Coral Vue Hydros

Hannah’s tank journal

Hannahhhh

6 hours ago, banasophia said:

Congrats! I’ve always really loved that Nuvo 30L... was a top contender for my next tank, but somehow I ended up impulsively ordering a Biocube 32 today instead when I heard Amazon had a really good deal... Can’t wait to see your new tank!!! Super excited for you!!

Ooh exciting! Are you going to start an additional tank or transfer into the biocube?

1 hour ago, NaturallyKait said:

@Clown79 had a really good breakdown on her thread of how she transferred her livestock during her upgrade. 

Thank you, I will check that out!

1 hour ago, NaturallyKait said:

@Clown79 had a really good breakdown on her thread of how she transferred her livestock during her upgrade. 

Any idea when she posted it, I’m having a hard time finding it. 

• Like 1
NaturallyKait
1 hour ago, Hannahhhh said:

Any idea when she posted it, I’m having a hard time finding it. 

I don’t have a link but look for her nuvo 10/nuvo 20 thread. She detailed the transfer when she swapped from the 10 to the 20 recently. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

New tank!!! 30 gallon long innovative marine. 

The move was pretty simple, I finished up a few hours ago. I accidentally dumped a bunch of water onto my sand which is why it’s so cloudy. This won’t be the rock scape, this is just how everything got unloaded. 

280942F3-50D3-4AD0-9F7E-2DB893CD4922.jpeg

74847A2D-FEE1-4C93-BDD6-D75C71ECE933.jpeg

• Like 5

I upgraded tanks on Tuesday from a 13 gallon evo to a 30 gallon IM. All of my fish and corals did great with the move, with the exception of my hammer coral. 

It has three heads, one seems ok ish, but the other two are extremely deflated and dropping down. They seem somewhat disconnected with their coral skeleton (you can see a bit of the skeleton in one of the pictures). This coral has always had a tendency to occasionally “pout” but this seems worse than usual. 

What do you guys think I should do for it? I have it mounted in an area with a bit less light and less flow than it previously had, in hopes that this world help it adjust. I’m not sure if I should try upping the flow and light now, or doing the opposite and moving it to a more sheltered, darker area. 

There is no brown slime on it by the way. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I really like this coral and would be sad to loose it. 

7A7C04F7-5488-4014-97B9-3B48E0A94072.jpeg

A48B5BEA-7927-41B7-BE18-6F72090F671F.jpeg

Looks like he took some abuse.....keep your nutrient numbers UP and prevent anything else from happening to him.....with a little luck he'll heal up quickly and be back to his old self.

Did you change lights too?

Did you use a light meter to make sure the intensity of the new lights was very close to the intensity of the old lights?

Are there any major differences with the new tank other than lighting?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

Looks like he took some abuse.....keep your nutrient numbers UP and prevent anything else from happening to him.....with a little luck he'll heal up quickly and be back to his old self.

Did you change lights too?

Did you use a light meter to make sure the intensity of the new lights was very close to the intensity of the old lights?

Are there any major differences with the new tank other than lighting?

He fell off his original rock when I moved him. The lights are the same, but he might be a bit father from them than before. Would you suggest moving him closer? Or keep him where he is and give him a break with a little less light?

If you're eyeballing the lights to determine "sameness" you need to use a light meter. 

Our eyes are terrible at comparisons like this (thanks a lot brain!!!) unless you have both lights running on tanks side-by-side with each other so you can see them both in one view.

For now, get a lux meter app on your smartphone and try to get some readings of the old and new light.  Keep in mind that the app can probably be set to use the front OR back camera, so make sure it's set for the camera you're pointing at the lights.  😉

In the long run, I'd strongly suggest blowing $7-$20 on a handheld lux meter...ideally one with the sensor on a cord.  Much better than the app meters.

Sounds like he's in a good location! 👍

• Like 1

I added a blue spotted puffer and a stunner chalice yesterday. The puffer is stupid cute, I really hope he doesn’t go after my corals. If he does, my LFS will take him back. The stunner chalice is the first coral in my tank that one ever seen throw out a sweeper tentacle, and now it sends them out every night. I always thought it was weird that I’d never seen a sweeper tentacle. 

