Pod Your Reef

Natalia's Sculpture Bowl is almost a year old!

natalia_la_loca

natalia_la_loca

A couple more new acquisitions :) Includes a piece of the euphyllia from my reefbowl. I had to cut a couple of the branches because they were touching the zoas and valida acro.

38851067910_3f207f9583_b.jpg

• Like 6

The contest is coming to a close!  March 31st will be the official end of the competition and then the voting will begin.  In order to help the community decide what tanks to vote for, each remaining contestant will need to do the following:

1. PM me three (3) final photos that you think summarize your container reef.  The composition for two of these is up to you, but one of them should be a final FTS taken sometime during the month of March.
  2. PM me a written summary of your container reef build and experiences throughout the competition.  This should be no more than 250 words.
  3. These items must be private messaged to me by midnight (Pacific Standard Time) on March 31st.
  • Thanks 1

I think you definitely have everyone beat on the creative aspect! I think your coral selection is also great, each frag has great color and thoughtful placement! 

I almost wish I had gone with a similarly shaped container.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
natalia_la_loca

Thank you so much Joe :) I can definitely say this bowl shape is very nice to work with. The wide opening makes it easy to do aquascaping and maintenance.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, natalia_la_loca said:

Thank you so much Joe :) I can definitely say this bowl shape is very nice to work with. The wide opening makes it easy to do aquascaping and maintenance.

Yeah I realized all too late mine adds too much distortion and is a difficult shape to work with. Although yours too adds quite a bit of distortion. Ohh well, I can switch after the contest.

• Like 1
natalia_la_loca

A little afternoon sunlight in the bowl. The new frags are doing well. I also just added a freshly cut duncan frag (at far left, not visible in photo) but it hasn’t opened yet. Hope it heals!

40083260404_2919962c85_b.jpg

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...
natalia_la_loca

And here's the final FTS of the contest.  But I plan to keep this bowl running!  I really want to see what it will look like with the corals grown out.

41039744182_873fe31c22_b.jpg

• Like 6

Fantastic! I love the creativity of the statues, and it looks nice and lush. Even though it's not all grown in yet, it doesn't look like a frag collection either.

• Thanks 1
natalia_la_loca

Aw, thank you :flower:  I can’t believe 6 months have gone by.  Kind of makes me wish it were a year long contest to give people’s bowls/vases/test tubes/coffee pots time to really grow out!

• Like 3
fishfreak0114

The statues were insanely creative!  It really made your bowl into a piece of underwater art. I’m glad you’re keeping it up, because I want to see it fill in! I’m sure it’ll be as lush and incredible as your other bowl in no time!

• Like 1
4 hours ago, natalia_la_loca said:

Aw, thank you :flower:  I can’t believe 6 months have gone by.  Kind of makes me wish it were a year long contest to give people’s bowls/vases/test tubes/coffee pots time to really grow out!

I agree! Some of the containers are just getting stabilized and starting to show growth and it's going to be really interesting to watch the next six months.

• Like 1
natalia_la_loca

So it’s autumn, and I’m paying more attention to my bowls.  The art project pico is still doing really well, although there have been some hiccups along the way. I haven’t been able to get acros to thrive, and I nearly lost my acans (they’re bouncing back now). Other than that, it’s doing really well at nearly a year old.  Bubblegum digitata are encrusting like crazy. Looks like I need to rehome some nephthea.

31397178938_0e6b586f9d_b.jpg

30332720597_3decde54d9_b.jpg

31397182518_baa40bb502_b.jpg

• Like 5