Innovative Marine Aquariums

Pico Reef Contest Ideas 🤔💭💡

Christopher Marks

This guy is extra salty

Lol talk about old equipment 72A5C447-3AFF-414A-A9D3-69B7D15409BB.thumb.jpeg.4ef45c47969e249b392b0e83e34027b0.jpeg

I have to get ready for a frag swap tomorrow, I get to bust out the 3.5g tank and sell some junk lol.

hopefully I can get rid of some coral and coral containers

CDA81F95-8BD8-4FDB-B8D6-1D677E71F64F.thumb.jpeg.88b494fb537f0f2ae66458b473a687ce.jpeg

5C2FE6D6-45D2-4053-821E-DB6D4B0C7895.thumb.jpeg.bbdaadbbba56a75dc39214cbf6683fd2.jpeg

• Like 5
A Little Blue
8 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

HOB choice - AC50, or Seachem Tidal 55?

Depends. A little more media flexibility with AC50. Maybe a little bit more room as well. 

Better look and surface skimming with Tidal. 

4 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

I vote tidal...has built in surface skimmer.

Is it quiet? I assume so since it's made by Sicce....

1 minute ago, A Little Blue said:

Depends. A little more media flexibility with AC50. Maybe a little bit more room as well. 

Better look and surface skimming with Tidal. 

Do you know what heaters you could pack into an AC50?

A Little Blue
4 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

After a visit to my LFS last week, I would say a bunch. Hydor, Aqueon, Cobalt. Any 7-10watt heater should be more than enough. Double check size but above mentioned come in tinny package. 

• Thanks 1
A Little Blue

P.S I might be overreacting as far as safety is concern but.....

most heater come with suction caps for mounting to glass/acrylic surface. However, at this price point expect it to be a complete junk. Since these heater will go into a thin plastic box I would invest in 2-3 silicon or rubber O-rings to protect your filter from melting if in direct contact with your heater. 

1433E6CB-E4D3-45B5-B0E2-DF61A5AD288C.thumb.jpeg.067a0e09f0c455d1a9afd94eb2ce9c6b.jpeg

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

most heater come with suction caps for mounting to glass/acrylic surface. However, at this price point expect it to be a complete junk. Since these heater will go into a thin plastic box I would invest in 2-3 silicon or rubber O-rings to protect your filter from melting if in direct contact with your heater. 

1433E6CB-E4D3-45B5-B0E2-DF61A5AD288C.thumb.jpeg.067a0e09f0c455d1a9afd94eb2ce9c6b.jpeg

These heater guards work well, my titanium has one

https://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Heater-Protective-Cover-Turtle/dp/B06XQXBZ4W

• Like 2
51 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

HOB choice - AC50, or Seachem Tidal 55?

Tidal55- silent, complete flow control, sicce pump, huge media basket, surface skimmer. 

• Thanks 1
28 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Not really sure. All the pics I've seen is just ppl placing the heater in the filter.

1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

Tidal55- silent, complete flow control, sicce pump, huge media basket, surface skimmer. 

Also has a heater hanger on the side if that is an aesthetic you can live with and want more media room. 

• Like 2
A Little Blue
1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

Not really sure. All the pics I've seen is just ppl placing the heater in the filter.

It makes sense aesthetically. HOB is ugly enough. Intank heater and colorful pebbles might get you closer to the trophy tho. You never know what’s inside the judges mind? 🤷‍♂️

I have tried Hydor 7 or 7.5watts (don’t remember) flat heater and it keeps temp. at steady 78. For reference, my room temp. is 70-71. So not bad for tinny Betta heater without temp. adjustment. Because I don’t trust this cheap heater (heaters in general), it will be controlled for safeguard by Inkbird temp controller. 

Christopher Marks

Raise your hand if your computer crashed today 

Par for the course this month, it seems. I'm side tracked trying to fix it this afternoon so I can get back online. Sorry to keep everyone waiting, it's just me behind Nano-Reef, giving it my all!

I still intend to get the contest posted today, someone hand me a paddle for this creek. 💩

• Like 1
  • Haha 7
  • Wow 1
  • Thanks 2
5 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

Well my AC wasn't quiet....never had a tidal though. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Raise your hand if your computer crashed today 

Par for the course this month, it seems. I'm side tracked trying to fix it this afternoon so I can get back online. Sorry to keep everyone waiting, it's just me behind Nano-Reef, giving it my all!

I still intend to get the contest posted today, someone hand me a paddle for this creek. 💩

Let my filter back in and I will unlock your computer :ninja:

• Haha 7
  • Wow 1

oh my god.. my dog just broke my 10 dollar janky tank. Won't lie... it didn't take much for him to do it... the glass is so thin :eek: grr.

He was playing with a soft rubber bone and sometimes he tosses stuff and swings it around and it slapped the tank right in the side and pop.

IMG_20190324_185340.jpg

IMG_20190324_185840.thumb.jpg.d0345102fe3e781d9a749ac101d3ca9d.jpg

• Sad 3
  • Wow 5
A Little Blue

You better get back on the horse @Tamberav. I see some of those builds, and not only ppl use some “amazing”, speedy cycling methods but few already have corals in their tanks. 🤣

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

oh my god.. my dog just broke my 10 dollar janky tank. Won't lie... it didn't take much for him to do it... the glass is so thin :eek: grr.

He was playing with a soft rubber bone and sometimes he tosses stuff and swings it around and it slapped the tank right in the side and pop.

IMG_20190324_185340.jpg

imageproxy.php?img=&key=c50b0cddbe5b031b

IMG_20190324_185840.thumb.jpg.d0345102fe3e781d9a749ac101d3ca9d.jpg

Perfect now you can come to the dark side and go rimless :lol:

Sorry to hear though.......

• Like 1
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic