Cultivated Reef

Hannah’s tank journal

Hannahhhh

I added a new clownfish today and it’s fighting with my one. How long should I let them fight it out before I give up separate them? Will they be able to do lasting damage to each other in 24 hours?

How far apart in size are they? You usually want to get a juvenile who's much, much smaller than your current clown as getting another female could mean constant turf-wars.
If there's pairing going on they likely won't lip-lock and spin as much or at all, I'd look for severe fin-damage, badly-shredded-lips, or gillplate damage as a sign things are going south.
It could take weeks for them to pair-up if they're compatible, if they're both percs or occy's the likelihood of them killing each other is low but still within reason, when exactly it could happen would be up in the air. If you have an acclimation box or something you have a couple options, either put the more aggressive in the box, or put the new addition in there and see if they warm up to each other.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Amphrites said:

How far apart in size are they? You usually want to get a juvenile who's much, much smaller than your current clown as getting another female could mean constant turf-wars.
If there's pairing going on they likely won't lip-lock and spin as much or at all, I'd look for severe fin-damage, badly-shredded-lips, or gillplate damage as a sign things are going south.
It could take weeks for them to pair-up if they're compatible, if they're both percs or occy's the likelihood of them killing each other is low but still within reason, when exactly it could happen would be up in the air. If you have an acclimation box or something you have a couple options, either put the more aggressive in the box, or put the new addition in there and see if they warm up to each other.

Unfortunately they’re not too far apart in size. They seem to have stopped bickering as the lights dimmed, hopefully they stay ok. If not, I can stick one in the octo tank at least until the octo arrives. 

• Like 3
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
8 hours ago, Hannahhhh said:

Unfortunately they’re not too far apart in size. They seem to have stopped bickering as the lights dimmed, hopefully they stay ok. If not, I can stick one in the octo tank at least until the octo arrives. 

When are you actually getting it? I didn't even think having one would be possible. That's so awesome :smilie:

• Like 1
2 hours ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

When are you actually getting it? I didn't even think having one would be possible. That's so awesome :smilie:

I’m not sure yet, it depends on if the tank goes through a cycle or not. I used live sand, live rock, and water from my established tank, so fingers crossed. I’ll post about it once I get it 🙂 

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
15 minutes ago, Hannahhhh said:

I’m not sure yet, it depends on if the tank goes through a cycle or not. I used live sand, live rock, and water from my established tank, so fingers crossed. I’ll post about it once I get it 🙂 

nice! Can't wait to see what you have cooked up. You'll be the first one I've ever seen with a home octopus :happydance:

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

Are you going to do a new tank thread for the octopus? Also, what kinda top are you planning on using to keep him inside? So many questions... I can't let my wife see your future tank, cause next thing I know she'll be setting one up :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Are you going to do a new tank thread for the octopus? Also, what kinda top are you planning on using to keep him inside? So many questions... I can't let my wife see your future tank, cause next thing I know she'll be setting one up :lol:

I was thinking I would just post on my current thread. I’m modifying a fluval evo 13.5 gallon. Im

using a lot of plastic mesh and Velcro. 

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
1 minute ago, Hannahhhh said:

I was thinking I would just post on my current thread. I’m modifying a fluval evo 13.5 gallon. Im

using a lot of plastic mesh and Velcro. 

Good deal, can't wait to see it. I love octo's, such fascinating animals. I'm almost kinda jealous actually lol.

2 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Good deal, can't wait to see it. I love octo's, such fascinating animals. I'm almost kinda jealous actually lol.

I really hope it all works out!! 

• Like 2
44 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Will velcro be strong enough to keep in it? 

WhoppingMeaslyCrocodile-size_restricted.gif

From my research I believe Velcro should be strong enough. People successfully use it to keep larger octos from sliding a heavy weighted lid off the tank, and I’m planning on getting a pigmy one (no loner than a finger). To be honest though, I’m also going to be learning along the way. 

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
4 minutes ago, Hannahhhh said:

From my research I believe Velcro should be strong enough. People successfully use it to keep larger octos from sliding a heavy weighted lid off the tank, and I’m planning on getting a pigmy one (no loner than a finger). To be honest though, I’m also going to be learning along the way. 

