Top Shelf Aquatics

Pico Reef Contest Ideas 🤔💭💡

Christopher Marks

41 minutes ago, yoshii said:

Sucked it up and bought one today. So expensive for 5 panels of glass and ugly silicone

IMG_20190327_171850985.jpg

Your receipt seems to have a double post 🤔 

• Haha 4
7 hours ago, yoshii said:

Sucked it up and bought one today. So expensive for 5 panels of glass and ugly silicone

IMG_20190327_171850985.jpg

But cheap for the 7 months of joy and comraderie you will experience during this contest.  I know I am going to enjoy you being a part of this contest so thank you!

• Like 6
2 hours ago, vlangel said:

But cheap for the 7 months of joy and comraderie you will experience during this contest.  I know I am going to enjoy you being a part of this contest so thank you!

Aww thanks Dawn, that is very true 🙂 I'm excited to have fun and be more active on NR with this contest! I can't wait to see you set up your tank!

• Like 4
32 minutes ago, yoshii said:

Aww thanks Dawn, that is very true 🙂 I'm excited to have fun and be more active on NR with this contest! I can't wait to see you set up your tank!

good to see you Yoshii! I was wondering where you were as I saw no posting when I came back a few months ago. just as the last pico contest was starting, I met my now wife, hence I didn't participate as I had an entirely different focus. been 2 years now, so she's old hat and I can pursue other stuff again. KIDDING! well, not that she's old hat, but...STILL KIDDING! we're more settled and I can look at stuff I was interested in doing earlier...so I am.  :rolleyes: 

• Haha 2
24 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

What's recommended to frost the back panel? Linky??

Maybe a paint, etching cream, or film.

Rust-Oleum 1903830 Frosted Glass Spray Paint, 11 oz, Frosted GlassArmour Etch Cream, 10-Ounce

Rabbitgoo Privacy Window Film Matte White Window Film Frosted Window Film Static Cling Glass Film Non Adhesive Window Film for Home Bathroom Office Meeting Room Living Room 17.7" x 78.7"

Oh, for anybody looking for a heater and filter combo, the Azoo mignon 150 will fit a Marina 10W  heater inside, and they are both cheap! $11 and $12 on Amazon, respectively-

IMG_20190331_094258.thumb.jpg.548655b10929c0e1a5ae893e29ac24ec.jpgIMG_20190331_094546.thumb.jpg.771c9a904fe11e57e51b62e868d63759.jpg

Figured this may help someone out if they're on a budget or may be addicted to Amazon Prime like I am 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
DaVinciClown
1 minute ago, Lingwendil said:

Oh, for anybody looking for a heater and filter combo, the Azoo mignon 150 will fit a Marina 10W  heater inside, and they are both cheap! $11 and $12 on Amazon, respectively-

IMG_20190331_094258.thumb.jpg.548655b10929c0e1a5ae893e29ac24ec.jpgIMG_20190331_094546.thumb.jpg.771c9a904fe11e57e51b62e868d63759.jpg

Figured this may help someone out if they're on a budget or may be addicted to Amazon Prime like I am 🙂

Thanks! I also have the Mignon 150 and have been looking for heaters 🙂 ordered a cobalt mini therm last night but will switch if it doesn’t fit in the chamber

6 minutes ago, Lingwendil said:

Thanks!  Good info.

1 hour ago, kimberbee said:

What's recommended to frost the back panel? Linky??

Just saw a vid on this! Skip to about the 2:00 minute mark if you want to skip all the mumbo jumbo intro'ing.

• Like 3

I usually just go pick out a suitable-looking shade of blue or black from the paint swatches at home depot or similar, and have them mix a tester portion, usually enough to do smaller tanks no problem.

This guy is extra salty
On 4/1/2019 at 11:55 AM, Lingwendil said:

I love budget builds!

looks good where are your to put the Chaeto?

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, RudyEnt said:

My new addition to the tank.  A Ruby Red Scooter Dragonet.

Are you feeding live foods?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Question,  to our community?  I removed the black sand I had at the beginning of the contest because I thought it was causing my corals and flowers not to open.  When I did they responded positive with the change. My question is should I try putting the black sand in again to see what happens or leave it bare bottom?

20190907_094125.jpg

23 minutes ago, RudyEnt said:

Question,  to our community?  I removed the black sand I had at the beginning of the contest because I thought it was causing my corals and flowers not to open.  When I did they responded positive with the change. My question is should I try putting the black sand in again to see what happens or leave it bare bottom?

20190907_094125.jpg

Sand could keep detritus and generate problems in a small water volume, if you add it, you should vacuum regularly, also maybe two clowns is to much bio load. For 2.5 gal.

It is looking good 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, RudyEnt said:

20190907_094125.jpg

I think it looks good.

I’m running my pico BB and I’m loving it. 

I’d stick with it for a bit longer and see how you feel about in a couple of weeks. 

Black sand would give you a cool contrast with the colors you have in there, but I am BB as well.  I decided to try no sand in this tank because all of my previous tanks have had sand.  I love it because it is quick and easy to clean.  I guess it is a personal preference and could be dictated by any live stock you want to add.

Here's a suggestion: a macroalgae "reef". 90% or so of intentionally placed non-mobile life-forms should be macroalgaes, with allowance for a little bit of coral to add a pop of different colors. That's going to vary a bit depending on what people can buy locally or are willing to get shipped in, but I've seen some pretty cool tanks set up with nothing but a couple kinds of macro and some clever positioning of various items. The bonus is, a lot of them are pretty easy to grow with the right equipment, so beginners could have a go at it too. A lot of them also tend to be pretty inexpensive- $10-$20 a starter chunk. And they don't get enough appreciation! True, they aren't corals, but they grow amongst corals sometimes, and macro-dominated areas are kind of like reefs. 

Alternately, how about ultra-mini picos? Under a gallon and a half, let's say. No fish, of course, exact shape and size up to the competitors.

Either could have a cap put on the expenditure. Or, to make it fair between those who have closets full of things and those who don't, put a limit on the total retail value of the equipment. 

• Like 2
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic