inTank Media Baskets

Official Lifegard Aquatics Crystal (AIO) Aquarium Club!!

ReefahBarra84

Randall S Simpson

Two I added a while back I forgot to add, both did not get a bath due to there picky nature.  TSA Emerald City Montipora and TSA Megachrome Montipora.

I've added about 5-7 more small snails and some more tiny brittle starfish.

TSA Emerald City Montipora.jpg

TSA Megachrome Montipora.jpg

Randall S Simpson

Added in the last 2 pieces I have ready yesterday, I will be adding another once it is large enough to get a good frag.  Plus I'll be moving some Zoas around until I find the ones I like the best under the light level I decide on.

I might be cursing myself here but this is the best start to a tank I can recall, I saw my first signs of a tan bacteria yesterday.  Nothing to worry about yet, but I will be keeping an eye on it.

Did not dip the Micro due to its small size.

Lady Bug Micromussa amakusensis

Tropic Thunder Montipora

Lady Bug Micromussa amakusensis.jpg

Tropic Thunder Montipora.jpg

Randall S Simpson

Better photo of one of the Trimma tevegae.

Tank when it was first filled with water August 14, 2013.

First Coral added on 28 Aug, 2013 Radioactive Dragon Eye Zoa and today 9 Sept, 2013.

At least 3 of the bristle starfish moved into the filter intake sponge.

Lastly as the tank looks this morning 30 Sept, 2013.  32ish days from the first coral added.  No loses yet but 2 don't look happy.  Sadly I have went into a migraine cycle and can not provide the required care to baby them, just have to be happy I have extras.

PLEASE DO NOT TRY THIS METHOD IF YOU DON'T HAVE REEFING EXPERIENCE, I did not go the best route or the safest route and I have 6+ other reef tanks to pull frags from.  Had I tried this method as a guide a few years ago I would have lost 90% of the corals, and had an algae covered mess.

Trimma tevegae1.jpg

Marco Rock.jpg

Radioactive Dragon Eye Zoa.jpg

Radioactive Dragon Eye Zoa1.jpg

Brittle Starfish1.jpg

Bottom 10g1.jpg

• 1 month later...
Randall S Simpson

Been a while since my last update (my health issues flared up), as of today my nitrates are 21.2 ppm with phosphates at .21 ppm.  I have been unable to do my normal water changes and am about 2 behind so it makes perfect sense.  I've lost 4 frag pieces all SPS of course, and I've added some more.

Here is an overview and a closeup of the Goni's and Blasto's.

Added a Pederson's Cleaner Shrimp (Ancylomenes pedersoni) he is doing great so far, he picked a chalace frag I put on the bottom with the plans to mount it in a few days but it is now his station.

Better photo of one of the Trimmas.

4 Nov 23.jpg

Goni's 4 Nov 23.jpg

Blasto merletti's 4 Nov 23.jpg

Ancylomenes pedersoni1.jpg

Trimma tevegae3.jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
Randall S Simpson

As with every stable tank I have they end up with frag racks everywhere!  The new one is no exception, they still go to bed early (trying to reduce the ugly phase as much as possible), maybe 4 hours of 40% light a day now.  I'm just starting to see the browns popping up, a lot longer "clean" than my usual setups.  Here is the frag rack taken with a flash.

Frag Rack.jpg

Randall S Simpson

That round rock is a Christmas Tree Worm rock, best I could do with the lights off using a flash.  I actually need to turn it around there are more worms on the other side but more water flow the way it is.  So what is best for the rock and me are in conflict 🙂

IMG_0040.jpg

IMG_0039.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
Randall S Simpson

Still learning how to use the iPhone 15 Pro's camera but this is probably the best shot I've taken so far.  A new blasto merletti, nice and happy...I did just reseed the tank with 1/2 a jar of EcoPods the night before.

The camera has a lot of potential if I can work it all out.

IMG_0043.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

After some failed ideas elsewhere, looks like I am setting up my 7.4 peninsula up in my classroom at the start of the new year. It is going to start as a "whatever I have laying around" build and may swap or buy things to help later.

