inTank Media Baskets

Natalia's Sculpture Bowl is almost a year old!

natalia_la_loca

• 3 weeks later...
natalia_la_loca

eep, sorry guys :blush:  December has been super ultra busy. I never did post my November FTS to the build thread. There is talk of one free pass in the contest thread, hopefully I can squeak by :blink:

The art pico is chugging along well, although the new acan didn’t make it. Maybe it was fresh cut?  It’s the first time I’ve ever lost a new acan. The acro, digitatas and zoas are showing good colors and polyp extension though.  I’m hoping to get more corals for it after the first of the year.

25398503768_ca74876ab0_b.jpg

38557836144_1d6092f339_b.jpg

• Like 9
natalia_la_loca

Happy 2018 everyone :happydance:

yesterday during the water change I added a new sculpture with another nephthea frag.  I keep having to frag it in the main reefbowl because it irritates the digitatas when they touch.

I still wonder if I might have some kind of toxic algae like dinos in here. It’s sort of a slimy looking brown film. The snails don’t really seem to touch it, but then they’re all over it after I paint it with peroxide during the weekly water change. 

Regardless, the corals seem to be doing well. Good PE, and the SPS are starting to encrust.

39405110422_200f356273_b.jpg

• Like 10

I was browsing through the pico contest FTS thread and paused on yours. Is that man meant to look like he's pooping out the digi? If so you nailed it. :lol:

Really though the sculptures are a very unique idea. Nice work

I especially like the SPS coming out of the chest of the one in the back there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
natalia_la_loca

No big news in the art bowl. The new nephthea decided it didn’t like hanging out on the new sculpture, so it’s now growing in a low-visibility area in back of the bowl. I’m growing out some SPS frags to trade in for more corals so I can brighten up this bowl. 

Oh and I have some new residents. I was lazy and didn’t dip that short-lived acan. As a result, I now have some isopods (yes I need to clean the glass lol):

25778856248_51ddce5a4e_b.jpg

• Like 5
natalia_la_loca

I got a few new coral frags at a local reef club meeting the other day. Now the bowl is starting to brighten up a bit!

oh and by the way, I glued another nephthea piece on the new sculpture to replace the one that wandered off. (The wandering nephthea is just barely visible at lower left, in a gap between the rocks)

39697297142_239f1cb403_b.jpg

27949565559_1b2fa565cf_b.jpg

• Like 7
  • Wow 2
3 hours ago, natalia_la_loca said:

I got a few new coral frags at a local reef club meeting the other day. Now the bowl is starting to brighten up a bit!

oh and by the way, I glued another nephthea piece on the new sculpture to replace the one that wandered off. (The wandering nephthea is just barely visible at lower left, in a gap between the rocks)

That nephthea is so vibrant and beautiful! Did you find that locally?

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, natalia_la_loca said:

I’m already callin’ it, this’ll be the winner of the most creative prize!

whats the middle one, looks like a tail to something?

• Thanks 1
natalia_la_loca

Aw, thank you :flower:  

Yup, that’s a tail. It’s not really visible in the pictures, but that’s a sculpture of a dead dinosaur. I like to explore cycles of life and death and extinction and rebirth and how all those things interact with human activity. Plus, corals growing on sculptures in a fishbowl look cool :P 

@Lula_Mae, the nephthea was a gift from a local reefer. I really lucked out! It’s a wonderful coral.

• Like 4
17 minutes ago, natalia_la_loca said:

Aw, thank you :flower:  

Yup, that’s a tail. It’s not really visible in the pictures, but that’s a sculpture of a dead dinosaur. I like to explore cycles of life and death and extinction and rebirth and how all those things interact with human activity. Plus, corals growing on sculptures in a fishbowl look cool :P 

@Lula_Mae, the nephthea was a gift from a local reefer. I really lucked out! It’s a wonderful coral.

Don’t you think we all, as in reef keepers, have at least some level of sub/conscious fascination of life and its cycles? I for one just loveeee seeing how much life I can pack in a glass cube, no idea why but I always have. But I like everything biology related, from micro bio to horticulture to aquaculture. I think it’s just amazing how absolutely full of life Earth and especially reefs are, from the microscopic organisms to mammals. Reefing definitely lets you explore the full glory of life on every level.

Yep I definitely see the dinosaur now, it’s on it’s back :D

• Like 3
natalia_la_loca

Here’s a top-down shot taken just before feeding today. I feel pretty good about the little acan in the middle, that was a $30 find at the LFS! The bigger acan to the left is nice too.  The zoas at far left, not so much, they’re pretty brown. Will probably give them away and put something more colorful there instead. 

There’s still lots of room for more coral :happydance:

38883963525_a23de461ab_b.jpg

• Like 5
  • Wow 1
natalia_la_loca

Replaced the flooring in the art studio yesterday, so I had to temporarily move the bowls. Easiest. Move. Ever. 

I love picos so much :wub:

38902747455_c7cb78401c_b.jpg

• Like 8

Natalia, this pico is just divine. Artistic and thoughtful like all your tanks have been. I really enjoy getting updates from your thread.

I was a bit shocked to see a hard coral attached to one of those poor figurines bum :D but I think it looks better from a different angle :lol:

Or it is the head? hmmm.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
natalia_la_loca

As mentioned in my main reefbowl thread, I took an 8-day trip last week. My art pico did okay, but not as well as the main reefbowl, maybe because the former isn’t as well established. Also, I cannot get those new nephtheas to stay put on the new sculpture! So I’m going to let them go where they want to go, and put something different on the new sculpture. Happily, the new acans are doing well.  Here are the current pics. Need to clean that glass and maybe get another trochus snail!

40026430252_9e59d8caaa_b.jpg

40059059461_ced7e2b7ce_b.jpg

• Like 5