Innovative Marine Aquariums

Pico Reef Contest Ideas 🤔💭💡

Christopher Marks

This guy is extra salty
2 minutes ago, seabass said:

It'd be nice to know if we could run two HOB filters (as long as the total volume of the two didn't exceed 0.5 gallons).

This is what I was thinking but it “would” be nice if one was max .5g and the other would have to be 2qts or something along those lines

@Christopher Marks rules please!!!

14 minutes ago, This guy is extra salty said:

This is what I was thinking but it “would” be nice if one was max .5g and the other would have to be 2qts or something along those lines

@Christopher Marks rules please!!!

2 quarts is 0.5 gallons

I don't think the total volume for ALL your HOB whatevers can exceed 0.5 gallons, assuming we would be allowed multiple filters. You cant call one a HOB,  and call one a refugium, and get an extra gallon of water volume out of the pair.

• Like 1
Christopher Marks

I appreciate everyone's patience with me while I get this put together, the full announcement goes live Saturday, tomorrow.

There won't be many new details about the tank setup itself that haven't already been outlined and clarified here, but it will be OFFICIAL, and everyone will have what they need to get started! 

24 minutes ago, seabass said:

It'd be nice to know if we could run two HOB filters (as long as the total volume of the two didn't exceed 0.5 gallons).

Just 1 HOB filter per tank.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
skyscraper2290
1 minute ago, Tamberav said:

It took me like... literally all day yesterday to do my scape. :sideeyes:

Ahaha that’s how I felt, took like 3 days for me to get my scape completely together

• Like 3

My hubby was like: "why are you sitting on the couch playing with rocks for hours?" Then he saw the little tank on the floor and the lightbulb came on. "What is that tank doing there?" I tried to object and he was just like "No, no" and went back to doing his school stuff.

He didn't want know and just pretended he didn't see it lol 

• Haha 13
  • Wow 1

I haven't told her yet.  I'm pretty sure that  one of these days she'll go downstairs and ask, "WHAT IS THIS?"  I'll tell her, and it will be fine.  Otherwise she would have told me I have other things that I should be doing.  I'm hoping it will be all setup and pretty by the time I'm discovered.

• Like 1
  • Haha 9
skyscraper2290
2 minutes ago, seabass said:

I haven't told her yet.  I'm pretty sure that  one of these days she'll go downstairs and ask, "WHAT IS THIS?"  I'll tell her, and it will be fine.  Otherwise she would have told me I have other things that I should be doing.  I'm hoping it will be all setup and pretty by the time I'm discovered.

Ahahaha, I bought the tank and all the pieces for mine and just said BTW I bought this and am doing a tank for this contest. Basically was just called a fish nerd and luckily had no backlash haha

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

So I brought up the contest at dinner tonight because we are getting close to the announcement!

Me: (excitedly) “There are 44 pages on Nano-Reef already!!”

Mrs. Seafurn: “So are you gonna do it?”

Me: (gingerly) “Thinking about it. I mean I pretty much have everything I need.” 

Mrs. Seafurn: “Sure you do.” (In disbelief)

Me: Well, I may need an HOB filter...oh...hang-on-back filter. I’ll move some corals from the big tank.”

Mrs. Seafurn: (eye roll) (silence)

New topic begins. 

I think that means OK!

I didn’t get a no! AND I may not need to set this up in the dog house after all. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 9
3 hours ago, Tamberav said:

It took me like... literally all day yesterday to do my scape. :sideeyes:

Yeah no kidding............I was messing with rock and you think a 2.5 wouldnt be so complicated...........probably didnt help I was drinking beer while messing with it though...........

Brightside I sort of like it and no fingers lost with the grinder and diamond wheel...........

• Haha 4
righttirefire
15 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

So I brought up the contest at dinner tonight because we are getting close to the announcement!

Me: (gingerly) “Thinking about it. I mean I pretty much have everything I need.” 

Me: Well, I may need an HOB filter...oh...hang-on-back filter. I’ll move some corals from the big tank.”

New topic begins. 

I think that means OK!

I didn’t get a no! AND I may not need to set this up in the dog house after all. 

You're was more well recieved. 

I had her thinking about it when it a "spouses" contest test the knowledge of the non-reefer cohabitant.

But than the new tank became available and she wasnt into the 2nd tank idea and had some unpleasant things to say about 3rd tank... lol... im thinking i had 4 running at one time less than 2 years ago.

• Like 1
Frag Factory

Lots of people saying 1st April start... That's in like 10 days and we don't even have official rules.

I'm holding off ordering equipment until rules are 100% sorted, this isn't going to give any time to sort that out. 

All that I have of the equipment is the tank.  I will order the rest after the rule reveal tomorrow.  I will start stacking rocks sometime this weekend.

• Like 1
skyscraper2290

The rules won’t be much different than what’s listed already. Standard 2.5G with some dimension leeway. HOB only and no sump, canister filter, or dividing walls/AIO. No need to make it more complicated than you need. 

37 minutes ago, righttirefire said:

You're was more well recieved. 

I had her thinking about it when it a "spouses" contest test the knowledge of the non-reefer cohabitant.

But than the new tank became available and she wasnt into the 2nd tank idea and had some unpleasant things to say about 3rd tank... lol... im thinking i had 4 running at one time less than 2 years ago.

Yeah...but your 25 is gonna be awesome!  That’s what you’re getting right?

You had 4 tanks? Whoa...I doubt I could keep 4...just not enough time. 

I brought up the idea of a spouses tank back around page 10 or whenever it was and she said “oh hell no”.   And she’d never let me have 3 tanks. 

Im just gonna lay low, order some stuff off Amazon, and start breaking up some rocks - quietly of course.

• Haha 3
righttirefire
3 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

Yeah...but your 25 is gonna be awesome!  That’s what you’re getting right?

You had 4 tanks? Whoa...I doubt I could keep 4...just not enough time. 

I brought up the idea of a spouses tank back around page 10 or whenever it was and she said “oh hell no”.   And she’d never let me have 3 tanks. 

Im just gonna lay low, order some stuff off Amazon, and start breaking up some rocks - quietly of course.

Yeah, 25 lagoon, Caribbean biotype. Itll be cool.

When we were renting i have the 20long, that i still have running, im 8 mostly RFA tank, but had some sps and zoas. 20 long frag tank in the garage. 10 gal qt tank and a biocube. Lol. It was too much

• Wow 2

3 hours ago, kimdawg said:

Meta, please let know what you think of the light.  I was thinking about ordering the exact same model.

I’m digging this little light. Only played around with it for a minute, I am pleasantly surprised at how sturdy the gooseneck is. Turned it on, pretty bright, then I put the lens in... BANG. Happy camper. I think it’s a good fit for this tank. I've researched it as much as I could. I hear it gets hot, and the remote can be finnicky, and you have to point the remote at the ballast, not the light. But on first impression, for the price, I'm happy. 

B2E9B047-3F95-4D3A-B27D-81D1607AAF00.jpeg

And yes, that is the top of my toilet

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

New topic begins. 

I think that means OK!

Seems like your in to me i just keep secretly buying stuff and hiding it in the closet so i can take out all my "old" gear and say my budget is 30$ 🤠

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic