sadie

Sadies Biocube 16

sadie

I just noticed my frog spawn looks totally different.  The tentacles don't extend as much as they did.   Should I move it to a different spot?

This is what it looks like now, if you scroll up you can see how it looked when I got it.  It looks totally different.

frog spawn 4.25.20.JPG

sadie

sorry for the crappy picture, I really need to use my tri pod😁

banasophia
1 minute ago, sadie said:

sorry for the crappy picture, I really need to use my tri pod😁

Not sure about the frogspawn, but as for the picture taking, I try to rest my iPad against my tank if possible if I don’t have my tripod handy and that often helps avoid the blur 🤗

• Like 1

sadie

I added 2 RFA, a daisy polyp and a meteor shower something.  Everything was beautiful, right out of the bag!!  (hope they stay that way)  The daisy polyp opened up nice when it was in the pot being dipped, it's a little funky right now in the tank.  I'll get better pictures tomorrow.

acc RFA 4.28.20.JPG

G RFA 4.28.20.JPG

metor shower 4.28.20.JPG

R RFA in tank.JPG

daisy polyps 4.28.20.JPG

• Like 1

sadie

FTS 

FTS 2 4.28.20.JPG

FTS 3 4.28.20.JPG

• Like 2

sadie

better picture of m daisy polyp.  I also moved my frog spawn up a little higher.  He was mad yesterday, but is opening up today.  I hope he likes it here and opens up fully.  Frog spawn are one of my favorite coral.

And another FTS with everything settled.

daisy 4.29.20.JPG

daisy polyp 2.29.20.JPG

FTS 4.29.20.JPG

• Like 2

IHaveADegreeInMarineBioBut

Hey! How long have you had your frogspawn? And how is the flow in that area? They don't like to fully extend if they're getting too much flow. 

sadie

I think I got it in Dec last year.   I have it under my power head so it doesn't get blasted with that,  and on the far side of my output, so again it doesn't get blasted.  I would say it has good flow, but not high flow.  I moved it up, hoping it wanted more light. 

IHaveADegreeInMarineBioBut
2 minutes ago, sadie said:

I think I got it in Dec last year.   I have it under my power head so it doesn't get blasted with that,  and on the far side of my output, so again it doesn't get blasted.  I would say it has good flow, but not high flow.  I moved it up, hoping it wanted more light. 

Hm they don't need too much light, and if flow isn't too high it could be due to your parameters. I've heard they're especially susceptible to alkalinity swings, so maybe start keeping an eye on that.

sadie
1 minute ago, IHaveADegreeInMarineBioBut said:

Hm they don't need too much light, and if flow isn't too high it could be due to your parameters. I've heard they're especially susceptible to alkalinity swings, so maybe start keeping an eye on that.

thanks.  I have been keeping an eye on all my param. for a while, they have been stable.  If it doesn't open up in a few weeks, maybe I will move it to a lower flow.

Thanks again

• Like 1

sadie

I picked up a green ricordea today.  Wish it were a different color, but it is a pretty green.  Put it on top of my rocks.  It came on a plug, so for now I just put it in a crevice pretty tight.  I think it will hold.  I've heard of ppl cutting off the bottom of the plug so it's more of a disk, but I don't know how'd I'd do that with out hurting the ric.

close up and FTS

DSC_0264.JPG

DSC_0265.JPG

sadie

just put in another order.  They were having a sale, so I couldn't afford NOT to.  (that's what I told me husband anyway 😂)

I'm trying to get things going in the top half of my tank.  I got a blasto, an acan and some more RFA.  They'll be coming Wed, can't wait!!

• Like 1

sadie

I've never tested my iodine before, so I got a kit.  Is Iodine like Alk where it changes through the day?  Or will it be the same no matter when I test it?  

mitten_reef
15 minutes ago, sadie said:

I've never tested my iodine before, so I got a kit.  Is Iodine like Alk where it changes through the day?  Or will it be the same no matter when I test it?  

no idea on daily fluctuation, but what inspires to you to think that you "need" and iodine test?  it's generally considered a trace element, and simple water change should address replenishing.  IF your tank is full of growing corals (which it isn't yet at the moment), then there is an iodine supplement that you would be adding, necessitating the test. 

For now, knowing the number is good, just try not to chase "perfection".  