I was just reading that they don't have long life spans :sad:

This is the current set up for the Pygmy octopus. I will be adding more rubble and smaller rocks for the octo to move around. I also plan on adding Macroalgae and some small leather corals as well. I would love to add some red grape Macroalgae but I can’t find any for sale. I’ll probably end up sticking with red Gracilaria, shaving brush plants, and maybe a Halimeda. 

F2322275-1C93-40A5-BF1B-0CA5F86492B8.jpeg

• Like 7

I binged read your journal today and you've had quite the adventure with the tank and then the upgrade.  You sure get to vacation in some cool spots often.  Is that work related by chance?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TatorTaco said:

I binged read your journal today and you've had quite the adventure with the tank and then the upgrade.  You sure get to vacation in some cool spots often.  Is that work related by chance?

Nope, not work related. Most of my travel is with my parents who still bring me along. 

• Like 5
4 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Gorgeous colouring on that pair

16 hours ago, Amphrites said:

That's a really pretty pair.

Thanks!! I really hope they pair up and eventually breed. I think they could have beautiful babies!

• Like 3

Octo tank is finally all together. I figure out how to block the overflow (I glued suction cups to a filter sponge) and yesterday I added a big clean up crew with hermits and snails. I also added some little leather corals, a few zoas, and some various mushrooms. I’ll have to move the clowns back into the main tank soon, they seem to be getting along since I moved them into neural territory. One think I am worried about is my rockscape. I love the way it looks, but it’s huge and takes up tons of the tank. It’s also all glued together, so the only way to move it is as one big piece. I’m worried about needing to access the bottom of the tank and stressing out the octopus trying to get down there. 

Anyone have name suggestions for the octopus? I want the name to be in reference to something, either a myth, or a tv show, or book etc. I don’t know if it’s a male or female, and I probably won’t ever know (unless it lays eggs). Once I see it, I’ll decide if I want to refer to it as he or she. I’m thinking maybe something related to House Greyjoy (from game of thrones) since their sigil is a kraken. 

• Like 3
28 minutes ago, Hannahhhh said:

Octo tank is finally all together. I figure out how to block the overflow (I glued suction cups to a filter sponge) and yesterday I added a big clean up crew with hermits and snails. I also added some little leather corals, a few zoas, and some various mushrooms. I’ll have to move the clowns back into the main tank soon, they seem to be getting along since I moved them into neural territory. One think I am worried about is my rockscape. I love the way it looks, but it’s huge and takes up tons of the tank. It’s also all glued together, so the only way to move it is as one big piece. I’m worried about needing to access the bottom of the tank and stressing out the octopus trying to get down there. 

Anyone have name suggestions for the octopus? I want the name to be in reference to something, either a myth, or a tv show, or book etc. I don’t know if it’s a male or female, and I probably won’t ever know (unless it lays eggs). Once I see it, I’ll decide if I want to refer to it as he or she. I’m thinking maybe something related to House Greyjoy (from game of thrones) since their sigil is a kraken. 

Myth wise you have the Norse with their Kraken and the Japanese have Akkorokamui. I suppose Medusa at a stretch with Greco Roman. 

Not seen any GOT so cant help there. Octavo? Octavio? Scuba Doo? 

It’s probably too early for me to be posting about this (I don’t want to jinx anything) but I added my octopus yesterday morning! The first 24 hours have gone well and he seems to be acclimating well. He explored a bunch the first hour or so and then found a hiding place and stuck there. I checked on him in the middle of the night and he was doing some more exploring. I’ve been sitting in his room this morning and periodically an arm comes out to explore, but overall he’s still feeling very shy. 

• Like 7
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
7 minutes ago, Hannahhhh said:

It’s probably too early for me to be posting about this (I don’t want to jinx anything) but I added my octopus yesterday morning! The first 24 hours have gone well and he seems to be acclimating well. He explored a bunch the first hour or so and then found a hiding place and stuck there. I checked on him in the middle of the night and he was doing some more exploring. I’ve been sitting in his room this morning and periodically an arm comes out to explore, but overall he’s still feeling very shy. 

That's awesome!!!! I can't wait to see pictures :happydance:

• Like 1