ReefCleaners.org

Official Lifegard Aquatics Crystal (AIO) Aquarium Club!!

ReefahBarra84

ReefahBarra84

Aloha!!! 

Well, it seems that there was enough interest  to make an official Lifegard Aquatics Crystal (All-in-one) Aquarium thread!  The purpose of this thread is for all of us to come together, discuss, modify and just collaborate in general about our awesome, yet underrated Aquariums. LIFEGARD Aquatics has been around for quite some time, and while their main focus is on Commercial Aquaculture, they were cool enough to make nano-tanks for the hobby!  I will also create links directly to everyone's personal tank journals as well! 

Even though I just ordered the 24.09 AIO, I'm going to begin to link people's tanks and get this party started! 

I know some of you have expressed your frustrations with lack of options for modifications, custom caddies, etc. I will be personally reaching out to INTANK about making many of the mods and gadgets they make for all the other brands, for us as well! 

First things first. The following is a breakdown of the (AIO) tanks that Lifegard Aquatics currently makes for the hobby ;

The "Peninsula" (AlO) Style 

R460003.thumb.jpg.baf4f438774fa3e98f0f5425dc78a4c8.jpg

3.8 Gallon CRYSTAL Aquarium with Built-In Side Filter (#R460003) by Lifegard Aquatics

7.43 Gallon CRYSTAL Aquarium with Built-In Side Filter (#R460002) by Lifegard Aquatics

14.26 Gallon CRYSTAL Aquarium with Built-In Side Filter (#R460001) by Lifegard Aquatics

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The "Standard"  (AIO) Style

R460007.thumb.jpg.2a4852d8cd024f6a48ba1ce354fe0acd.jpg

4.14 Gallon CRYSTAL Aquarium with Built-In Back Filter (#R460007) by Lifegard Aquatics

9.98 Gallon CRYSTAL Aquarium with Built-In Back Filter (#R460006) by Lifegard Aquatics

24.09 Gallon CRYSTAL Aquarium with Built-In Back Filter (#R460005) by Lifegard Aquatics

• Thanks 2
ReefahBarra84

Okay, so here's what I could dig up as far as existing active Lifegard tank Aquarium journals ;

Lifegard Aquatics Crystal AIO 4.1 Gallon Journals 

Lifegard Aquatics Crystal AIO 3.8 Gallon "Peninsula" Journals

Lifegard Aquatics Crystal AIO  14.2 Gallon "Peninsula" Journals

Turns out, we're a small bunch at this point!

I know I'm missing some, so if anyone knows of anyone I'm missing, please let me know! 

These tanks are awesome, but just not super popular yet.  Let's get this group going!!!

Thanks for getting the ball rolling.  My LFS just started carrying these and I am very impressed.  I plan to get a couple of the smaller ones to start as they will be perfect for my smaller killifish.  I have some thoughts for pico reefs as well.  I really like my green barred gobies and they were very active and visible in my 2.5 gallon bowl but they don’t show up well in my IM 10 - I see one of the smaller tanks for them.  The LFS set one up to display an anglerfish - a perfect idea.

• Thanks 1
ReefahBarra84

Yea, I'm looking for one of the smaller ones too actually.  Was thinking about doing a rfa tank with sexy shrimp and some corals.

ReefahBarra84
11 hours ago, ReefahBarra84 said:

Okay, so here's what I could dig up as far as existing active Lifegard tank Aquarium journals ;

Lifegard Aquatics Crystal AIO 4.1 Gallon Journals 

Lifegard Aquatics Crystal AIO 3.8 Gallon "Peninsula" Journals

Lifegard Aquatics Crystal AIO  14.2 Gallon "Peninsula" Journals

Turns out, we're a small bunch at this point!

I know I'm missing some, so if anyone knows of anyone I'm missing, please let me know! 

These tanks are awesome, but just not super popular yet.  Let's get this group going!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I just ordered a 9.8 from Amazon. It should be here on Wednesday. I was originally set on a Waterbox cube 10, but I just couldn’t find a light I wanted for it. I really didn’t want a pendant light since the yak will be across from our low slung sofa and I don’t want to look up into lights. So I was really looking for a bar light, but most were just too long. I found a great review on the Current USA Orbit light and it sounded perfect except for one thing - too long for the Waterbox 10 gallon!  That 20 gal would have worked (probably), but I don’t want a 20. 

i remembered that the other day I had seen another aio, low iron glass tank that looked really good. Not a cube, but hey. So I did a history search and there was the Lifeguard Aquatics 9.8 Crystal. AAANNDD it is 18” long, just what I need!!!  Now that I really think about it, it will be easier to scape this tank with slightly more length.  So I’ve got a “starfire” AIO and the lights I want for less than just the Waterbox 20 cube would be. Happy camper. 

My only “concern” is the pump. I used a Quiet One when I was in the hobby 18 years ago. It wasn’t very quiet. 😂 I’m hoping they’ve improved. Does anyone have experience with it and did you have to upgrade your pump? If I do I’ll just use it for making SW. also, has anyone split the output or is there enough current from the one? I really would prefer to avoid power heads if possible. 

I’m planning a very shallow sand bed, just enough to cover the bottom, some nice live rock, some softies (we just found a great frag place close by) and some lps. Looking to get a colorful, non-burrowing goby and some shrimp. And maybe eventually a BTA with a Perc. 

Im excited to start this nano. The smallest tank I’ve ever done was a 29 and the largest was a 200. I don’t have the oomph for that anymore, so little and awesome it is. Im looking forward to hearing about and seeing some cool tanks! 

I was super disappointed in my return pump. Like...I replaced it the second I turned it on. Ended up with a Cobalt MJ 606 turned all the way down, but mine is on the 4.14G. 

• 1 month later...
The Rainy Day Aquarium

Yeah +1 with replacing the return pump. Mine occasionally grinds like a blender but when it is working and happy it's quiet. I was looking at the Eheim CompactON 300 or the Sicce Syncra Nano as potential return pump replacements. The filter area on the smaller tanks are...well....small haha so choices are limited a bit. Also, depending on what coral or flow pattern you want, I would recommend looking into a different nozzle for the output. 

• Like 1
The Rainy Day Aquarium
On 10/8/2019 at 4:28 PM, Reefkid88 said:

Are the false walls in these really see-thru ?  

Yes, the back panel is a heavily tinted glass. I have a Cobalt Neo-Therm heater and I can see the lights though the glass but I can't see the water moving through the filtration or anything if that makes sense. I kind of like it. If you were to make a mini fuge in the back it might not be the best as the light would spill into the main display area. 

• Thanks 1
On 8/12/2019 at 7:18 PM, Oldfishwife said:

I used a Quiet One when I was in the hobby 18 years ago. It wasn’t very quiet. 😂

For posterity...

18 years ago that would've been an Italian made Sicce "Pro" model being sold under the Quiet One brand with a 3-year warranty.  

Even Sicce claimed it was their most silent pump.

Since then (in keeping with the consolidation our industry experienced as a whole) Lifeguard has had the pump cloned and now it's Made in China.  Same design.  Same warranty.

So the quiet one is an awesome pump at a truly great price. But even an awesome pump can be noisy if it's broken or mis-installed, which would be the case if it's making noise like you described.

For reference, I ran a model 2200 for my return when I started around 11 years ago that was made in Italy and it still runs perfectly silently today.  during that time frame I also upgraded my system to a model 3000 after I added a second display tank. That model was made in China and was equally silent as the 2200.  I did need to replace the 3000 under warranty right about at the three-year mark, but it just stopped working after maintenance – it still never made any noise.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We need to keep this thread going! I got a 7.4 side and im really liking it. My sand should get here soon and the I can fill it up. My plan is mostly oddball LPS without any main rock structure. I am contemplating fish or not, If I do fish it will be either a coral croucher (my favorite option so far), a pair or trio of firecracker trimma gobies (maybe a little easier to feed?), or a pygmy perchlet. Lots of inverts like shrimps, a clam and a few crabs. Maybe a sea apple or flame scallop. I have an instagram for the tank @xdub4314. I would love to see some other 7 gals : )

• Like 1
ReefahBarra84
On 12/13/2019 at 6:45 PM, Xdub4314 said:

We need to keep this thread going! I got a 7.4 side and im really liking it. My sand should get here soon and the I can fill it up. My plan is mostly oddball LPS without any main rock structure. I am contemplating fish or not, If I do fish it will be either a coral croucher (my favorite option so far), a pair or trio of firecracker trimma gobies (maybe a little easier to feed?), or a pygmy perchlet. Lots of inverts like shrimps, a clam and a few crabs. Maybe a sea apple or flame scallop. I have an instagram for the tank @xdub4314. I would love to see some other 7 gals : )

Oh ! Guess who's back? After a brief hiatus, I've been zeroing in on the lifegard 14 gallon peninsula. I was just at my lfs, and I saw their entire Crystal aio in person. Man , they're built so well.  Good silicone lines, and the rear chamber wall is smoked glass. Real good build quality, from what I saw.  I did pick up a nuvo 20, which is still boxed up. Might be ditching soon. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Just starting out in the hobby and picked up the lifegard crystal 24. I’m very excitied to start. My plan is some fish, soft lps and maybe a sps or two. Rocks arriving today and will start to aquascape. I’ll send in pix. What’s my best bet for a light and power head on a budget. Thank

I purchased the 9.98 Lifegard. Main competitor was the Nuvo...

Since I am getting back into reefing, I was an old timer and I knew, I don't want to pay for many items I will be replacing. So for me, it was a very cheap tank with back sump (AIO), so looks very nice. Negative was that I just bought a custom screen top for jumpers because I am not a DIY. Once I added the screen, price was very close to the Nuvo.

I am surprised that I don't hear more about this line of tanks, because it is very competitive priced...

Anyway, what can you recommend for a skimmer?

I am looking at Innovative "Marine Nuvoskim DC Protein Skimmer - Universal". Hopefully, this will fit inside the back. What are your thoughts?

Update:

Innovative "Marine Nuvoskim DC Protein Skimmer - Universal" - to big for my sump.

Innovative Marine BioSkim DC AIO Nano Protein Skimmer Universal - this is  great skimmer and price $50. Fits great. Very hard to find a skimmer that fits in this size sump. This skimmer works great. Years ago I had a Tunze skimmer and had to do a lot of adjustments. This skimmer is awesome. It is a tight fit into my Lifegard sump AIO, but it does fit tight. I recommend putting it into the 2nd chamber. Had to figure this out. The first compartment is the overfill chamber and I had a sponge in the 2nd chamber, and the skimmer in the 3rd compartment. However, for ATO to work properly, I found it better to put skimmer in the 2nd chamber. Really works well.

Decided to get a Tunze 3152 ATO, I am averaging about 1.5 liter water evaporation on my 9.98 gallon tank. Wow! That means that even 2 (1.5) water liter bottles only last 2 days.

Edited by seldin
update on info

Starting my Crystal 24g. So far so good. Pump is a little noisy so I might be replacing it soon. My plan is to do a mixed  reef. Water, temp and salinity are all set and I’ll be ordering two clown fish to cycle this week. 
using  the OM-10 wavemaker. 
and just ordered the orbit marine pro 18-24. 

image.jpg

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...