• Like 1

sadie
8 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

no idea on daily fluctuation, but what inspires to you to think that you "need" and iodine test?  it's generally considered a trace element, and simple water change should address replenishing.  IF your tank is full of growing corals (which it isn't yet at the moment), then there is an iodine supplement that you would be adding, necessitating the test. 

For now, knowing the number is good, just try not to chase "perfection".  

I've never had RFA so just been doing more research and they suggest an iodine supplement, but I don't dose anything unless I know what my levels are. I figured with regular water changes it would get replaced, but I ordered more RFA.  I figured having a base line is a good idea.

• Like 2

sadie

My order came in!:happydance:  Everything looks good except for my blasto.  I'm hoping it's just stress and it will be fine.

I glued the coral to my rock.  I usually put them in the sand bed first, then move them up, but I figured they were already mad, I would just do it now.  The RFA stayed right where I put them, but the brightest one with yellow is slowly turning a corner to face a different way.:rolleyes:  Oh well.

acan 5.6.20.JPG

blasto 5.6.20.JPG

DSC_0278.JPG

lil red RFA 5.6.20.JPG

orange RFA 5.6.20.JPG

yelgree RFA 5.6.20.JPG

• Like 1

sadie

I posted this on the wrong thread.   so now I will post it here where I meant to in the first place.  FTS

FTS 5.6.20 2.JPG

FTS 5.6.20.JPG

• Like 2

sadie

I moved my frog spawn up a little higher and I think in less flow.  It was really mad at me at first, but now opened up a bit.  Hopefully it will start to extend a more.

I glued the disk to a rock to try and lift it a bit.  When I tried to pop the disk off, the coral came off the disk.  I liked the disk for the sand bed, but it didn't look good on the rock, so I'm glad it happened that way.  I hope it does good there.

frog 5.8.20.JPG

frog 5.8.202.JPG

• Like 1

sadie

FTS:

I actually like it better having the frogspawn out of that back corner.

FTS 5.8.20.JPG

• Like 3

sadie

ordered a bunch of snails.  Figured I'd test my water this morning so I knew everything was good.  My salinity was way off.  I AM SO DONE WITH CALIBRATION FLUID!!!  Just using RO from now on.  My fluid was from Nov and not even half gone.  I have slowly lowered my salinity to 26, I like to keep it at 25, but will lower it more through the week.  I don't want to do too much at once.  Some of my new snails are soo tiny!!  I got some I have never had before, interested to see how they do.

sadie

I am kicking myself right now.  It has been such a long winter (3" of snow on Mothers Day) and now that warm weather is finally here, I have been outside working on my yard and gardens.  I planned to do a WC about 3 days ago, but would be so tired from all the yard work- I would say I'll do it tomorrow...and I didn't.  I just looked in my tank and saw it was 87* and I lost one of my frogspawn heads.  (my crab was eating it and flesh was floating, so I know it's dead)  the other 2 are closed, but might make it.  Everything is mad. 😞

I feel so bad.  I am so frustrated with myself.  My tank was looking so good.  I floated a bag with ice in it.  I will do a WC before going to bed.  I hope it doesn't crash.

Really, really kicking myself.  I hope everything is okay.

• Sad 1

colinadam

Thats too bad to hear. Don't beat yourself up, tanks can be resilient. 

Hope it bounces back tomorrow for you! 

sadie

how quick is too quick when cooling it down?  The ice bag brought it down to 85*.  I was thinking of heating my new water to 82* and hoping the rest would come down over night.  Is that too quick?

sadie
2 minutes ago, colinadam said:

Thats too bad to hear. Don't beat yourself up, tanks can be resilient. 

Hope it bounces back tomorrow for you! 

thanks, it's hard not too beat myself up., they are living critters.  But i do know they can be resilient.  It's just a bummer to loose  something, when it could have been prevented.  thanks again,

sadie

woo hoo!!  False alarm, NOT dead.  just REally, really mad.  Oh my goodness I'm so happy.  I don't know what I think I saw, but it looked like stringy, flesh kinda floating from his skeleton and my crab was right on top of him. I fell so much better, but still feel bad for not cleaning sooner.  I started seeing a little more algae then normal and new it was time, ust kept putting it off.  I'm just relieved my frog spawn is not dead.  

• Like 1