Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Hannah’s tank journal

Hannahhhh

52 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

That's awesome!!!! I can't wait to see pictures :happydance:

I don’t have any great pics yet since he’s much more shy when the lights on. I have a short video and I got a red light flashlight today so hopefully I’ll be able to see him more at night. 

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
7 minutes ago, Hannahhhh said:

I don’t have any great pics yet since he’s much more shy when the lights on. I have a short video and I got a red light flashlight today so hopefully I’ll be able to see him more at night. 

Nice!! I'm sure you'll be loaded up with pics before you know it. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Poison Dart Frog said:

Where did you order from? 

Saltybottomreefcompany.com

I was very happy with the way they shipped him, he came with a piece of PVC pipe to hide and a small hermit crab (as a snack I assume). He’s survived the first 48 hours, so I would say they’ve done their job. If anything goes wrong after this point, I’ll have to blame myself. 

• Like 2

Once again I found my mandarin floating at the top of my tank in the middle of the night. She was fine this morning. I’m wondering if this actually happens relatively often, and I just don’t notice because I’m usually sleeping earlier. It seems like a bad evolutionary strategy to float aimlessly around at night, but who knows? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
12 minutes ago, Hannahhhh said:

Once again I found my mandarin floating at the top of my tank in the middle of the night. She was fine this morning. I’m wondering if this actually happens relatively often, and I just don’t notice because I’m usually sleeping earlier. It seems like a bad evolutionary strategy to float aimlessly around at night, but who knows? 

That’s so weird. 

• Like 1
IHaveADegreeInMarineBioBut
39 minutes ago, TatorTaco said:

Maybe you got the "special" fish.  You know, like the weird kid in school that ate glue?

I think it'd more likely be silicon 

• Haha 3
2 hours ago, TatorTaco said:

Maybe you got the "special" fish.  You know, like the weird kid in school that ate glue?

The first time it happened I looked it up and it seems like they sometimes do it. No clue why. 

• Haha 1

Hey can anyone direct me to some good guides on setting up a quarantine tank for all your fish? I believe there is ick in my system so I’m gonna need to quarantine everyone. 

15 hours ago, Hannahhhh said:

Hey can anyone direct me to some good guides on setting up a quarantine tank for all your fish? I believe there is ick in my system so I’m gonna need to quarantine everyone. 

How many fish? 

1 minute ago, Hannahhhh said:

Oh, I’m also wondering if I use a tank for treatment, can I later clean it out and keep coral and inverts in it or is that tank ruined?

Yes you can 

It depends on the meds, if you use liverock and throw a bunch of copper in there you'll probably need to treat it with muriatic acid, the tank itself should be fine after bleach and vinegar with a few rinses - IIRC it literally changes the bio-availability of the copper itself.

10 hours ago, Ratvan said:

How many fish? 

8 fish. It’s not ideal. 

10 hours ago, Amphrites said:

It depends on the meds, if you use liverock and throw a bunch of copper in there you'll probably need to treat it with muriatic acid, the tank itself should be fine after bleach and vinegar with a few rinses - IIRC it literally changes the bio-availability of the copper itself.

Ok that’s good to hear. I was thinking of buying a larger tank for the quarantine, and then later on using that tank for a larger octopus. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am fighting some serious Cyanobacteria right now. It’s overtaking everything in my tank and making me miserable. I’m finding myself scraping the glass once or twice a day. It’s gotten a bit better the last 24 hours, I put my two primes back into acclimation mode and did a big water change. I’m looking into buying a new protein skimmer, I currently have the MAME skimmer and I’ve never been particularly impressed with it.

If any of you love/hate your protein skimmer id love to hear about it. 

• Sad 2

Finally starting to clear up some of this cyanobacteria! I think it’s due to a combo of more aggressive water changes, reacclimating the lights, and dosing nopox. I still have a long way to go, but I feel pretty relieved to be moving in the right direction! 

I added two new corals, a large devils finger leather coral and a pretty hammer coral. I’ll post some pictures in a few hours. 

In other news, I’m thinking of doing a major rescape of the tank. I like but don’t love the way it looks right now, and I think I can do better. The main problem is that there is a huge chunk of rock on the far left of the tank and it makes everything look off center. Additionally it blocks my view from bed of the rest of the tank. I’d like to have the rockscape start lower on the left, and then have the biggest/tallest pieces of rock in the middle to right hand side of the tank. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

With all the craziness going on, I made two purchases for my tank. I ordered an RODI system so that I won’t get stuck without water. I also ordered a lemonpeel angel from live aquaria. I’ve been wanting one for ages and I figure it could be hard to get one in the next few months as international shipping may slowdown/stop. My tank is pretty close to its fish limit, so this guy will have to be the last addition. 

I also added an innovative marine NUVO skimmer last week. So far I like it, but I would say, dont order that skimmer off Amazon. It arrived missing parts, and the replacement Amazon sent me arrived broken. I was able to combine parts from each skimmer to make a working one. I’m hoping that helps my bioload and the Cyanobacteria in my tank. The Cyanobacteria is getting crazy, I think I’m going to have to adjust my light settings to address the problem. 

Also, I wasn’t charged for shipping from live aquaria. I spent under the normal free shipping quota so I’m not sure what happened. I almost think it might have been an error, since they aren’t advertising any free shipping on their website. If any of you are wanting to order stuff, that might be worth checking out!

• Wow 1

The lemonpeel arrived today. He’s much bigger than I expected (and bigger than the size I ordered) so that’s not ideal. 

I decided to try a three (maybe two) day blackout to address all of the cyanobacteria and algae in my tank. Hopefully it’s ok that there is still some light in my room that reaches the tank. 

Also since I’m stuck inside, I’m thinking today I will finally try to do a more complete rescape of my tank. I want to move around some fairly large pieces of my scape, my poor fish will be very upset. I’m planning to do a water change afterwards in case I stir up a big mess. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately the lemonpeel didn’t make it. It spent most of its time hiding and then a day or two in I stopped seeing it. Took me about four days to find it’s body. The gorgonian I added is doing great and I totally love how it looks! If they wasn’t so expensive (or I still had a job) I would totally buy four or five more and have a little gorgonian garden! 

My family and I are in quarantine, going on a few weeks now and it’s starting to sink in that this could last so much longer. Sadly I lost my job until this crisis ends, but I do feel extremely grateful that I live with my parents and am not having to pay rent. 

Stay safe and healthy!!

CDAA406F-1046-4694-9460-F46F7E0F1487.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
Poison Dart Frog

That's a great location for your tank. I set up a 20 gallon on my nightstand in the bedroom. I love laying there watching it with the blue light on. So relaxing before going to sleep.

• Like 2