inTank Media Baskets

Pico Reef Contest Ideas 🤔💭💡

Christopher Marks

I was the one that wanted an almost anything goes contest, I could never compete with the people here with my hand file and hand saw but I love seeing the crazy crap you guys come up with. 

There will be more contests and I hope the next one appeals to a different group of people.

I am mostly happy to see new faces and members getting excited, I think for someone here said it was their first reef tank? 

• Like 4
skyscraper2290

Getting more and more excited for this to start. Received my light today and finished my scape as well. Got the light mounted and water tested the tank and HOB. Just have to figure out what to do for an ATO that won’t be a huge eyesore with such limited space. 

Picked up the last of the rock for the 2.5g today - getting wet this weekend!  And should be able to keep the entire gear budget under $75 🙂  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, stevejo said:

Picked up the last of the rock for the 2.5g today - getting wet this weekend!  And should be able to keep the entire gear budget under $75 🙂  

Make sure not to get started before March 31st/ April 1st, we think that's the start date.

Believe me, if we could get rock and water in these tanks now, you'd be seeing all kinds of aquascapes already

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

MetaTank is right. You'll need to wait until the official date. But I think we're allowed to do a leak test beforehand (not sure, have to check). 

Leak test should be fine, plenty of people have already leak tested their boxes

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And it's a little grey, but you could probably cycle some rock in another container (seeing as rock from an another tank will likely be allowed).  I bet you'd even be able to epoxy some dry rock together, as long as the tank was empty and dry at the start.  HOB filter, and top mods most likely wouldn't be disallowed if performed now.  But I feel that everything should be documented, and therefore should probably wait.

I know it's hard to wait.  I've ordered a light, and already have a tank, filter, top, and my aquarium decorations. :ninja:

Oh, and full disclosure, I'm cycling rock and sand in a five gallon bucket.  While this might be a 100 yard head start, over the course of a marathon, it shouldn't amount to anything.  Actually, people posting quickly will be giving ideas to those who haven't fully planned out their projects yet.

• Like 3
Snow_Phoenix
6 minutes ago, seabass said:

And it's a little grey, but you could probably cycle some rock in another container (seeing as rock from an another tank will likely be allowed).  I bet you'd even be able to epoxy some dry rock together, as long as the tank was empty and dry at the start.  HOB filter, and top mods most likely wouldn't be disallowed if performed now.  But I feel that everything should be documented, and therefore should probably wait.

I know it's hard to wait.  I've ordered a light, and already have a tank, filter, top, and my aquarium decorations. :ninja:

Oh, and full disclosure, I'm cycling rock and sand in a five gallon bucket.  While this might be a 100 yard head start, over the course of a marathon, it shouldn't amount to anything.  Actually, people posting quickly will be giving ideas to those who haven't fully planned out their projects yet.

I didn't cycle any sand yet - but I am pulling a small piece of coralline encrusted LR from my 20G into the pico. I'm not anticipating any cycling issues, but I'm worried about New Tank Syndrome, even though the LR is very old and mature. I still haven't gotten around to leak testing the tank yet. Guess it's time to do it today. (I keep procrastinating 😛 )

• Like 2

Was at my LFS today, they had some nice little pieces of live rock. Thinking about going back tomorrow to grab it, and throwing it in a bucket with a powerhead and heater until the contest begins

Oh, and picked up a bag of Fiji Pink while I was there for this and the other nano I'll be setting up

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, This guy is extra salty said:

🤔

Hows the HOB design going?

Also, found some stuff at the 99 cent store, lol. A bag of shells, two different sized aquarium nets, and a rather large aquarium back cling. See if I can find a good portion of the cling to cut out for the back of the pico

Shells.jpg

Shipwreck.jpg

• Like 2

Probably biting off way more than I can chew lol -- but I'm totally into giving this a shot. Just started my first reef tank couple months ago, so definitely a newb!