Lifegard 7.4g Peninsula - Plugged back wall

8" Reefbrite Lumi Lite Pro Actinic

Hydros x2

- Temp Sensor (backup to Inkbird

- Water Level Sensor (ATO)

- ATO pump

- MAYBE use another pump as return (stock quite one 400 - 103gph vs  Hydros micro pump 74gph)

Quite One 400 (see above possible swap)

Aqueon 50w heater x2

Inkbird heater controller.

Only thing I need is rock and sand, unless I go BB again.

Then hope I can get a student to 3d print me a floss tray? Does anyone have anything for that yet?

No idea after that. I am bouncing between focusing on mushrooms OR RFAs and having a few other things spread around. 

Anyone have any extra tips other than plugging the back wall? I bought this tank two years ago right before an unexpected move so never got to run it...

I am terrible about updates, so don't expect much.

The Rainy Day Aquarium
1 hour ago, Hasted said:

Does anyone have anything for that yet?

InTank makes quality media baskets for this tank, if you want to go that route. 

I left the bottom screen on, but I think it's personal preference and how you want the water flowing through your filter media.

I would recommend getting something like a Sicce Syncra nano pump for the return or even the new AI Axis pumps, the stock pumps can get pretty noisy. 

Randall S Simpson

I would highly recommend replacing the stock pump (or at least looking up how to turn it up to there "higher" model, same pump just a switch flipped somewhere) with something else, the Tunze 5024_040_A is a good option, I run 2 in most of my smaller tanks.

If you are going the 2 heater/controller route you might want to consider Innovative Marines new 30W heater it comes with a controller and is pricey but very stable. 

Once you are 80% sure you are going to set things up get the rock and mix the salt with a pump/heater and start the cycle in a plastic bucket in the dark somewhere out of the way.

Remember RFAs will put you in a box, no fish, anemone proofing, ect.  Where softies gives you a lot more freedom and would allow some LPS if you wanted a few.  Some of the $50-100 mushrooms now a days are just amazing. 

In-tank makes some great products if you don't like the included sponges.

4 hours ago, Randall S Simpson said:

I would highly recommend replacing the stock pump (or at least looking up how to turn it up to there "higher" model, same pump just a switch flipped somewhere) with something else, the Tunze 5024_040_A is a good option, I run 2 in most of my smaller tanks.

If you are going the 2 heater/controller route you might want to consider Innovative Marines new 30W heater it comes with a controller and is pricey but very stable. 

Once you are 80% sure you are going to set things up get the rock and mix the salt with a pump/heater and start the cycle in a plastic bucket in the dark somewhere out of the way.

Remember RFAs will put you in a box, no fish, anemone proofing, ect.  Where softies gives you a lot more freedom and would allow some LPS if you wanted a few.  Some of the $50-100 mushrooms now a days are just amazing. 

For pump, I have a few options laying around. I have a few smaller Sicces and thr Hydros Micro (only 74 gph though) I could hook up to the drive port on my Hydros x2. 

I already have the Inkbird and two spare heaters, though. I DO like this heater now that I've looked into it. I actually may snag it for my "main" 15g I have and move that Cobalt heater over! Thanks for that suggestion!

I wish I had been cooking live rock OR saved that one beautiful piece of tonga branch I had when I broke down my two tanks (80g & 120g) before moving. I am going to be reaching out to the locals for a clean piece of Live rock this week. I also have some media in the back of my 15g that has been with me for ~3 years. I definitely don't want to start with completely sterile dry rock.

I agree with anemones putting me in a bind. This is a tank for my classroom, so not too worried. I am sure some of my students would appreciate the softies more than RFAs, though. 

7 hours ago, The Rainy Day Aquarium said:

InTank makes quality media baskets for this tank, if you want to go that route. 

I would recommend getting something like a Sicce Syncra nano pump for the return or even the new AI Axis pumps, the stock pumps can get pretty noisy. 

Ah! I should have checked InTank first! I just assumed this was a smaller known tank and nothing available. Speaking of which, what's with the prices of this tank these days?? I got mine new for $65!

I'd love an Axis, but would get it for my main first. This is the secondary. Haha. I do have 3-5 Sicces ranging from 0.5 and the 2, gotta see what works. 

I appreciate all the responses! 

I have decided to start looking for a "new" light on Marketplace. Thinking either a Kessil 160we or Prime. I'd love a few others (12" AI Blades), but those seem to be the cheapest used options currently. 

