Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Official Lifegard Aquatics Crystal (AIO) Aquarium Club!!

ReefahBarra84

Bringing this back!

Thinking of changing my 14.2 LG peninsula to a reef from freshwater.  I shut it down since I could never get the overflow to work right and always ended up with a protein shimmer/oil slick look on the surface.

What light is everyone using?  Planning to make a very simple equipment list.

I've already upgraded the return pump and need to drill the weir/overglow out some.  I need that to be 100% fixed before going the salt route to prevent overflows.  

I had similar oil slick on the surface issue with my 10gal. I fixed it by making the weir slits wider and pointing the return nozzle upwards to break the surface tension.

I'm using the Maxspect Jump LED. It has a wider spread than AI Prime and works well.

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking of getting one of these. Anyone have a diamond bit they recommend to use widening the weir?  I want to upgrade the pump as well.  Thanks in advance!  

20 hours ago, DCUEVAS74 said:

I was thinking of getting one of these. Anyone have a diamond bit they recommend to use widening the weir?  I want to upgrade the pump as well.  Thanks in advance!  

I used a Dremel with the diamond bit attachment.

• 4 weeks later...
Randall S Simpson

Since I'm adding a few things to the pico I figured it would be time for an update.  Yes, yes...my glass is dirty, I just can not bring myself to shave off that hard earned coralline algae.  Sadly the rock anemones caught the tail spot blenny and everyone in the tanks took turns eating him alive 😞.  Needless to say the rock anemones were removed.  

I love the In-tank basket, was a bit pricey but it is very nice.  I cut a standard 2.5 gallon glass top and glued a cut black back strip, and added a Hygger 25W heater (at the time it was the only adjustable heater that would fit on the market, now there are a ton).

Also added a gravity feed ATO (google "Auto Top Off Water Filler Aquarium Mini ATO System") that will get you in the right direction.  Neat little item until you forget it is still hanging there and you start doing a water change and R/O water starts poring in.

I lost 2 of the sexy shrimp for reasons unknown, I now have 4 females and 1 male.  They all seem healthy, just added 3 greenbanded gobies and they are all playing well so far.  I did have to move the big Duncan they just would not leave it alone. 

I got a mini carpet anemone from a coral show today, the guy said it was full size just under 2", we shall see.

Here is how the tank looks tonight.

IMG_0472.jpg

IMG_0473.jpg

IMG_0478.jpg

IMG_0481.jpg

IMG_0482.jpg

• Like 1
Randall S Simpson

Here is an older photo of the smaller clam.  I have not gotten a good photo of the larger one, it is actually a nice pink under blue lights, my current lights are 10K or so, much better for my eyes.

IMG_0386.jpg

• Like 2

Hey guy/gals I am new to this forum, not new to reefing. But I have a question for anyone with a 4.1. Is there anyone running a filter sock in this tank? I want to run one, but i haven't seen an option that look like it will fit. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The Rainy Day Aquarium
4 hours ago, Kmyers said:

Hey guy/gals I am new to this forum, not new to reefing. But I have a question for anyone with a 4.1. Is there anyone running a filter sock in this tank? I want to run one, but i haven't seen an option that look like it will fit. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome :welcome:

I have not seen any socks that would fit/are made for the 4.1.

There is always the DIY route if your heart is set on using a filter sock, though I ended up making my own acrylic media basket for myself and a few folk on the forum here (which I'd be happy to hook you up with one if you wanted to go the media basket route instead).

There is also one of our site sponsors, @inTank that makes quality media baskets for the 4.1 as well!

• Like 1
The Rainy Day Aquarium
On 3/14/2022 at 12:14 PM, Randall S Simpson said:

Here is an older photo of the smaller clam.  I have not gotten a good photo of the larger one, it is actually a nice pink under blue lights, my current lights are 10K or so, much better for my eyes.

Nice. Clams are where it's at for sure.

Do you find your Alk or Ca being depleted very much since adding them?

• Like 1
Randall S Simpson

I don't really test anything in my older pico tanks, there is no point.  a 25-50% water change once a week would make tracking reading very misleading.  At the same time I want them healthy but not growing 🙂.  Might run a few befow water change then a few hours after just to see how much changing the water is doing in that small an area.  

For that matter due to the gobies and now the 2 spot blenny, I feed them an expensive diet 2-3 times a day.

I either have a very smart blenny or a very stupid one.  Only time will tell.