Couple questions:

- How will we need to enter? Will anyone that enters just start a new tank journal to track progress?

- Contest start is 03/31, but do we have to "get wet" on that date?

- How much of the equipment//setup needs to be started on the start date? Like, could I mod a HOB filter at a later date once I collect supplies? Could I start my filtration on the start date without lighting and add lighting at a later date? etc.

• Like 4
14 minutes ago, pricewayne said:

Probably biting off way more than I can chew lol -- but I'm totally into giving this a shot. Just started my first reef tank couple months ago, so definitely a newb!

Couple questions:

- How will we need to enter? Will anyone that enters just start a new tank journal to track progress?

- Contest start is 03/31, but do we have to "get wet" on that date?

- How much of the equipment//setup needs to be started on the start date? Like, could I mod a HOB filter at a later date once I collect supplies? Could I start my filtration on the start date without lighting and add lighting at a later date? etc.

I believe you can do all your mods and collect everything now but you can't get wet until the official date is announced. CM will likely have us take pics of dry tanks with an object in them.

You can use live rock or start cycling dry in a different container now even.

Basically the tank can't be 'running' until said so but you can get it all ready besides adding salt.

I don't think adding lights later or mods to filters would be objected either. It doesn't offer any sort of advantage.

• Like 3
Just now, Tamberav said:

I believe you can do all your mods and collect everything now but you can't get wet until the official date is announced. CM will likely have us take pics of dry tanks with an object in them.

You can use live rock or start cycling dry in a different container now even.

Basically the tank can't be 'running' until said so but you can get it all ready besides adding salt.

Yeah, was wondering more if it's ok to start a little late. Not sure I'll be able to collect tank, HOB, sand//rock, lighting etc. by 03/31 lol.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, pricewayne said:

Yeah, was wondering more if it's ok to start a little late. Not sure I'll be able to collect tank, HOB, sand//rock, lighting etc. by 03/31 lol.

Yes..it should be fine.

• Like 1
MainelyReefer
55 minutes ago, pricewayne said:

Usually the last day of the starting month is your final chance to start your tank for the competition, so I’m guessing you have until April 30th to get wet

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, MetaTank said:

Make sure not to get started before March 31st/ April 1st, we think that's the start date.

Believe me, if we could get rock and water in these tanks now, you'd be seeing all kinds of aquascapes already

Yeah, just collecting bits and bobs now - I know the contest isn't budgeted, but my darling wife has requested one for me, so I'm going to put a personal budget goal on this one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
This guy is extra salty
7 hours ago, MetaTank said:

Hows the HOB design going?

Also, found some stuff at the 99 cent store, lol. A bag of shells, two different sized aquarium nets, and a rather large aquarium back cling. See if I can find a good portion of the cling to cut out for the back of the pico

Shipwreck.jpg

It’s coming along  I have most of it drawn up still waiting for official rules 

loli had the same idea for the background, but I was going to etch it into the acrylic..

i wonder if a HOB refugium will be acceptable.🤔

1 hour ago, This guy is extra salty said:

i wonder if a HOB refugium will be acceptable.

Not sure, but (if under 0.5 gallons) I don't see why not. :unsure:

48 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I thought there was going to be an official announcement this week?

There was a few posts back. CM said HOB only, no more internal filters 

This guy is extra salty
4 hours ago, seabass said:

Not sure, but (if under 0.5 gallons) I don't see why not. :unsure:

Ok well I wonder if both can/will be acceptable.. 🤔

1 minute ago, This guy is extra salty said:

Ok well I wonder if both can/will be acceptable.. 🤔

Two filters adding water volume you mean? Probably not. Maybe if they together totaled 0.5 or under.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Two filters adding water volume you mean? Probably not. Maybe if they together totaled 0.5 or under.

Dang, now I gotta return the other 5 HOB filters I was gonna use on this tank. A HOB on my HOBs HOB... Hang On Backception

• Haha 5
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic