Coral Vue Hydros

Sadies Biocube 16

sadie

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2020 at 6:00 PM, I'm Batman said:

What did you use to get phosphates up?

I used NeoPhos. I had to dose like crazy to get them up, then I found the perfect schedule for a few months then they went up on their own.  for the last 2 months I haven't dosed anything and they are higher then I would like (between .4 and .5)) but they have NOT gone back to 0.  I thought it was too high, but I was told some people go higher then that and it's better then 0.

• Like 1

My coral are not doing well.  It is SOOO frustrating.  I get new coral, they start to slowly melt away, I think I find the problem and fix it (bad lighting in 12 gal-I upgraded to new 16 gal tank, heat spikes-I got a chiller, nitrates and phos at 0-I bring them up and keep them there).

I have no idea what is going on, I thought it could be my lighting schedule, but posted it elsewhere, and it's not the problem.  I did get advice to order an ICP test.  I should be getting that shortly.  I did a big WC, though after I did 4 gal, I realized I should have done more.

I lost my green RFA, my back left corner looks so empty without him.  I miss him.  My red RFA (center front on sand bed) looks soo small.  My gold shroom looks good, but my GSP hasn't come out is a while.  My duncan hasn't been out, my kenya tree is drooped most of the time, my wowie shroom is getting small and daisy polyps jumped off their disk.  Sometimes they open, but not like they were.

Here are my sad little corals.  😪  I hope my next pictures will be them doing great.  

FTS 1.7.21

FTS 1.7.21.JPG

gold shroom, GSP 1.7.21.JPG

duncan 1.7.21.JPG

kenya tree 1.7.21.JPG

neon, RFA wowie shroom 1.7.21.JPG

• Sad 2

I got my ICP test kit today.  It actually came with 2 tubes.  One for my tank water and one for my RO water.  I hadn't thought about the problem being with the bottled water I buy,  He said I could use it for my well water, or whatever, but I figured-why not test my bottled water.  Could be something there...we'll see.

I have a feeling I'm gonna get the results back and be like- whaaaaaat?  But they said I could call with questions and I'm sure I will.

I think my Kenya trees are gone.  The big one jumped off it's rock.  I found it and glued it to an island, but it came off that too and now I don't see it anywhere.  The little one shrunk and I can't see that one anymore either.  😪

I wish I would get my test results back from ICP.  I just don't know what to do...

19 minutes ago, sadie said:

This is the water I use.  Not sure if the label can be seen, but it says Processed by- Reverse Osmosis, Ultraviolet Light.

DSC_0349.JPG

Ah yeah, I’m thinking that could be the issue. I would recommend switching to distilled water. I like to use Arrowhead brand distilled water myself, but Walmart may have their own brand that could be fine. (Also make sure you don’t use stuff that says it’s for babies... that baby water has minerals added.)

What light schedule are you using these days? 

10 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Ah yeah, I’m thinking that could be the issue. I would recommend switching to distilled water. I like to use Arrowhead brand distilled water myself, but Walmart may have their own brand that could be fine. (Also make sure you don’t use stuff that says it’s for babies... that baby water has minerals added.)

What light schedule are you using these days? 

I can switch back to distilled, but honestly I used it for a year with no better results.

Here is my lighting schedule:

#1 On at 8:00 AM 

OFF at 8:00 PM

#2 ON at 8:00AM

OFF at 1:00 AM

#3 ON at 7:00 AM

OFF at 11:00 PM

I can make a suggestion on tweaking your light schedule a bit... what time do you typically get up and go to bed? I keep mine on late because I stay up really late and I like my lights to stay on the whole time I’m up. 

I get up around 6:30-7:00 am and go to bed around 11:00 Pm.

I use a VeeGee STX-3 refractometer calibrated with RO water (fluid kept going bad and giving me bad readings)

I keep my salinity at 1.025

I use Red Sea Salt in a blue bucket

To mix my water :

I roll the blue bucket around a bit to mix up the salt.  I use a metal measuring cup and place 1/2 cup salt in a glass pouring measuring cup.  I heat my water to 1 or 2 degrees above my desired temp.  (I do this by placing it in a big pot of hot water)  I splash out a bit of water from the RO jug.  I pour water into glass measuring cup and mix with metal spoon.  Pour it back into gal jug.  Shake.  I repeat this step 3x.  Then I shake the whole jug and test the salinity and adjust accordingly.  I then heat up my next jug and do the same thing.  I usually do 2 gal for a WC.

I then syphon out about 2 gal of water out of my tank.  And usually when all is said and done it's been about 1/2 an hour (which is what they suggest waiting)  Then I pour the new water in the back of my tank and shut my lights off for a bit.

3 hours ago, sadie said:

I get up around 6:30-7:00 am and go to bed around 11:00 Pm.

Okay, for your light schedule, I would suggest trying this schedule to see how you like it. 

Channel 1 - LC1 - White Lights:  10 am - 8 pm

Channel 2 - LC2 - Beauty Lights (Sunrise/Sunset Effect - orange clownfish and corals glow in this phase):   7 am - 9 pm 

Channel 3 - LC3 - Blues:   6 am - 11 pm 

Let me know how you like the colors in your tank during the 3 phases and I can help you adjust further. 

• Like 1
On 1/16/2021 at 12:52 PM, sadie said:

I use a VeeGee STX-3 refractometer calibrated with RO water (fluid kept going bad and giving me bad readings)

I keep my salinity at 1.025

Hey Sadie,

Still coming up with some ideas/suggestions to try to help, as you had asked, to try to get your Biocube to it’s full potential. 🤗 I double checked and see that your particular refractometer is supposed to be calibrated with distilled water (not 35 ppt calibration fluid), so you’re somewhat on track... I would recommend trying switching to distilled water (instead of RO) for both your calibration and for making your saltwater. 

As far as your mixing method, that seems like an unusual method you are using... I like to use a bucket, heater, and a pump to heat and stir the water... I’m wondering if the salt may not be thoroughly mixed or something else could be going on? 

3 minutes ago, banasophia said:

As far as your mixing method, that seems like an unusual method you are using... I like to use a bucket, heater, and a pump to heat and stir the water... I’m wondering if the salt may not be thoroughly mixed or something else could be going on? 

It's how I've been doing it for the last 20 yrs.  The water is clear, not cloudy, with no bits of salt at the bottom of the gallon jug when I pour it.  When you use a bucket, do you mean a 5 gallon bucket?  And when you pour it in your tank, how do you do that without splashing it everywhere?

Now I'm curious how other people mix their water.  I never really thought about it.

• Like 1

Well now I have 3 tanks, so I have to use a brute trash can to mix it since I need 17 gallons/week. I mix it in the trash can with a heater, pump, and thermometer... then once it’s done mixing I attach a hose to the pump outflow to transfer the saltwater to 2 gallon jugs, then I add to the tank using my siphon because lifting and pouring is too heavy and also seems too stressful/harsh on the tank. 

7209DBD1-18FF-46F9-A5AC-DEDF3B186031.thumb.jpeg.f59bd05334c7247bddd4c15f1de71b49.jpeg

92386557-5303-4C77-8D4C-E960CE5E8468.thumb.jpeg.a29f408dcea8fa3f02acbf0c0434010e.jpeg

9190765C-C090-461A-8667-E1BB01C08EF2.thumb.jpeg.90d8fd30873e7b67487b30f903cabbcd.jpeg

• Like 1

Oh... and here’s another thought... at one point my fish seemed like they were gasping, especially at night... so I got a dissolved oxygen test from Salifert and my oxygen level was low... I added an airstone to the back chamber and this seemed to help (though it does lead to some salt creep). 

• Like 1

I guess if I had that much water to mix, I would do it that way too.😁

I will switch back to distilled water and maybe pick up a 2 gal bucket for mixing.  Does it have to be food grade?  I have an extra heater and pump so I can use that.  Won't hurt to try something different.