2E772DD3-649F-4385-9BA2-2FBAF62F6AAE.jpeg

0AAE5FA0-62B9-451F-94DD-177F4F63BDE5.jpeg

• Like 5
2 hours ago, MrObscura said:

Chalices can be aggressive and the stunner is know to be particularly so. 

Hm I’m. In that case I may not keep it permanently. I like the ideology of being able to pack my corals relatively close together. Any suggestions on other plate like corals? Any personal favorites? 

2 hours ago, Hannahhhh said:

Hm I’m. In that case I may not keep it permanently. I like the ideology of being able to pack my corals relatively close together. Any suggestions on other plate like corals? Any personal favorites? 

Some montis plate out as they grow. They're quite easy to keep too, if you don't mind adding SPS.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Some montis plate out as they grow. They're quite easy to keep too, if you don't mind adding SPS.

I don’t think I mind adding sps, but I’m not exactly sure how it would change the dynamic of my tank. 

15 hours ago, Hannahhhh said:

I really like chalices so I actually dedicated a section of my nuvo 10 to them.

But with any coral lots of random flow can help with aggression as makes them less inclined to send out long sweepers.

The stunner is a bit different than a lot of chalices in that it often plates out whereas other chalices tend to mat over the rock work. If you're looking for a plating growth form montis caps and scroll corals are a better bet than most chalices.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Update time.

Unfortunately my indo torch didn’t make it 😭 For awhile it looked like it was gonna bounce back, but I think moving tanks stressed it out too much. Moving tanks has also seriously stressed out my purple and green hammer, it’s also doing really poorly. It’s so upsetting to watch it circle the drain without being able to do anything.  

I had abdominal surgery on Wednesday and I’m not allowed to be lifting anything for a long time. That means I’m stuck relying on my family for help with water changes. Does anyone have any recommendations on a pump I can use for water changes (to pump the water up to the tank so that I don’t have to lift a bucket and pour it in?)

Now for the good updates.

I added a few things to the new tank.  I added a Hollywood stunner chalice. While attaching it to my nanorox on the back wall, I accidentally snapped it (they’re wayyy more fragile than I realized!!) but I just mounted both pieces and I think that looks just as good. 

I also added a blue spotted puffer. My dad bought him for me as a present after my surgery, and also because he’s obsessed with puffers. I never planned on adding a puffer, but it was so exciting for me to have a family member showing interest in my tank that I decided to go for it! I would add a shark if it was enough to get my family interested in my tank! 😂 So far the puffer hasn’t gone after any coral. He does go eat the vermetid snails which is great! He’s absolutely adorable! 

I also added two polyps of some gorgeous bright orange zoas (maybe bam bams, I’m not sure). 

Lastly I added a torch of some sort, not sure what it’s called but it’s purple and green. 

Super long post, but thanks for reading!

PS. If anyone has any thoughts/suggestions/ideas regarding my hammer coral, please share! I’m so sad watching it waste away. 

C27E6F97-FD65-46EF-B1C2-C75D4ADEB729.jpeg

A3B00D4B-996F-4736-85AA-435A05C62AF0.jpeg

909D9472-4A23-4C50-9239-53146CC5C9D6.jpeg

C8F88460-666F-43F1-B4CB-CD63F4009884.jpeg

458117E4-CEC4-4E12-99F2-34B718C8B442.jpeg

8E340996-836F-45DF-977B-3B26AD2DA2B3.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
NaturallyKait
7 minutes ago, Hannahhhh said:

Update time.

Unfortunately my indo torch didn’t make it 😭 For awhile it looked like it was gonna bounce back, but I think moving tanks stressed it out too much. Moving tanks has also seriously stressed out my purple and green hammer, it’s also doing really poorly. It’s so upsetting to watch it circle the drain without being able to do anything.  

I had abdominal surgery on Wednesday and I’m not allowed to be lifting anything for a long time. That means I’m stuck relying on my family for help with water changes. Does anyone have any recommendations on a pump I can use for water changes (to pump the water up to the tank so that I don’t have to lift a bucket and pour it in?)