IMG_0483.jpg

IMG_0484.jpg

• Haha 1
Randall S Simpson
16 hours ago, Kmyers said:

I have never seen one pre-made but you could always DIY something.  Although my personal option would be to DIY or buy a similar in-tank basket and just put a perfectly cut piece of filter floss over the top intake.  Pull it out when it get dirty and throw it out cut and replace with a new piece.  One sheet of filter floss would last a very long time.  A filter sock would take too long to get dirty and sit in the tank allowing all that food/whatnot to breakdown.  I do use chemi-pure elite for 4 months before swapping bags and I have bio bricks of a few types in mine.  Just make sure your filter media is not slowing down in water level to you heater.  If you have not already replaced that stupid pump or atleast turn it all the way up.  The 4.1g comes with the larger pump just turned all the way down...The smallest Tunze pump is great, I have 2 in my tank, one in the back and one in the main display.

On 3/15/2022 at 11:59 PM, Chowder's Reef said:

Welcome :welcome:

I have not seen any socks that would fit/are made for the 4.1.

There is always the DIY route if your heart is set on using a filter sock, though I ended up making my own acrylic media basket for myself and a few folk on the forum here (which I'd be happy to hook you up with one if you wanted to go the media basket route instead).

There is also one of our site sponsors, @inTank that makes quality media baskets for the 4.1 as well!

I feel like filter socks trap silt from the sand quicker. That was my only reasoning behind wanting one. The sand i have said not since it but it seems very ( silty ) if that's a word Lol But it was a partial bag my LFS gave me since I only needed such a small amount. So I cant complain too much.

I have seen your media baskets while creeping around on here. I'm definitely interested. The UV reactive acrylic on top is a cool touch. Is there a place I can order one?

• Like 1
On 3/16/2022 at 11:36 AM, Randall S Simpson said:

I have never seen one pre-made but you could always DIY something.  Although my personal option would be to DIY or buy a similar in-tank basket and just put a perfectly cut piece of filter floss over the top intake.  Pull it out when it get dirty and throw it out cut and replace with a new piece.  One sheet of filter floss would last a very long time.  A filter sock would take too long to get dirty and sit in the tank allowing all that food/whatnot to breakdown.  I do use chemi-pure elite for 4 months before swapping bags and I have bio bricks of a few types in mine.  Just make sure your filter media is not slowing down in water level to you heater.  If you have not already replaced that stupid pump or atleast turn it all the way up.  The 4.1g comes with the larger pump just turned all the way down...The smallest Tunze pump is great, I have 2 in my tank, one in the back and one in the main display.

Yeah I'm running filter floss now. And yes I never even installed the stock pump. I had a 160 gph pump from another tank that I put in it. And yes I agree, Chemi-pure is the way to go.

• Like 1
The Rainy Day Aquarium
2 hours ago, Kmyers said:

I feel like filter socks trap silt from the sand quicker. That was my only reasoning behind wanting one. The sand i have said not since it but it seems very ( silty ) if that's a word Lol But it was a partial bag my LFS gave me since I only needed such a small amount. So I cant complain too much.

I have seen your media baskets while creeping around on here. I'm definitely interested. The UV reactive acrylic on top is a cool touch. Is there a place I can order one?

That makes sense! Loose sand and particulates blowing around in a display can be a pain though for sure. 

I'll DM you about a media basket, I have a few others I need to make so I can squeeze another request in.

• 2 weeks later...
Randall S Simpson

Finally got around to testing my Alk/Ca the last water change (maybe 10-15%) was last weekend.  My Alk this afternoon was 8.5 and my Ca was 532, so the clams are not draining my Ca like I thought they should.

I got in 3 neat little crabs last month or so for my other 4.1g, assuming the description is accurate they should be about dime size for a carapace and total of 1" in size.  One arm is a fan, the other side has a traditional claw.  Next time I feed them I'll try and get a better macro camera ready, one is always in the same spot fanning away when I feed the tank.

Petrolisthes galathinus

IMG_0496.jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
Randall S Simpson

With Jason Fox's last sale it seemed like the perfect time to start cycling my next project.  

I have been watching and reading a lot of different methods of cycling tanks and came up with a hybrid method I wanted to give it a go.  I've always had good success with the live sand route so that was an easy choice, I've liked Algaebarn so I got some Turbostart and Nitrocycle and some ECO pods to add about 5 days in.  Since I had some Xport-NO3 brick + Brightwell microbacter7 I cut the brink with a chop saw to fit it in my In-Tank 1st compartment stand on the bottom.  Followed the directions for the Lifegard R60004 10g adding the sand, Turbostart and Nitrocycle.  Let the cut piece of brick soak for 24+ hours per the instructions also added some Hygger Bio filter media to the 24 hour soak.  Added in a Seachem Tidal Power 35 HOB Filter mainly for testing.  Heater is a Hygger 50W.

5 Cerith snails plus a few live brine shrimp were added to get the cycle starting.  Took about 10 days for get everything down to zeros.

I'll try and get photos today, along with the rest of the equipment.

I'm going to try a few goals with this tank, ALL corals will be from Jason Fox (already done with that part thanks to the sale).  No hermit crabs!  Only snails and filter feeding crabs.  Main reason for the tank is Barnacle Blennies!  And I got a pair of Talbot's Damselfish.  See just how fast I can cycle a tank and test out some of the videos suggestions for skipping the 4 months and 12 month recycling of tanks.  Right now I'm only using 1 of the 2 lights at 20% for 4 hours and have 2 species of macro algae.

Randall S Simpson

Just finished adding on the 2nd light and added the protein skimmer this morning.  Should be everything for a while, needs to cycle for a few weeks before I bring in the blennies.  See if I have to go through the ugly phases or not.

Random stuff I forgot, replaced the original pump with a Tunze 5024.040 compact water pump (they used to be cheap but I guess the secret got out, great nano pumps), added a random flow generator from Vivid Creative Aquatics)  Went with 2 Asta 20 LED lights.  I have all the DIY stuff for a mesh lid I'll be working on.

The 

BioSkim DC™ Nano AIO Protein Skimmer will fit into the R60004 just like it was built for it.  NO extra room front to back.  I already had an In-Tank basket never tried it in the 1st slot.  Fit well in the 2nd.  I am not getting any actual skimming from it yet, just clean water and lots of bubbles.  I should be able to adjust it.

IMG_0506.jpg

IMG_0503.jpg

IMG_0505.jpg

IMG_0504.jpg

• Like 1
Randall S Simpson

Added in the cheap ATO thingie, now just need to watch/adjust it for the next month to get it dialed in right.  Top view with the glass temp pieces until I get the mesh top done.  Maybe a solid few hours when I get them.  Finally a better full view of the tank.

IMG_0510.jpg

IMG_0511.jpg

IMG_0509.jpg

Reefkid88

Is that the new Icecap gravity ATO ? I've heard mixed reviews on it and kinda have been waiting to see if anyone here tries it out first 🤣

Randall S Simpson

It was not an Icecap ATO, I think they just bought the rights to it slapped Icecap on it and called it a day.  I have 3 set up right now and for any tank under 10g they are great since any replacement of that small of a refill with RODI water would not hurt anything.  Now on the 2 4g tanks, any more than 1/2 a bottle and I'd call it a fail.  That only happens when I don't have then setup right (annoying to initially get the 2 tubes cut currectly) or I forgot to remove them before a water change.

So they can work well but don't put a giant bottle on there.  If you don't want it all dumped in at once, I'd just use a smaller bottle.  My 2 4g tank's bottles are both around half empty right now.  So they are both working as intended.

Randall S Simpson
On 5/3/2022 at 8:37 AM, Reefkid88 said:

Is that the new Icecap gravity ATO ? I've heard mixed reviews on it and kinda have been waiting to see if anyone here tries it out first 🤣

One of my 4g tanks just went off, 5-6 glugs, just about perfect imo.  However, I've still had to get up and manually stop them before or they just empty themselves.  Recut the tubing and hope I got it right this time.  I do believe if you got it cut and setup correctly and kept the tubing clean it would work great.

Some clam photos from this morning.

The newest currently mad at me since I moved it around this morning and am trying to get it to attach to a better rock.  Next is the middle one, it is tiny and only a few months in the tank.  Oldest one is last and looking great.  Had it a long time.

IMG_0514.jpg

IMG_0513.jpg

IMG_0512.jpg

Reefkid88

Wait a 4 gallon bottle ?! I am picking one up from a local reefer and may use it during the initial cycle and maturing process but will eventually get a actual ato once I start adding frags. 

Randall S Simpson

Mistyped...4g AIO tank, about a .5 litre ATO bottle, so maybe a few drinks out of a bottle that size. 🙂

Edited it so it should sound better.

Randall S Simpson
2 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

Wait a 4 gallon bottle ?! I am picking one up from a local reefer and may use it during the initial cycle and maturing process but will eventually get a actual ato once I start adding frags. 

Let me know what ATO you end up using I have 4 types right now and with all my nano/pico tanks being sumpless I'm finding all kinds of problems with getting the sensors to work in a manner I'm happy with.  A snail will misalign the magnets and set an alarm off, I don't get enough evaporation 48 hour after my weekly maintance so I get an alarm, any algae/snail/blenny/gody/limpet/whatever sits on the sensor and blocks the reflection setting the alarm off.  I could go on.