I think I have pretty good oxygen exchange.  I have kind of a wave maker on my output nozzle, it spins around breaking up the top of the water and I also have my water level just right so my water goes down through my tower in the middle chamber.  But sometimes my snails hang out just at the surface, like 15 of them in a bunch and I was wondering if they were wanting more air.  Maybe I will look into an oxygen gadget.

thanks

• Like 1
2 hours ago, sadie said:

I guess if I had that much water to mix, I would do it that way too.😁

I will switch back to distilled water and maybe pick up a 2 gal bucket for mixing.  Does it have to be food grade?  I have an extra heater and pump so I can use that.  Won't hurt to try something different.

I think I have pretty good oxygen exchange.  I have kind of a wave maker on my output nozzle, it spins around breaking up the top of the water and I also have my water level just right so my water goes down through my tower in the middle chamber.  But sometimes my snails hang out just at the surface, like 15 of them in a bunch and I was wondering if they were wanting more air.  Maybe I will look into an oxygen gadget.

thanks

Well what made me wonder about oxygen level in my tank was just that my fish seemed like they were breathing hard... if your fish isn’t doing that maybe your oxygen level is okay. 🤞🤞🤞

Yes, I would go with a food grade container. Per Marc Levenson of Melev’s Reef, you want a container stamped with HDPE:

“The mixing container can be whatever suits your needs. A bucket, vat, trashcan or plastic barrel will work. The container should be made of a food-grade material, so check to see if it is stamped with HDPE (High-density polyethylene) on its base. If you are unsure, get something else to mix water in to avoid the risk of plastic contamination. Make sure the container is clean and free of dust and debris. A quick rinse couldn't hurt. Between uses it should be rinsed, inverted and allowed to air dry. Keeping it clean and dry prevents bacterial growth and avoids contaminating the new saltwater.”

https://www.melevsreef.com/articles/how-to-mix-change-saltwater-correctly

The 2 gallon blue buckets and white jugs I use are this type of plastic:
539A6863-C0C4-4A13-B97E-F744FB5FB056.thumb.jpeg.aab6152925084a84e03f892c8e0ec51a.jpeg

BF42BD73-9F08-4EFE-8D35-34D5F03C491E.thumb.jpeg.e8863e97ff57dcec16ac5480bb20ef20.jpeg

Here are Amazon links to the items I use, in case they are helpful. The jugs come in a 4 pack, but I think they have them sold individually as well. 

Rubbermaid FG296400ROYBL Roughneck Square Bucket, 12-Quart, Blue
by Amazon.com
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004XMMN24/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_m0nbGb4D83MKG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

2 Gallon Plastic F-Style Jugs With 63mm Caps, Pack of 4
by Poly Farm
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A7TCQGY/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_HjobGbHBV8E77?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Oh another thing I noticed when I was reading the Melev’s Reef thing I posted above is that it said to always add salt to water as opposed to vice verse due to the potential for precipitation... 

On 1/16/2021 at 7:46 PM, banasophia said:

Channel 1 - LC1 - White Lights:  10 am - 8 pm

Channel 2 - LC2 - Beauty Lights (Sunrise/Sunset Effect - orange clownfish and corals glow in this phase):   7 am - 9 pm 

Channel 3 - LC3 - Blues:   6 am - 11 pm 

I would also recommend these settings.  It'll allow you to see all the phases of the Lights. 

On 1/16/2021 at 3:52 PM, sadie said:

Then I pour the new water in the back of my tank and shut my lights off for a bit.

This stood out to me.  I'm curious why you turn the lights off after a water change? 

• Like 1

My first WC doing it a little different.  I got a 3 gal maple syrup bucket and added my 2 gal of water, put in my pump and heater.  Sprinkled my salt in.  We'll see if it makes a difference.

I actually see a bit of difference just switching my lights.  My GSP are coming out and my duncan is open.  Not fully open, but at least they are out.

DSC_0350.JPG

duncan 1.20.21.JPG

GSP 1.20.21.JPG

• Like 2