Official Lifegard Aquatics Crystal (AIO) Aquarium Club!!

ReefahBarra84

Randall S Simpson

Here is an example using the gravity feed ATO as I have understood the instructions.  Yesterday it was working just fine, water was a hair off my evaporative line so it let in a few burps of water like it is suppose too.  When I just went to plant a new piece of macro algae to hopefully get growing in there I saw this...the black tape is my top limit, it should never be above that.  It had dumped 1/2 of the gravity feed bottle all in.  Now my bottle is only 16.9oz so 7.5oz of RODI water going into 4ish gallons is not likely to kill or even bother anything.  But if I had a larger bottle or smaller tank it could have been bad.

Basically if you use these things just make sure you spend some time and get your tubing cut correctly and you use a bottle of the right size.  2.5g maybe go down a bottle size while 10g you could go higher.  Either way I would not use a gravity feed system on larger tanks than 10-15g.  The cheap one from Reef Breeders Prism ATO has one huge problem, it is TOO tall.  You need 2-3" of waterline to make it work and nano/pico I've never had that.  The next step up the Exo ATO just had too many fail saves built into it, everytime I walk by the room the dumb snails have misaligned the magnets and set the alarm off or the sensor is dirty or it has not turned on in over two days.  Just too many alarms.  I have the Tunze nano waiting on me next.  Crosses finger!

IMG_0518.jpg

Reefkid88

The more and more I read reviews on these things,I am starting to think against them. 

Another thing with the Prism ATO's sensor is the low and MINIMUM sensors are almost an inch between eachother. Causing a HUGE inscrese in salinity compared to basicaly any other ato on the market. 

Randall S Simpson

My spouse stole my Prism for her freshwater tank and just loves it....

Reefkid88

It may be perfect for freshwater,but saltwater,eh. I haven't seen too many reviews and the ones I have seen are iffy. 

Randall S Simpson
11 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

The more and more I read reviews on these things,I am starting to think against them. 

Another thing with the Prism ATO's sensor is the low and MINIMUM sensors are almost an inch between eachother. Causing a HUGE inscrese in salinity compared to basicaly any other ato on the market. 

Oh, another do as I say not what I'm doing, you can angle the Prism ATO's sensor so that the 3" vertical is more like a diagonal sensor and find that sweet spot.  But again I am using something as it was never intended and thus removing some of the safe guards.  On her fresh water it could dump that entire 5g and no one in the tank would care and it could always hold 5 more gallons.  The pump and/or sensor would be the only possible damage.  And why I moved it off the reef tank 😀.

• 2 weeks later...
Randall S Simpson

One of the crabs finally decided to come out and I got some better photos.   I'm still waiting for reefcleaners to get more in, I like them enough to put them in multiple tanks.

I also added a small clean up crew to my newest 10g, all snails this time.  I'll see if I have better luck without the hermit crabs, they seem to eat alot of soft corals for me.  I've already lost 2-3 snails to the floor....

I'm still running my lights at 20% for 4 hours a day, I'm about to raise it to 40% and see how that goes.  I only have the two Talbot's Damsels + the clean-up crew in there and they get 2 drops of Reef Nutrition a day.  So far no algae or slimes.

It took me a few days to finish off my top and I could do so much better now that I figured out what I'm supposed to do, all those videos online really don't help much.  Getting the spline in place was really hard, I have to use a lot more force than I wanted too.  My heat gun was not hot enough or I was using the wrong screen material but it never tightened up like the videos said it would.  Overall I'm happy with it and plan to make more.  I would recommend anyone planning on making more than 2-3 of these to buy a power miter or something similar.

IMG_0515.jpg

IMG_0526.jpg

IMG_0527.jpg