Now for the good updates.

I added a few things to the new tank.  I added a Hollywood stunner chalice. While attaching it to my nanorox on the back wall, I accidentally snapped it (they’re wayyy more fragile than I realized!!) but I just mounted both pieces and I think that looks just as good. 

I also added a blue spotted puffer. My dad bought him for me as a present after my surgery, and also because he’s obsessed with puffers. I never planned on adding a puffer, but it was so exciting for me to have a family member showing interest in my tank that I decided to go for it! I would add a shark if it was enough to get my family interested in my tank! 😂 So far the puffer hasn’t gone after any coral. He does go eat the vermetid snails which is great! He’s absolutely adorable! 

I also added two polyps of some gorgeous bright orange zoas (maybe bam bams, I’m not sure). 

Lastly I added a torch of some sort, not sure what it’s called but it’s purple and green. 

Super long post, but thanks for reading!

PS. If anyone has any thoughts/suggestions/ideas regarding my hammer coral, please share! I’m so sad watching it waste away. 

C27E6F97-FD65-46EF-B1C2-C75D4ADEB729.jpeg

A3B00D4B-996F-4736-85AA-435A05C62AF0.jpeg

909D9472-4A23-4C50-9239-53146CC5C9D6.jpeg

C8F88460-666F-43F1-B4CB-CD63F4009884.jpeg

458117E4-CEC4-4E12-99F2-34B718C8B442.jpeg

8E340996-836F-45DF-977B-3B26AD2DA2B3.jpeg

I use the stock pump from my evo for water changes. I just attach some tubing I got at the hardware store to it and it works like a charm. 

• Thanks 1

Some pumps can be run dry as inline pumps, I think the sycc syncra series all function like this alongside a few others. You thankfully don't need anything too fancy, slower might actually be better haha.

• Thanks 1

Second update, the hammer didn’t make it. I’m sad, but I'm also a bit relieved to have it over with. Now I don’t have to stress over it anymore. 

17 hours ago, NaturallyKait said:

I use the stock pump from my evo for water changes. I just attach some tubing I got at the hardware store to it and it works like a charm. 

Great idea! Thank you!

• Sad 3

So my tank is doing a mini cycle. Yesterday I had high ammonia and nitrite but no nitrate. Also my phosphate was high. The guy at my LFS suggested I do a bunch of water changes to deal with the other phosphate and ammonia, which I have done. Today I have high ammonia again. I spoke to a different person (at the same store) who told me to stop doing water changes. Ugh so much differing advice. Anyway I’ve decided I’m going to stop with water changes for now, add a ton of biocultute ( made by brightwell aquatics), and add an airstone. Hopefully all of these work together to fight the cycle! 

Also look at this GIANT aiptasia I found at the LFS. I guess they’ve given up on trying to kill them off. 

4921A62A-AF06-4303-83B4-E26EA6C6E962.jpeg

• Wow 1
46 minutes ago, Hannahhhh said:

So my tank is doing a mini cycle. Yesterday I had high ammonia and nitrite but no nitrate. Also my phosphate was high. The guy at my LFS suggested I do a bunch of water changes to deal with the other phosphate and ammonia, which I have done. Today I have high ammonia again. I spoke to a different person (at the same store) who told me to stop doing water changes. Ugh so much differing advice. Anyway I’ve decided I’m going to stop with water changes for now, add a ton of biocultute ( made by brightwell aquatics), and add an airstone. Hopefully all of these work together to fight the cycle! 

Also look at this GIANT aiptasia I found at the LFS. I guess they’ve given up on trying to kill them off. 

4921A62A-AF06-4303-83B4-E26EA6C6E962.jpeg

What do they cost?😅😅😅

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

Lol your LFS needs some circumstance rehearsal. They could start with the aiptasias 😁   

By a ton of Brightwell bioculture, what do you mean? 

Im adding the bacteria at the dose they suggest for cycling a new tank. 

• Like 1