--chris--

Shallow Office Reef - "Great things are not done by impulse..."

Durr!  I forgot about the glass shops.  There are two within ten minutes, I have called them before.  

No excuses, I've had plenty of coffee today.  

• Haha 1

I ordered up a bulkhead since it was going to be quicker than me running to the glass store.  It however, is not the correct size, the hole drilled is smaller than a 1/2" bulkhead.  I have no idea what size it is, but its tiny.  

So back to getting some scrap glass and aquarium safe silicone.  

Honestly, I do have a 50 breeder that would work just as well...no holes drilled in that lol.  

• Like 1

Your going to enjoy the 48x24 footprint. Loads of potential 

• Like 1

I am really looking forward to the 'creative' side of this build once I get there.  If this new job works out, I might treat myself to some giant shelf rock in middle (like a bommie or island).  No sand, its too hard to get good flow in a shallow tank with sand.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, --chris-- said:

I am really looking forward to the 'creative' side of this build once I get there.  If this new job works out, I might treat myself to some giant shelf rock in middle (like a bommie or island).  No sand, its too hard to get good flow in a shallow tank with sand.  

ooh, I like that idea!  and good luck. 

Thinking (I know....dangerous) out loud here....

The decision to go with 1/8" for the patch was kind of a no brainier, its a good fit for such a small application.  

The decision to go with 1/8" for the divider gave me some pause...but ultimately, since a failure of this piece would only cause the pump/ATO section to flood (worst case) I am ok with it.  Besides, it will have 8" of water on one side and 10" of water on the other side.  Very little stress on it.  

I am mounting the power strip to the wall today, have some plumbing parts for the return ordered (deliver ETA is this week) and have the PVC parts to complete the drain side.  I need to find some rock, thinking of going with marco rocks.  

The ATO will be magnet mounted (need to do).  

1 hour ago, --chris-- said:

since a failure of this piece would only cause the pump/ATO section to flood (worst case) I am ok with it.  Besides, it will have 8" of water on one side and 10" of water on the other side.  Very little stress on it. 

Since your building everything new. Why not just go for 3/16 or 1/4? Its what? $3 more?

Having several gallons of fresh ro dumped into your return section isnt good. Then having to take the sump offline, dry everything, and redo a baffle.

• Like 1

Availability of thicker glass is the primary reason.  The local glass shop was not interested in a small order like mine.  I ping'd a few locals to see if they had any broken tanks (I can cut glass up to 1/4"), but nothing panned out.  

If this fails, the ATO would not kick on because the water level would rise in the ATO/return pump section (not drop).  I wasn't even going to add a baffle, but I don't like having to evap a lot of water for the ATO to kick on.  Adding a small baffle gives me a small section for the return pump to sit in, allowing the ATO to kick on more frequently.  

Make sense?  

On 3/20/2019 at 1:28 PM, --chris-- said:

Availability of thicker glass is the primary reason.  The local glass shop was not interested in a small order like mine.  I ping'd a few locals to see if they had any broken tanks (I can cut glass up to 1/4"), but nothing panned out.  

If this fails, the ATO would not kick on because the water level would rise in the ATO/return pump section (not drop).  I wasn't even going to add a baffle, but I don't like having to evap a lot of water for the ATO to kick on.  Adding a small baffle gives me a small section for the return pump to sit in, allowing the ATO to kick on more frequently.  

Make sense?  

If the divider fails, it would mix both ways so it would drop your salinity.

It's interesting you are having such trouble. I usually have done acrylic for AIO baffles, but I have had small glass pieces made without too much fuss.

32 minutes ago, asting said:

If the divider fails, it would mix both ways so it would drop your salinity.

Thats what i said. $3 worth of extra glass is cheap insurance