Top Shelf Aquatics

Shallow Office Reef - "Great things are not done by impulse..."

--chris--

"...but by a series of small things brought together."

-George Elliot

First (5/18/2019) FTS:

BD3F6CE9-6C73-4306-B03D-10DB585B9CB1.jpeg

And so begins my first not-nano-reef build in over 7 years!  This build will move slowly, but deliberately.  Stage 1 will be building the basics and getting rock and water in it.  Stage 2 will be fleshing it out, adding equipment and letting it mature. Stage 3 will be making it a "reef" tank!  

In mid-march of this year I traded a bunch of frags from my nano for a 48*24*12 glass tank and a 48" Tek 6 bulb T5 HO fixture knowing that I love shallow reefs, I would set one up at some point again and because it was a hell of a deal!  Fast forward to October, I picked up a bunch of 50 breeders and a 75 gallon.  Sold the 50 breeders but kept the 75 planning on using it as a sump.  

As of today, my equipment list is:

48x24x12 tank

48x18x18 sump

48" Tek 6 Bulb T5 HO fixture

I have some "infrastructure" work to do prior to diving into the fun equipment gathering, which is where I started today.  

New 20 amp circuit, conduit and 20 amp breaker (DONE)

IMG-2497.jpg

Next in Stage 1 (Now): GFCI outlet, DIY 2x4 stand, light hanging and plumbing, heater, time and return pump.

Stage 2 (Mid 2019): Rock, water, skimmer, light & ATO

Stage 3 (Mid-late 2019): Fish and coral!  

• Like 7
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Not sure anyone noticed...but I installed a junction box instead of a gang box.  -_-

Spent a few $$ and lots of time at the store to figure this out.  I need to pull it off the wall, hope the double gang box fits the holes I drilled in the cement (or drill new holes...) and mount the correct box on the wall.

• Like 1

lol.  Historically my builds are fueled by excitement mixed with anxiety. I just want the details to be correct before setting this up for the 'long haul'.  🙂  Because of that I am moving very slowly...also the holidays and some travel slowed it down.  

• Like 2

Ordered:

Return pump (Jebao DCS3000)

ATO (autotopoff.com, double sensor)

ATO pump (noname 400 GPH ebay pump)

Heater (Finnex 200 watt w/external controller)

I might be able to head off to get lumber tomorrow before work, if that happens a stand might pop into existance within the next week.

• Like 1

Found my answer.  The bulkhead fits 1" PVC, so its a 1" BH.  

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/instructions/article/selecting-the-correct-bulkhead

Ordered two 1" thread/slip bulkheads.  Currently the tank has an overflow and one 1" bulkhead.  There is another hole for a 1" bulkhead that has a piece of glass glued over it.  I am going to remove the glass and make a back up drain using straight PVC.  Things clog, I know this...a backup will be insurance.  

• Like 2

The stand:

Using rocket engineer's template from RC:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1567110

The stands dimensions will be 42(H)*25(W)*49(L), using all 2x4's and pocket drilled joints.  No ply wood, nothing to dress it up. I may coat it in something to protect the wood though...I might need some ply wood (and one additional brace) for the bottom since I plan on using a 48x18 footprint 75 gallon tank as my sump.  I will have to see how well its supported by the bottom frame of the stand before I make any changes to the plan.

That is 14 - 8' 2x4's if I add 20% for scrap and mistakes.  1lbs of 2 3/4 woodscrews and a quart of something to seal or cover the wood.  ~$60 for the stand.

• Like 1
On 1/15/2019 at 1:36 PM, --chris-- said:

Not sure anyone noticed...but I installed a junction box instead of a gang box.  -_-

Spent a few $$ and lots of time at the store to figure this out.  I need to pull it off the wall, hope the double gang box fits the holes I drilled in the cement (or drill new holes...) and mount the correct box on the wall.

CORRECTION:

This is not a junction box!  I didn't lose my mind.

Apparently this type of "high humidity" box requires an 'A-dapter kit' (read that in your best johnny cash voice) for the outlets to fasten to.  Me and the kid working in the electrical department tore through about 9 boxes and outlets last night before we figured this out.  $3 adapter and we are working.  

Received:
ATO Pump

ATO

bulkheads

I went to Menards this morning to buy lumber, picked up some wood sealer (flat white) and screws but no lumber...

They are making it more difficult to buy lumber from them every time I go.  First, they moved all the lumber outside in a pole barn.  Ok, no problem.  Now, you can't buy lumber at the register, you need to go the far back corner of the giant box-store get a slip, then go to the cash register, then go to the pole barn out back.  /rant

I have to take my truck in to the dealer tomorrow for warranty work (if the remote start is used to start the truck, the radio doesn't work...which is also how you use the hvac controls).  If the dealer gives me another truck to use while its in the shop, I will be able to swing by homedepot and pick up some lumber (indoors) and pay for it (at the register).  *finger wagging at Menards*

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Dealership (still!!!) has my truck, so no lumber to build a stand yet.  I did however get my Jebao pump, the 4' HD power strip, heater and a few other small parts.  This is going much slower than I expected, so in the mean time how about some 'work in progress' office pics.  I built the wall, installed the door and heater last winter.  Need to finish the ceiling and terminate a few patch cables to clean up the wiring but its coming along.  

3BF8935D-B2A0-48F0-BAE1-85A21A65B99A.jpeg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I know it looks a little goofy now, but its not completed.  I am putting plywood on top and have plans for that little space to the left of the tank.  The stand went pretty quick, about 2.5 hours total.  

2 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Good progress @--chris--! Are you going to hang your lights from the ceiling?

Yes, lights will be hung but not for awhile.  I don't know if I will be using that T5 setup seen to the left, I have had great luck with LED's and the fans in that fixture need to be replaced if I am going to use it in this office area.  

I have been slow on progress because I was contacted by a friend who works at Fortinet (<---link) about a job they are trying to fill.  Its a dream of mine to work at Fortinet, especially this position, so I have been working through the interview process and studying like crazy in preparation for the technical interview which is tomorrow morning.  I finally had to back off the study because I have hit 'max absorption' (anyone remember that 'married with children episode'?) and will start to get fuzzy on details.  

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Band Hunter said:

Good luck tomorrow!

Thanks!  

Also, the episode I referenced above:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0642312/plotsummary?ref_=tt_ov_pl

When the Bundy TV set blows its condenser, Al decides to try out for a place on a new sports trivia game show, hoping to win $10,000 for a new TV set as the first prize. But when he is denied because of his lack of personality, Al tries to transfer his knowledge of sports to Kelly to win the show for him. But for each fact that she takes in, another falls out.

• Haha 1

My 'sump' has a hole drilled in the bottom for a drain (it was previously a FW breeder tank), I don't want a bulkhead sticking up to seal it so I was thinking of sealing over it with glass...however I can't find glass locally (just pieces too large to be useful). 

Can I use 1/4" acryllic for this purpose?  Or is that asking for trouble?  

Christopher Marks
14 minutes ago, --chris-- said:

My 'sump' has a hole drilled in the bottom for a drain (it was previously a FW breeder tank), I don't want a bulkhead sticking up to seal it so I was thinking of sealing over it with glass...however I can't find glass locally (just pieces too large to be useful). 

Can I use 1/4" acryllic for this purpose?  Or is that asking for trouble?  

Definitely asking for trouble, silicone won’t bond to acrylic very securely. Maybe there’s a local glass shop you could call and ask for a small piece of drop scrap?

• Like 1