Pod Your Reef

Sadies Biocube 16

sadie

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
2 hours ago, sadie said:

Best news since me coming back from my hyper sleep!

But then I found out it IS glass and the nano mags work fine the way they are.  😁

I too was out of the loop for a while.  I started a 12 gal Aquapod in 2000.  It got old so I got a JBJ Nano cube.  I always had a tank, but when life bot crazy the tank got neglected (nothing died, just looked ugly) I just maintained for years, not adding anything.  Then around 2015 I decided I wanted to get back into it and get my tank beautiful again.  I couldn't believe how much things changed.  I think I am FINALLY on the track now!

Welcome back.

Sadie, the original old crew is coming back.  I saw that IslandofTiki is back we have Tamberav and Sadie.  Tamberav never left but I was gone for a long time, did you see my two builds?  I have a 12.5 gallon AIO in the nano section and also a 30 gallon AIO in the nano section.  If you haven't seen them, I will post the link for you to jump in and give me Sadie approval on both threads!  Great to be back and yes you are right, so many things have changed for me, it's been close to 10 years since I was with a tank.

• Like 2

picked up a toadstool and a kenya tree the other day.  The toadstool came out right away, the kenya tree comes out then goes back in for a bit, then comes out again.  It's been a couple days, but it's still not a big as it was in the store yet.

kenya tree new 2.26.21.JPG

kenya tree 2.28.21.JPG

toadstool 2.26.21.JPG

toadstool 2.28.21.JPG

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
Just now, sadie said:

picked up a toadstool and a kenya tree the other day.  The toadstool came out right away, the kenya tree comes out then goes back in for a bit, then comes out again.  It's been a couple days, but it's still not a big as it was in the store yet.

kenya tree new 2.26.21.JPG

kenya tree 2.28.21.JPG

toadstool 2.26.21.JPG

toadstool 2.28.21.JPG

Sadie,

Beautiful macro shots, what are you using?

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
4 minutes ago, sadie said:

thanks.  I have an old Nikon D60.  I wish I knew how to use it better, but if I can keep my hands steady enough I can get some nice shots.

4 minutes ago, sadie said:

thanks.  I have an old Nikon D60.  I wish I knew how to use it better, but if I can keep my hands steady enough I can get some nice shots.

Yeah, I figured you had a special camera.  I am using my phone Android to do mine, decent but not like yours.  I want to invest soon into a camera designed to just do macros.

Keny tree is opening up a bit more.  My colt coral opened slightly, but then closed. I moved it to less light.  Not in a cave, but under a ledge.  I hope I didn't move it too soon, but it was really mad.

My Keny, colt coral and a FTS

kenya 3.2.21.JPG

colt coral 3.2.21.JPG

FTS 3.2.21.JPG

• Like 2

I thought I saw some GHA growing on my main rock.  At a closer look, it was my emerald crab, Oz.  He now lives in a hole right under my orange RFA.  I couldn't get a great picture, but the green blob under the RFA is Oz. 😁

Oz new home 3.6.21.JPG

• Like 2
On 3/2/2021 at 9:35 AM, sadie said:

Keny tree is opening up a bit more.  My colt coral opened slightly, but then closed. I moved it to less light.  Not in a cave, but under a ledge.  I hope I didn't move it too soon, but it was really mad.

My Keny, colt coral and a FTS

kenya 3.2.21.JPG

colt coral 3.2.21.JPG

FTS 3.2.21.JPG

Looking nice. Your rock flower nems look happy, and that’s cool your crab took up residence under one. The lights aren’t that strong, so I would be surprised it it was too much light for your colt coral. I’d consider moving the Kenya tree up onto the rock and into more light. Several of your other corals might look good if you move them onto the scape and where they can get more light too. 

C82BBABF-B8C5-4A71-8FA0-B0CA7A86AB8E.thumb.jpeg.1411b63347d557a84de3e23a7ce9d013.jpeg

• Like 2
1 hour ago, banasophia said:

Looking nice. Your rock flower nems look happy, and that’s cool your crab took up residence under one. The lights aren’t that strong, so I would be surprised it it was too much light for your colt coral. I’d consider moving the Kenya tree up onto the rock and into more light. Several of your other corals might look good if you move them onto the scape and where they can get more light too. 

C82BBABF-B8C5-4A71-8FA0-B0CA7A86AB8E.thumb.jpeg.1411b63347d557a84de3e23a7ce9d013.jpeg

Thanks, it is looking SO much nicer.  Everything is coloring up nice and opening up.  Thanks for the suggestions too.  Maybe I will put the ricordea and shroom on my islands on the back wall.  I don't have anything on them and was wondering what to put on them. Not sure how to glue the plug to the island, maybe I will cut the tube part off the disk and just glue the flat part to the island.

And my colt coral isn't any happier in the shade either.  I'll try putting the kenya where you showed (I just moved the colt coral off that very spot).  I will put the colt coral on the right side of my main rock.  Maybe it didn't like the flow on the other side.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I moved my kenya tree up and glued it in place. It is so happy. It is getting some green color on the tips which was a surprise, I really like it.  I liked it before, but now I like it  better.

My GSP is finally starting to spread and it's color is so nice!  I still need to move all  my other corals up and glue them, but I have injured my finger and have to wait a bit longer, can't do it with 1 hand. 

kenya 3.25.21.JPG

kenya and RFA 3.25.21.JPG

GSP 3.25.21.JPG

• Like 4

It looks like the new light is working out. 

The Coraline under that GSP looks very purple which is a good sign.  I notice that mine grows a lot when the tank is doing well and turns whitish if things are off.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

I got 3 RFA yesterday.  I have them in my feeding dome on a tonga branch till they attach.  Then I will move them up to my main rock.  They are opening up nicely, but can't get a good picture of them yet.  Everything is doing great and I'm finally getting growth!!  My kenya tree has grown a lot and my GSP is finally spreading.  The babies on my duncan are getting bigger.  I'm getting a little algae on the back wall, but I'll clean that up with my next WC.

new RFA 5.5.21.JPG

GSP 5.5.21.JPG

kenya tree 5.5.21.JPG

duncan 5.5.21.JPG

• Like 4

These crazy critters!  The pink RFA that I thought attached to the rock moved and attached itself to the plastic dome!🙄  But I got a good pic of it. 🙂 the color here doesn't do it justice.

pink RFA 5.6.21.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...

My tank is starting to get some GHA.  I have been removing it manually.  I have to keep cathing my hermit crabs and snials and scrubbing it off their shell.  Too bad it's so invasive, it's kinda pretty in small batches.

My new RFA attached, but put themselves where I can't really see them.  The one in the front between the 2 big ones goes so deep into the rock it looks like a kid that fell in the toilet.😂 

Here are some new pics.  Can't believe how well everything is doing.  For a while I thought I was cursed, it's so nice to FINALLY enjoy my tank again!! 

Full tank shot, GSP (front and back), toadstool with some RFA, green ric, yellow yuma , my colt coral (thought it was a gonner, but it's coming back, getting some nice yellow back in it) and a pic of the duncan babies on the back side of my duncan, they're getting bigger

FTS 5.24.21.JPG

GSP 5.24.21 Back.JPG

GSP 5.24.21 Front.JPG

toadstool and RFA 5.5.21.JPG

Green Ric 5.24.21.JPG

yellow yuma 5.24.21.JPG

colt coral 5.24.21.JPG

duncan babies 5.24.21.JPG

• Like 1

just realized the pic of the toadstool was an older one, it still has the aptisasia in it and doesn't have my new RFA. I think this is the one i took today.  My new RFA is in the middle of the 2 bigger ones.  

Toad stool 5.24.21.JPG

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...
On 5/26/2021 at 8:19 AM, Micro-Reefs Aquariums said:

How did you get rocks to glue on your wall?  Like the way you placed corals on them.  

Sorry, Haven't been on here for a while.  I did not glue them, they are fake rock and magnet islands.  If you look back in my thread, I think I say where I got them from.  They are nice and the magnets are really strong.  I have never had them fall off.

• Like 3
  • 6 months later...

Can't believe I haven't posted new pics in almost a year.  Honestly, my tank was overtaken with algae, posted those pics in another place for help.  Which I got.  I was so embarrassed to post a pic because it was sooo bad, but everyone here is so supportive, which I really needed.  It got better then it got worse, so much worse. Life gets crazy.  Every now and then I feel like I should throw in the towel (for the sake of my tank and all it's critters).

I got desperate the other day and just took everything out and scrubbed it again.  I wish I took a picture of how bad it was.  It still needs work, but my levels are really high so I think if I add any CUC now, they would all die.  I am working on getting it right AGAIN.

Surprisingly everything recovered quicker then I thought except my kenya tree.  It's still mad.  Looking a little better today, but still mad.  Everything else opened up in like an hour.

FTS 3.9.22.JPG

RFA and Duncan 2 3.9.22.JPG

RFA and Duncan 3.9.22.JPG

Kenya and BB 3.9.22.JPG

RFA and toad stool 3.9.22.JPG

xinia 3.9.22.JPG

GSP 3.9.22.JPG

• Like 3

I was blowing stuff off with my turkey baster, and my kenya tree fell apart.  I was hoping another could grow out of the flesh left on the rock, and someone said it could.😊  When I looked closer today, I noticed that the little nub that has always been next to my kenya has actually attached to the rock.  Hopefully that little guy will grow into a beautiful Kenya Tree.  I have never seen one as pretty as this one was, such a shame it got so bad.  😔 I took the other 2 pieces and as directed, placed the "trunk" in the sand in low flow areas.  If they take, I will attach them to some LR and keep one and trade the other,

I named the little nub Nubble.  here is a pic.

Nubble 3.11.22.jpg

Have you tried to check your phosphate level lately? My sinularia and Kenya tree have issues with wilting when my phosphate gets really high (like 2-3). 

Hopefully your Kenya tree will grow back from the nubble… they are very resilient!

3 hours ago, banasophia said:

Have you tried to check your phosphate level lately? My sinularia and Kenya tree have issues with wilting when my phosphate gets really high (like 2-3). 

Hopefully your Kenya tree will grow back from the nubble… they are very resilient!

I have been checking Phos, and it went back down to 0.  I dosed 10 NeoPhos, checked the next morning and still 0 so I dosed 20ml and it went up to .05, which I want to keep it there.  I only had one more packet to recheck.  I ordered some and it said they would be here on the 17th, but they came today!!!  just in time. :happydance:

My KH is NOT 14!  It is 7.7🙄  I watched a video and I was reading .05 instead of .5.  I'm glad I didn't do anything drastic to get it lower.  If I have learned one thing it's go slow, unless your Phos is 0.😅 

Sweeeet, I'm gonna go get some snails!!  My algae is low enough they can clean it, I keep tweezing anything tall enough to get the tweezers on

I'm getting this red, fuzzy, algae on all my rocks.  It's not on my sand bed, and I don't know what it is...It's not coraline algae, though I do have a bunch on those rocks, but I can brush it off.  Will my snails eat this?  They are doing a great job on the top rocks.  I wish they came with remote controllers so you can put them where you want them.😁

Not sure you will be able to see the algae in the pictures, but I'll post them anyway

red fuzzy algae 3.14.22.JPG

red fuzzy algae.JPG

snails working 3.14.22.JPG

3.14.22.JPG

• Like 1