is glass.  I wonder if there's a way to make the slits in the weir wider without breaking it.

9 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

Oh geez...sorry about the huge mess.  Thanks for checking this. I think that back wall is glass.  I wonder if there's a way to make the slits in the weir wider without breaking it.

Eh, no biggie. It was an easy experiment and easy clean up. Maybe if I put a different flare nozzle or the smallest RFG available I’d have different results. The flex/bend part won’t bend to aim the return lengthwise on the tank, and I think that’d make a huge difference in results. 

2 hours ago, TatorTaco said:

Eh, no biggie. It was an easy experiment and easy clean up. Maybe if I put a different flare nozzle or the smallest RFG available I’d have different results. The flex/bend part won’t bend to aim the return lengthwise on the tank, and I think that’d make a huge difference in results. 

I went online and found some loc line parts that will accomplish just what your saying. I guess i’ll Just wait and test it all out myself when my pump arrives and then decide what to do. 

Also, I did have a thought after my last post about making the slits in the weir bigger.  Now I’m thinking that might not be necessary at all and I can just use that bottom hole with the strainer cover to get more water into the back chambers faster. Duh. Will test that out too. 

The Rainy Day Aquarium
16 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

I went online and found some loc line parts that will accomplish just what your saying. I guess i’ll Just wait and test it all out myself when my pump arrives and then decide what to do. 

Also, I did have a thought after my last post about making the slits in the weir bigger.  Now I’m thinking that might not be necessary at all and I can just use that bottom hole with the strainer cover to get more water into the back chambers faster. Duh. Will test that out too. 

That's what I have set up and I have no problem with flow/getting enough water into the filtration area. 

On 2/28/2020 at 10:49 PM, SeaFurn said:

What did you end up doing for your return line?

On 2/28/2020 at 10:49 PM, SeaFurn said:

If you remember, I'd love a parts list that works for you.  It didn't occur to me to remove that bottom hole either!  Ha HA. 

The Rainy Day Aquarium
On 3/3/2020 at 10:38 PM, Mkodom1 said:

Any suggestions for  stand for these tanks? I saw a YouTube video of a guy using an Ikea cabinet. Anything decent pre built you can buy?

If you are near a Hobby Lobby or some other furniture store they might have one? Local classifieds are always a good choice too for budget minded stands. Other than that I have resorted to making my own stands.

• 1 month later...

I'm thinking of getting one of these, either the 9.9 with rear chamber or the 14 side filter. Crazy thing, in Canada there is a $100 CAD difference in price for 4 gallons more capacity. I'll have to think on that one.

I've love to hear what you love, what you hate. I was originally looking at a plain glass tank with the fiji box insert for 10 gallons but that would be the same price (or maybe even more depending on what kinds of import duties I would have to pay) as the 9.9 so seems like a smart move to look at the Lifeguard tanks which are on amazon.ca. 

23 minutes ago, mipster said:

I'm thinking of getting one of these, either the 9.9 with rear chamber or the 14 side filter. Crazy thing, in Canada there is a $100 CAD difference in price for 4 gallons more capacity. I'll have to think on that one.

I've love to hear what you love, what you hate. I was originally looking at a plain glass tank with the fiji box insert for 10 gallons but that would be the same price (or maybe even more depending on what kinds of import duties I would have to pay) as the 9.9 so seems like a smart move to look at the Lifeguard tanks which are on amazon.ca. 

I have the 7.4 peninsula. It is a decent tank but not the best I have had. For the price it is ok. The foam mat provided is so thin i doubt it would do anything. I also Ended up replacing the pump as the stock pump was super noisy. The slats in the overflow grate are fairly small and therefore you are pretty limited in the amount of GPH you can put through. It’s a decent aquarium but not spectacular. 

• Like 1