Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Matt's Nuvo 30L

whisnantrider

• 1 month later...
whisnantrider

SO.... I have been debating the idea of taking the insert out and drilling the tank for the extra real estate. Or changing to a 40 breeder setup. I REALLY like the set up how it is but I would love the extra room plus the cleaner look of being able to hide equipment. I'm just not sure if its worth the effort for the extra 4" of tank space. The issue i have with the 40 breeder is the rim! I feel like the rim would bug the crap outta me. I have had a few custom tank quotes done and I don't think I'm ready to spend that right now. What do you guys think?

mitten_reef
8 minutes ago, whisnantrider said:

SO.... I have been debating the idea of taking the insert out and drilling the tank for the extra real estate. Or changing to a 40 breeder setup. I REALLY like the set up how it is but I would love the extra room plus the cleaner look of being able to hide equipment. I'm just not sure if its worth the effort for the extra 4" of tank space. The issue i have with the 40 breeder is the rim! I feel like the rim would bug the crap outta me. I have had a few custom tank quotes done and I don't think I'm ready to spend that right now. What do you guys think?

Check if any of your LFS can order a seapora tank. They have a 48G rimless, that’s essentially an oversized 40breeder. Or waterbox freshwater (3620) tank has similar one too. 

• Like 1
whisnantrider
2 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Check if any of your LFS can order a seapora tank. They have a 48G rimless, that’s essentially an oversized 40breeder. Or waterbox freshwater tank has similar one too. 

They can! I actually asked them about the 80 but then realized 4ft wont fit without modifying the floating shelves in the wall. I will check that tank out it sounds similar to the Aquamaxx 48 That is apparently impossible to find.

• Like 1
whisnantrider
On 5/15/2020 at 4:49 PM, mitten_reef said:

Check if any of your LFS can order a seapora tank. They have a 48G rimless, that’s essentially an oversized 40breeder. Or waterbox freshwater (3620) tank has similar one too. 

So my LFS Can get the Seapora 48 Crystal which is the 36x18x18 rimless for $229 BUT we cant find anything showing wether or not it is tempered. He said looking at the price and how thickness of the glass he's afraid it will be tempered. So no drilly drilly....😩 He suggests the 57 edge they offer, he has one setup in the store, nice but the overflow is enormous. 

I did find that Fijicube now has a new 57 EXT tank though, 36x24x16. Perfect dimensions for a bad ass lagoon tank but its also much more expensive. Straight up i want this tank! I sent them an email asking for the Tank, sump, stand package price since its not listed. I’m expecting $1450ish. I don’t know if I can convince the wife on that though.  May end up gutting and drilling the nuvo. 

• Like 1
whisnantrider

The results are in! The My Naturia tank I linked above can be drilled!!! I can use my exact stand and light mount setup as it is now and the size would be 36x16x16 with a FijiCube over flow and Sump. Total cost of this with the plumbing and everything would be around $850.  Just drilling the tank I have with the same sump and overflow is around $500, but that’s likely a fair amount of work to remove the insert and a smaller tank

• Like 2
whisnantrider
On 5/27/2020 at 11:34 AM, mitten_reef said:

any verdict on the tank change?  

Funny you should ask. I gave up on it because i just couldn’t make up my mind. Then last night my LFS emails me saying another customer just picked up a new tank and was asking if he new anyone that would be interested in his old tank, an Innovative Marine SR 60 with the APS stand. Of coarse I was interested, called the guy and i’m supposed to go look at it tonigt.  It is a complete setup, pumps, skimmer, lights, everything. He told me he was looking to get $400-$450 for everything Except the lights. He wanted more for those and said they were AI Primes. Im not sure on all of the particulars for the equipment. He was at work so our conversation was brief. 

• Wow 2
whisnantrider

Side note, the ghost Skimmer is in and seems to be working fine. 30 min in and its got a nice foam going. Its not dead silent but it is very quiet, no noisier than any of the other nano skimmers i have used. Not sure why these had such bad reviews. Then again the Icecap nano skimmer i have is the worst skimmer I've ever owned and people seem to love those. It doesn't skim well at all, its THE loudest Nano skimmer I've ever used, the build quality is very poor, there was no way to disassemble the pump for cleaning, the pump finally just died after a few months. It wasn't even worth my time to deal with coralvue for a replacement because i wasn't going to use that POS any more and would feel bad selling it to someone. Sorry rant over lol.

mitten_reef
8 minutes ago, whisnantrider said:

an Innovative Marine SR 60 with the APS stand. Of coarse I was interested, called the guy and i’m supposed to go look at it tonigt.  It is a complete setup, pumps, skimmer, lights, everything. He told me he was looking to get $400-$450 for everything Except the lights.

sounds like an awesome deal if everything is in good/great conditions. 

• Thanks 1
whisnantrider

Fingers crossed... i have wanted a SR60 in the past but they are EXPENSIVE, even used, so it never really worked out. 

whisnantrider

So, this setup will be the same as the 30l with the gray and the top but I am building a control board in he stand this time. I have a week off of work coming up so don’t expect much until June 13thish. 

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
whisnantrider
On 3/21/2021 at 2:23 PM, Daniel92481 said:

Nice tanks! Any updates here? 

Sorry I have been away for training so I have not seen the SR-60 since February to update this. I will as soon as I get home though. Hopefully Friday! 

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...
ThecitydatREEDS

This is very late to this thread but i have saved it because i love the way ur tank turned out with the grey. Could you tell me how you did that? Spray paint I'm assuming but looks awesome i have the same brown n black but love the way urs looks! Thanks in advance!