The Rainy Day Aquarium
3 hours ago, Hasted said:

Ah! I should have checked InTank first! I just assumed this was a smaller known tank and nothing available. Speaking of which, what's with the prices of this tank these days?? I got mine new for $65!

Yeah they have most sizes available. If you can’t find one though, I’ve made several media baskets and other misc. things for people too lmk if you need one and I can hook you up. 

I got my 4.1 for $35 from Marine Depot back in the day. Now they’re over $100 at most places, crazy. 

I can recommend the blades if you ever want to upgrade in the future. I have three 12” fixtures over my UNS 30A; I like them a lot. 

• Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, The Rainy Day Aquarium said:

Yeah they have most sizes available. If you can’t find one though, I’ve made several media baskets and other misc. things for people too lmk if you need one and I can hook you up. 

I got my 4.1 for $35 from Marine Depot back in the day. Now they’re over $100 at most places, crazy. 

I can recommend the blades if you ever want to upgrade in the future. I have three 12” fixtures over my UNS 30A; I like them a lot. 

I love the sleek look of the Primes, but the price is up there for 3! I'd probably land on 2 if so.

I will check on filter stuff after work today!

• 3 weeks later...
colormegone

I just got my 8.3 AIO LG tank in the mail today and it looks great. Collecting parts now so I can get it started. I guess I'm in the LG club now. lol

• Like 1
The Rainy Day Aquarium
2 hours ago, colormegone said:

I just got my 8.3 AIO LG tank in the mail today and it looks great. Collecting parts now so I can get it started. I guess I'm in the LG club now. lol

CF2C0C02-E6C1-4BC1-A9D4-C9E940EC40A0.thumb.jpeg.72b51c6146388cc8c84104fdd23f3708.jpeg

• Haha 2
  • 3 weeks later...
Randall S Simpson

Spent a little money this holidays getting 3 lids made to replace the DIY ones I did, they came out about $85 each with the holiday discount and quantity discount.  They work very well for me.  Also added ATOs to all 3 of my 10g tanks.  

With my odd light schedule, about 4 hours @60%, the Tweety Bird Goni has taken on an odd color.  Actual color not the camera adjusting it or anything.  Looks happy and healthy otherwise.

My Ancylomenes pedersoni shrimp is doing great in there but I kind of spoil em.  I tweezer feed one shrimp or bloodworm 5 or so times a week plus the broadcast feedings.  I see em digging in the corals all the time for scraps.

Lid.jpg

Tweety Bird Goniopora1.jpg

JF Cry Baby Zoa - Ancylomenes pedersoni - TSA Merlot Merletti Blastomussa - Marvin the Martian Zoa.jpg

• Like 1
Randall S Simpson

https://kreativereefer.com/ made the lid, we had about 15 e-mails back and forth making sure all the measurements were perfect and there is about 1/8" or less play, slightly larger and it would not fit!  The only downside is the material reflects white light, not so much with the blues, but I use a 10K range so I get more reflection.  Not a big deal and I really like them.

• Like 1
colormegone
On 1/17/2024 at 1:30 PM, colormegone said:

Ok... I'm collecting all my parts and have my sand, Marco rock, salt, Dr. Tims start up stuff and more coming.....

I have not figured out what the Low-Profile Strainer is for on my 8.3 LG tank? What and why is it there? Nothing but some filter floss will be used in the AIO sump. I'm purdy sure I should use the plug that came with the tank instead on the Strainer. No instructions as to what it is used for came with the tank. Thanks

Randall S Simpson

I use an In-tank basket in the first slot along with the bottom strainer running to a custom cut bio brick on the bottom, the top has filter floss.  This way I have a slightly better flow if I fall behind replacing my filter floss when it gets clogged.  I'm ranning them both ways and prefer having the strainer running straight into media I want the most water to hit, you get the flow from above and the side.

colormegone

Is your strainer 1" from the bottom?  Once I add my sand it will cover most if not all of the hole. I think I'll just plug it and forget it. Thanks

Randall S Simpson

Most are at the sand line, not being covered but touching.  One is 1/4" covered, I need to remove some of the sand the bed is just too deep.

I've tried both ways and just prefer the strainer, personal preference really.